• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex-service people Medically released or on a Pension

Bin-Rat

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All, how's things..
I have started this post to see if we can get some info together for people who have been through the medical pension board and people who are going through the process now.. and maybe some people who were of the 44% who actually got a pension on the first application to one's who have had to appeal the 2nd, and 3rd levels, as to thier success.. So to Start..

Myself I was released in 93, 3B.. cause of problems or pain I experienced with my knee's... but 2 year's ago, I was actually diagnosed with Greater Trochanteric Bursitis... now I have to figure out how, cause thier isn't any documentation about GTB and I feel I am about to have a big war with the VRMB about getting the pension for it... Anyone else have any simular injuries..

also if you have a problem let us know and maybe together someone might know an answer... okie doke... thanks everyone.. and I hope if you are going through this like me, I wish ya best of Luck..

Sad that the government won't just acknowledge your service and give you your pension. Seems to me more and more people are fighting to get what they deserve, they've done their part and its time for the government to fulfill the promises made at enrollment, being a pension in the event of a med release. I'm afraid things like this will deter people from joining, for fear of this happening to them.

Ya it is... There is one report that alot of people who were medically released did a survey, I never got it.. but Umm,  here is what it said, it was done in 1997...
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Minister/eng/Stow/table_e.htm and this is quit alarming when you read it.. it's a jaw dropper... I thought I was one of the few untill I read this...

Also, a friend of mine who I am trying to get on here, he was a MWO when released, he had sustained a injury while playing hockey for the Military.. and accroding to this article... http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/10_03/10_03_question-coverage_e.asp he should have been awarded a automatic pension when he applied... well he did apply and it was denied, he appealled, again denied, appealled once more and they finally gave it to him.. but according to what ya read there, it should have been a automatic, yes sports injury, you get your pension but.. nope doesn't work that was, they do the deny and delay tactic, and well it works for them cause after the first application or second appeal alot of people drop it.. and don't continue to persue it... which they should be doing, but again they shouldn't be doing this deny and delay....
It was brought up in a discussion at one point where if you are medicaly released, you should get a min 5% right off the bat.. and then if you feel it is worth more, like a 30 or 40% that's when you do the application, to fight for more then the 5%.. but that'll never come around...
Well for me it's been 4 months waiting for the paper work and for someone of the BPA (Beaural of Pension Advocates) to get hold of me to talk to me about my appeal... someone told me I would be looking at 6-8 months...
Worst part is, no matter how long it takes.. the Medical pension ya get, will only go back 3 years... they might extended it 2 more year's if for some reason there were delay's in getting diagnoses.. that were beyond your control... anyhow I'll leave it as this for now.. have a good one...

Bin-Rat, your 1st mistake was dealing with the Bureau of Pension Advocates. Get someone from the outside, the Legion or a lawyer. Although I had no problem with the pension part I did have to fight for some subsequent entitlement. The problem with the members of the Pension Board is that they were never in the service and have not a clue what a Soldier goes through.
All though the following does not have anything to do with the Pension Board their method of dealing with people is similar and you have to fight fire with fire, A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Hep C. In my opinion I thought it came from a blood transfusion I had while undergoing heart surgery (for which I receive entitlement). Sunnybrook Hospital said that I only received one unit of blood, which I thought was nonsense, and that the donor had been traced and did not have Hep C. My claim was refused. I contacted the War Amps who put their lawyer on it and he found that I had received seven units of blood products which could not be traced and my claim was honoured.
Keep a diary of everyone you speak to about your problem, record their answers, the time, day, telephone number, name and any other pertinant information and give a copy to your lawyer or Legion advocate.

Absolutely right, Art.  My CofC told me of my 3B release after 3 years(!) on TCat.  My first stop was the Legion rep, who had an office in the MFRC in Edmonton.  She got the ball moving very quickly, and my pension kicked in within the year.  Maybe I'm one of the fortunate few, but I cannot stress this enough:  DON'T TRY DOING IT YOURSELF!  The Legion loves to chew on DVA's leg, and will do a much better job than you can alone.  Don't give up the fight, you're entitled, go after it...

Chimo,  Kat

Well for the appeal I am going through now I have asked a legion Services Officer for this Area to be involved for the appeal.. Only because the BPA dicked me around last time...for the first app I put in months before my released date...
But seeing now, in 2002, I was actually diagnosed with Greater trochanteric bursitis, and from reading pages and pages about GTB to me this is the reason why the Knee injections and 2 knee surgeries didn't work... But the MO and Orthopedic Spec on Ottawa didn't check for GTB, and therefore I have nothing on my Medical Docs about it..
And I find from what I have been reading, that's a big thing for them to deny it, is because there is no record of it on your service records.. or medical doc's....

Now someone mentioned the war amps... I didn't know they actually took on cases like that.. I was under the impression that they dealt in amputation(s) but didn't know one could get hold of them for other condition(s)... have to look into that more....

Well from talking to a friend who was here in London, and then moved out to B.C. he say's the DVA, and BPA are a heck of a lot better then the one's he had to deal here in London with... All he had was problems with the one's here.. Hmm maybe I should move out of London then get the DVA/BPA involved maybe I'll get better representation...

Oh I tend to fight this all the way... from the one page I read somewhere on teh medical review board.. they were only 2 ex-Military member's.. I guess they don't want to many ex-military on the board or they might say .."Hey your Accepting to many applications" and of course that would be because these member's know what it is like to be in the Military and understand it better....
Well thanks I'll check the War Apms.. and see what I can find out.. Okie doke, well the best to ya, and have a good one..

Actually.. sorry was gonna finsih message but a memory just kicked in.. To Art.. now that you mention your problem I think I can remember reading something about that, something about a case like your's, can't think of were I read it though.. somewhere on the net...
Seems to me you had quite the battle as well... Oh well.. it'll come to me one day...

Okie doke, again thanks, take care and catch ya later...

Back