• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-15 Inflight Emergency

Occam tells me that the pilot panic / brake fail theory is an unnecessary complication to the (known) fact that he was too fast for the amount of runway available to him.

I agree 100%. I was mainly just observing that he doesn't seem to lose much speed during his 10,000 ft run-out, and suggesting a reason. Just a likely event in the chain, not the cause by any means.

This whole discussion really begs the question: What does the F-15's POH or USAF equivalent say on the topic? I wonder what was he 'supposed' to do?

no wing produces induced drag on the ground roll, by definition

There's no induced drag when all of the weight is on the wheels, but it seems to me that an airfoil should still be producing induced drag as long as it's supporting any weight. Although the line between form and induced drag may blur as you decelerate, holding the nose off the ground sure doesn't make you go faster, and an unloaded airfoil doesn't slow you down much.

As long as we're on the topic of ground-effect, did anyone notice the couple cycles of PIO during the flare? It looks like she handled a bit differently when in ground effect, 100 kts too fast, with one engine out.

I think that the peanut gallery, not having been the PIC in this case, is armchairing this one way too much considering it all comes from a grainy 6:25 Youtube video.

CDN Aviator said:
I think that the peanut gallery, not having been the PIC in this case, is armchairing this one way too much considering it all comes from a grainy 6:25 Youtube video.

Well, that's the peanut gallery's job, isn't it?  ;D

Back