• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EX Cougar Salvo 2012

Fair points, all. I understand where the onus lies, but I believe that if these things aren't available, there's nothing wrong with standing up and saying "hey, if I'm going out this is what I need."

Bruce, I've read that some WW2 troops were essentially lost 90% of the time, making their own way across Europe looking for something to shoot. Maybe it was a result of this type of event? It's been said that reservists and conscripts won two world wars and tied Korea.

The ghosts of those who planned D Day must surely be wailing in torment at this.  It's like every time is the first time, 50 first dates, army style.

A bunch of problems came to light on this ex.  That said, what I told my troops and what I'll say here now is that this was not, by far, the worst ex I've ever been on.  In my experience, every time we try to run a bde-level ex we experience similar teething issues.  I've seen worse, and in the Reg F as well.

The GD situation was noted.  It was my troops that helped rescue the lost souls at range 28, and the details of that situation were forwarded up.

The ration situation was also noted and forwarded higher.  I agree that this was a major issue in terms of overall dissatisfaction with the ex. 

Again, I know there were problems, and I'm not defending anything, I'm just saying that I've seen worse.  We worked through a lot of problems, and I was impressed by our ability to do so (maybe if not our ability to plan).

Willy - The trick will be if the higher ups actually read the after action report from this Ex prior to the next one so that this stuff does not happen again.

Is 24/48/78(day 3 is special) no longer taught to troops? I personally learned that in army cadets so many moons ago. I believe it follows simple daily survivial, but correct me if I'm wrong... Kinda folllows the trick me once my fault, trick me twice...... Food water and ammo some, more important than others. I suppose I'm curious as to why troops got hungry, and why they 'actually' got hungry. I'm simply a Lineman, I generaly am provided with sustenance regardless of kitchen ownership, yet it has been an ex or 2 since I tried the fine vittles of a flying kitchen. Is 72 not much time for each troop WRT food?(72hrs). Thank you for any input.

Strike said:
The suggestion to remedy that would be that everyone must have at least 2 x IMPs with them, do a radio check prior to leaving/being left, and the CP should have them check in every hour.  If there is no reply then send someone out to find them.

It's funny, because I could swear that's basically an SOP and has been for a long time. Groundhog Day...

Redeye said:
It's funny, because I could swear that's basically an SOP and has been for a long time. Groundhog Day...

And it takes an RCAF PAO tp point it out too.  ;)

Strike:
... The trick will be if the higher ups actually read the after action report from this Ex prior to the next one so that this stuff does not happen again.

It is not all in the higher ups basket, although the Bde Comd is responsible. It is the Bde staff, led by the COS who put the exercise together (visualized/coord/plan/write/execute).

By the same token, unit "staff", senior unit members receive the  Bde's plan, and should be able to visualize the good/not so good and the gaps.

Gaps are not just a Held Up Drill.

I have seen many lessons learned, learned again, and again and again over 45 years.

Part of the problem is new staff, with different experiences/agendas are posted in every couple of years. Part of the problem, especially the infantry (speaking of 38 CBG) is, the Infantry have not run a Coy HQ CP, either on FTX or CPX, for decades. Push/pull, reports & returns, they have no clue.

Several FTXs, the CQMS distributed ammo directly to the troops at Pl level, along with everything else, in situ.

Capt. Happy said:
And IIRC, their rules are no alcohol in the field....21 or not ;)

Not in my Army.  Alcohol consumption is a command decision.  I served in a Battalion where the CO flat out refused to issue "two beer per man".  It was all or nothing.  We have an NDA for a reason.

We have an Army that has proved its ability, again and again, to stand toe to toe with a wily (if completely unsophisticated) enemy.  Who are we to say that those folks can't handle a few beers?

In the words of Joda, "there is no try.  There is do, or not do".  If I am ever in charge, I will say "there is no two cans.  There is either drink, or not drink."

What a common sense approach!!!! Big boys rules.....you get out of hand you get warned, fail to heed and spend the night in the digger with action to follow. Get wrecked and then are unable to perform duties the next morning action to follow!

PPCLI Guy said:
Not in my Army.  Alcohol consumption is a command decision.  I served in a Battalion where the CO flat out refused to issue "two beer per man".  It was all or nothing.  We have an NDA for a reason.

We have an Army that has proved its ability, again and again, to stand toe to toe with a wily (if completely unsophisticated) enemy.  Who are we to say that those folks can't handle a few beers?

In the words of Joda, "there is no try.  There is do, or not do".  If I am ever in charge, I will say "there is no two cans.  There is either drink, or not drink."

I'm fully on board with that  :cheers: , but I would hazard to guess that one of the caveats to our soldiers training on a US establishment was adherence to their alcohol in the field rules (this is based purely on previous experience training on US bases; I was not part of this ex in any way, shape or form).

Just for shiggles, here's the U.S. military Info-machine's version of events - highlights mine:
Plane load after plane load of troops and equipment land on the airstrip at Gowen Air Field in preparation for a joint combat support mission.

Operation Cougar Salvo 12 hosted nearly 900 U.S. and Canadian service members who traveled more than 1,000 miles with approximately 160 tactical vehicles April 23 to May 5.

Soldiers from the 158th Combat Service Support Battalion of the Arizona National Guard, and members from the 39 Canadian Brigade Group of the Canadian Forces Army Reserve, British Columbia, came together to create the joint multinational 39th Sustainment Support Element during the 14-day exercise.

"We're here for our annual training, and have combined with the 158th CSSB out of Arizona with the intent to provide combat service support to the 39th Canadian Brigade Group," said Canadian Army Lt. Col. Kirk Jones, commander of the 39th Service Battalion. "This is a chance for us to work with our U.S. allies, and to understand how sustainment and combat support works in a NATO context."

This training was beneficial for strengthening multinational integration efforts, and helped exercise some of the Arizona National Guard’s own unit capabilities.

“This is a great opportunity for us to exercise support coordination,” said Maj. Erik Schroeder, acting commander of the 158th CSSB and executive officer of the 39th SSE. “The support we provide is everything from maintenance to transportation, supply management, recovery, repair, ammunition management, ammunition distribution, to name just a few significant components."

While efforts to safeguard the freedom and security of its member countries by political and military means remain a constant mission for all NATO forces, the combat support training helped U.S. and Canadian troops with understanding how to work together while deployed.

“We want to continue to build that security cooperation agreement,” Schroeder said. “We don’t go to war by ourselves anymore, which is why it is important that we continue to push for this integration on all levels.”

In addition to providing full spectrum logistic operational support to Cougar Salvo 12, the 39th SSE also conducted military drills, such as convoy operations, in order to prepare for future deployments.

“Our soldiers have this rare opportunity to train together and understand each other's mission,” Jones said. “It's a chance for them to learn how each other's armies do business.”

Although, the initial planning for Cougar Salvo 12 took nearly 10 months, it proved to be a worthwhile event for multinational training.

“The planning phase involved multiple reconnaissance missions of the training site and conferences to learn how each nation conducted their operations,” Schroeder said. “Given the success of Cougar Salvo 12, a future joint multinational operation, Western Defender 13, is already being planned for next year in Wainwright, Canada.”
Brace yourselves for Western Defender 13, I guess?

Is it wrong to be hopeful? Though this wasn't the best training experience for me personally, I think the concept of multi-national training is fantastic. I'd like to think we can build on the high points of this EX and make it even better in the future. As much as we all love to bag on Wainwright, I think it will be a better location for an event of this size.

Just my 2 cents from the Recce side:

Overall I thought the ex wasn't too bad, at least from our perspective. We got a chance to work our way up from single vehicle live-fire to patrol level to troop level live. The MPRC (range #1) was an excellent training tool for our guys, especially the younger guys who hadn't experienced a reactive target range for vehicles. There was a bit of a learning curve, as the arcs were a bit confusing, and the targetry didn't always go down when hit (programming issue, i'm told). We weren't allowed to fire on the move, which was a bit of a downer, but I believe that was the standing range safety rule. Still, it was good training for the gunners and crew commanders. I wish we could have done more off-roading to give the drivers more of a challenge, but we were pretty limited by environmental factors, as well as range safety issues.

I'm glad we had the chance to use the VBS2 simulator at Mates. I think we had almost universal praise for the system (when it didn't crash), and it gave the troops a chance to do scenario-based training they wouldn't normally get. It was especially useful for the first-time crew commanders in my troop. I know that the system has its disadvantages, but I really hope we get these simulators pushed down to Brigade or (ideally) unit level. I know I would definitely put them to good use.

During the culminating ex (Aka "The Culminator"), we weren't really employed to the best of our abilities (on my run through. I hear the afternoon iteration went better). I get the feeling that not everyone knows the capabilities of what recce can do, especially when acting in support of other combat arms units. Granted, our role in the attack as flank security / direct fire support could have been MUCH better served by a more substantial armoured vehicle with a much more potent weapon system.. but I'll leave my g-wagon criticisms for another time and place. I know that the range safety shackles were pretty tight, and especially since this was 39CBG's first time going to lvl 4 live, the pucker factor was up there. Although it's always a bit 'lame' to have to restrict your tactics to conform with safety for a given range or scenario, I'm very happy that nobody was injured seriously and nobody got shot. This bodes well for future training of this level, hopefully the future leadership can pull off something similar and more ambitious next time around.

Also, WRT the food / water issues; I know Recce is a different beast than the infantry, but every time we left Gowen Field for the Orchard Trg Ctr, each vehicle had a full jerry of water and 1-2 MREs per man, depending on what our RQ passed down to us. We didn't have any major haybox issues aside from minor gripes (raw potatoes... in Idaho, no less  :blotto:).

Some criticisms:

- Ammunition was inconsistent. More than a few times we were issued with 7.62mm sans tracer. During the Culminator, my gunner had exactly 5 tracer rounds for 3 boxes. Would have been much better to have more tracer to go around for everyone. We managed to secure some 21mm inserts for the M72 for our guys to practice with, only to find that there were no M72 tubes anywhere. Somewhere, someone forgot to bring them, i guess. All of our insert ammo went unused.

- I'm sure it's been noted before, but our comms gear sucks. When it works, it's actually somewhat decent, but when it doesn't, it's incredibly frustrating. We were really lucky to have a dedicated signaller attached to Recce Squadron, and we kept him busy trying to resolve the nonstop problems with our NAUs and CI boxes going down. Throughout the ex, I only had half the vehicles in my troop with working comms.

- There was a vehicle roll-over simulator somewhere in the training area. I say "somewhere" because I didn't even know it existed until we saw the PAO's slideshow video at the "smoker". I asked my leadership why we didn't get to go and use the facility, and they said they didn't know it existed either. It would have been extremely valuable training for my guys to have experienced. Especially given the top-heavy nature of our vehicle, rollovers are a constant danger, and it's quite poignant ( ;) )that we missed the opportunity to get some excellent training.

PatrickO said:
- I'm sure it's been noted before, but our comms gear sucks. When it works, it's actually somewhat decent, but when it doesn't, it's incredibly frustrating. We were really lucky to have a dedicated signaller attached to Recce Squadron, and we kept him busy trying to resolve the nonstop problems with our NAUs and CI boxes going down. Throughout the ex, I only had half the vehicles in my troop with working comms.

Just off the top of my head, do you idle the GWagons when you're observing or stationary over 1000 RPM? I've noticed TCCCS being super touchy with power, it likes a lot of it. Keep in mind the NAU is basically a 386 computer, so its slow, old and prone to failure. Its on the way out. Sounds like with all those problems, you need a signaller at your unit to have things checked out before you deploy. I've only ever seen failures like you describe when the equipment starts to overheat or its been a while since the software was flashed.

Good learning experience on troubleshooting the equipment for your signaller though!  >:D

We don't idle them when stationary, as a general rule. More noise = easier to detect. For short halts, the vehicles stay running. Also, if a vehicle has been on radio watch for a while, we run the engine for ~20 minutes every 2 hours or so to recharge the batteries. I've seen G-wagons run their radios all night long without turning on the engine once, but their batteries are usually too depleted to start up the engine, and the vehicle will require a boost.

I saw some really oddball glitches on my vehicle during the ex:

- The rear CI box identified both radios as amplified (A1, A2) even though only one radio had an amp, while the front CI box showed them correctly (a1,A2).

- If you made the rear CI box the master, it would 'clone' its settings to the front CI box, so that the front one would also show both radios as amplified.

- Halfway through the ex, one of my radios could no longer Tx, and anything it received was static. Also, it could barely receive signal from radio checks done within arms reach.

- I suspect this problem was more to do with the G-wagon, but every time the engine was turned on, the radio system reset. If you keep the master power ON, the radios are supposed to stay operational when the motor is started. For some reason, my vehicle reset every time. Maybe it was an electrical fault, but we couldn't find a fix for it, so it got written up.

The signaller got a chance to flash a few NAUs and CI boxes, which was good. Any word if they're going to replace the CIs? There's got to be a faster way to change radio channels than the existing method. I need to stop before I start ranting and taking this thread off topic  :facepalm:

Con 3,2,1 or 3,1,2 (in most cases) then 3 then choose the channel. You can do it in about 5 secs if you know what freqs are in what channels.

Back