• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extreme heat in army tanks endangers troops; forces use tank blanket to keep troops from baking

Interesting. I wonder if any Canadian media are picking up on this yet. I'm going to do some searching.

Not gonna happen,the money has been earmarked for a second Timmies in Kandahar instead.

Thanks for the head's up and highlights, Fireman.  Good catch - I only managed to find the original article link in German.

Wait for it, IHS and JackD, wait for it....  In fact, let's see how long it takes for MSM to catch this.

For the record - first sighting on Army.ca posted by fireman1867 at 101157EST Feb 07

Now, we wait..... ;)

I think the German's are trying to make something happen here, the leo2 has yet to see combat, and they want to prove their product is worth buying.

I am sure the Canadian media will be all over this story in the next few days...

Hauptmann Translation Services at your, well, service :D

Quote:
Canada wants German tanks for Afghanistan
10. Feb 12:50

Allegedely, German "Leopard 2" tanks will soon be in service in Afghanistan on the front - of all things with Canadian crews.  The federal government (of Germany  Note: "Bundesregierung" literally means "Federal Government", but usually refers to that of Germany when no national adjective is used, such as here)is ready to agree to the deal.

Canada wishes to use German "Leopard 2" tanks in Afghanistan in its battle with the Taliban.  On Saturday, a spokesman of the Ministry of Defence (German) confirmed a report from the news magazine "Der Spiegel" of request from the government in Ottawa.  The tanks will allegedely go in action with Canadian crews.

The Canadian Forces currently use the older version, the "Leo 1".  But for the battle against the Taliban the Canadians wish to have the latest available equipment from the market.  As the Ministry of Defence (German) reported, the Canadians are to have asked Germany if some 20 "Leopards" of the latest variant, The "A6M" with special anti-mine protection, were available.

Advantage: More firepower.

Because the producer, Krauss-Maffei Wegmann cannot supply these right away, Canada wishes to lease the tanks from German stocks for 2 years.  Thanks to an increase in strength of ammunition, the Leo 2 has more firepower than the Leo 1, is armed with a 120 mm Cannon and can engage targets out to 4 kilometres.  It has a 1200 horsepower engine and can reach a high speed of 70 kilometres per hour, which is impressive for a 60 ton vehicle.

The Federal Armed Forces have some 40 of the A6M.  Canada wishes to purchase a further 80 older version "Leopard 2"s.

Getting around the export "rules":

The Ministry of Defense is treating this request positively, according to the spokesman. A binding decision has not yet been made, however.  This may be due to a ban on exports of armaments into areas of "tension".   The federal security council - a top secret meeting sub-committee of the cabinet - has to preside over each such export request. In it sit the Federal Chancellor, the Ministers for defense, the exterior, interior, the economy and finances as well as the inspector general of the Federal Armed Forces.

(Edit: just fixed a word I mistranslated: it's "Spokesman" not "Speaker" in the final paragraph)

Cool.

Canadian Menu for Taliban Terrorist.

Apetizer
25mm Chain Gun Whoop Ass

Main Course
120mm HESH with a side of 7.62mm 4B1T

Desert
155mm M777 Launched HE

Wow this is exciting news hope that it is true

ArmyRick said:
Cool.

Canadian Menu for Taliban Terrorist.

Apetizer
25mm Chain Gun Whoop Ass

Main Course
120mm HESH with a side of 7.62mm 4B1T

Desert
155mm M777 Launched HE
First of all, HESH does not come in the 120mm smoothbore variety.  HEAT maybe?
Second of all, I'm sure that by "Desert" you meant "dessert" :D

Whether or not this will be true, this is currently rumour, so treat it as such.  After all, the MSM is usually so reliable, right? :D

A bit of a dumb question here  ??? Assuming the Leo 2s do hit the ground...what are we going to do with the existing Leo C2 that are already there?

This new is every exciting indeed...if it gets approved.  :salute:

I'm still hitting myself in the head for not being able to go on tours.

Rental tanks are not without precedent.  I watched the RCD's take the CAT (Canadian Army Trophy?) in the late 70's.  They were rental or leased Leopards and if IIRC the boys said at the time they used optical sights as they had not had the time to train on the new system. 

I hope is is true as well.  Nice to put away the line.... "being a zipperhead is a tankless job"

First English language media spotting:  101615EST Feb (Army.ca plus ~4 hours) - sounds like AFP actually called the Ministry (German) for confirmation, as opposed to just "scabbing" the story from Spiegel and attributing it to them.  Shared with usual disclaimer...

Canada to buy German tanks for Afghanistan duty
Agence France Presse, 10 Feb 07
Article Link

BERLIN - Berlin Saturday confirmed reports that Canada is to buy German Leopard tanks to equip its forces serving with the NATO multinational force in Afghanistan.

The defence ministry said it was examining a request to that effect from Ottawa, confirming a report in the magazine Der Spiegel due to appear Monday which says that 80 A4 tanks could be bought from the German army reserve.

‘The ministry is in principle favourable to this request,’ a spokesman told AFP.

Spiegel says the Canadians also want 20 Leopards of the latest A6M type which are mine-resistant, of which the German Bundeswehr regular army has 40.

But as the German manufacturer Krauss-Maffei Wegmann cannot deliver them at once, Canada wants to lease them from the German army, according to the magazine.

Canada has 2,500 troops deployed against the Taleban in the south of Afghanistan, while Germany has a force of 2,950 serving with the NATO International Secuirty Assistance Force in Afghanistan and Uzbekistan.

Edited to fix typo, add time

Sounds like my translation wasn't that far off.  I should work for a media outlet, translating German press stories for our media

*hint hint* anyone?  Bueller?  Hello?

ha ha

In principle.....

Remember troops, don't believe it until you see them coming off the C17 in KAF.

All is rumour and speculation at best until it's ever announced.

I can see the headlines now.....        ::)

"Army.ca members confirm rumours of Leo 2 purchase"

Regards

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
Sounds like my translation wasn't that far off.  I should work for a media outlet, translating German press stories for our media

*hint hint* anyone?  Bueller?  Hello?

ha ha

Far too committed to the truth and context, I think, to fit in well in the milleu....  ;D

Recce By Death said:
I can see the headlines now.....        ::)

"Army.ca members confirm rumours of Leo 2 purchase"

Regards

It is true we ARE the best source of reliable rumors. We now have our own in house translation service that puts us in the big leagues. ;)

The first few are free.  Once you're hooked, then you'll have to pay  >:D

Still, the point is well made: this is RUMOUR only!!!!!!

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
The first few are free.  Once you're hooked, then you'll have to pay  >:D

Still, the point is well made: this is RUMOUR only!!!!!!

and then Jack Layton will come after you to get the Government to pass a bill banning Hauptmann Scharlocahrot user fees!! ;D

Back