• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex Charging Bison (Winnipeg)

I wonder who these people would call if their world fell apart. Terrorists, or the like entered their neighbourhoods, and started imposing their will uncontested. The RCMP, The Canadian Forces, or would they just stand on their soap box, eat crap, say they like it, and ask for more. I quite like Hilliers quote "We are The Canadian Forces, and Our job is to be able to kill people.". Raw, but true without question. If you don't like it, that's okay. As was said before, Soldiers have given these people the right to stand on their soap box, as well I have the right to tell them to go piss up a rope............

There were supposed to be hired protestors for this exercise anyways. The way I see it, these groups will just add some realism to it all.

Come on out and protest. It will not stop me from doing my job.

BCM

Has anyone emailed these people? I have been emailing them back and forth. They are so entrench in their thinking its just incredible. The fact that at least two of these people have gone to university amazes me. I asked the one guy what program he was in or if he even graduated and he didnt respond to that. Their information gives no citation at all and theres a million other things I brought up about their site which gives incorrect or unsourced info. Completely unprofessional. Just pisses me off.

Friday May 5th is soldier outreach day according to their schedule of events. Now I wish I could be there for that, I am sure it will be entertaining to say the least. I have had a few friends who believe all of the misinformation on their web page and as Piper said, they don't make me so angry anymore either. Instead of anger I look at them as a cheap form of entertainment. I was in a bar back home one night and was told that I am a killer and an instrument of Western "New World Order" blah blah blah. Eventually the bartender had  enough of her crap and informed her that it was time to leave. Now the bar I was in is full of people who are anti military but little do they know, the owner of that bar (I used to work for him many years ago) is a former Lebanese soldier who has been there done that (if you get my meaning) in his tank. I guess I don't really have a point to my post but though I would add that anyway. Cheers.

Ill keep you all informed on what happens over the next two weeks with these people..as I've been tasked out to the ex!!!

They have there own set agenda and they think our soldiers are the enemy. :crybaby: :cdn: >:D :salute:

I must admit that I got quite pissed when I saw that website. We go through so much crap for them, and this is what we get in return. Sometimes, I catch myself hoping something will happen, just so they can get it through their heads that they need us to be doing our job.

I agree with the protesters.  Winnipeggers won't like having a bunch of soldiers in the city (in our downtown no less) in the same way we wouldn't want tonnes of police officers marching through our neighbourhood.

[Mod edit - save your hatemongering for elsewhere. Welcome to the warning system]

These exercises don't belong in cities. Go do it in the bush where these exercises belong.

kumbaya1980 said:
I agree with the protesters.  Winnipeggers won't like having a bunch of soldiers in the city (in our downtown no less) in the same way we wouldn't want tonnes of police officers marching through our neighbourhood. If you guys want to march around with weapons training for the holy war (a war you're creating rather than thwarting), don't do it in a civilian area.  I can just picture all you all prancing around with your guns with massive hardons waiting for the public to suck your collective dicks.

These exercises don't belong in cities. Go do it in the bush where these exercises belong.

Well I'm sorry that you feel that way sir or ma'am, however if you wish to complain about it we ask that you do so in a slightly more constructive manner. reference your second to last line which sounds as if you are simply attempting to provoke us.

And with all due respect, these exercises DO belong in cities. In order for us to train more effectively to deal with the situations overseas, it is imperative that we train in real world scenarios. the 'clean' environments that the military training areas on base provide, do not give us a realistic idea of what to expect when deployed. Also on a personal note I feel that Canadians have a right to see their military in action up close, so they can see where their taxpaying dollars are going. Rather then Squirrel us away from the populous like some sort of dark dirty secret.

Regards
- josh

*Edit* I noticed the poster Above has edited their original post.
My Response:

Once again, its not an issue of showing off, its an issue of being able to train realistically. Though I have a feeling that no matter what I say, you are not going to be receptive to it, and would rather believe what you want to believe. That is your right in this country. Four Soldiers Died in Afghanistan on Saturday to once again Protect your right to say what you want... Regardless of how Tactless or Ignorant it may sound..

kumbaya1980 said:
  You all must get massive hardons thinking of what it will be like to pretend to blow crap up and kill people in the middle of a city where the onlooking public will ooh and ahh. 

Very bad timing to post a very provocative and offensive message on this site.  Go away before the dog pile begins...and I'll be leading the charge.

General comment on the ex.

As a student reservist at the University of Toronto, it is sickening to hear the comments that Torontonians make towards the armed forces. It is very distressing that students, and more importantly professors at “Canada’s top academic institution” make such ignorant and unjust comments towards Canada’s involvement in Afghanistan, and abroad.

It is often very difficult for a person in my place to express my views without being disregarded as a war mongering jar head. Given the fact that I live in a highly leftist neighbourhood where Olivia Chow (Jack Laytons wife) is my local MP, who can barely carry out a conversation in the English language( who I have personally spoken to). To just trying to personify the likelihood of the army trying to conduct an exercises in my area. In Winnipeg, you don’t have it to bad. It is very enlightening to see that the administration of the city of Winnipeg would even allow such a excellent opportunity. On the UofT campus in early March, there was a convention held to highlight Canada’s war making ability, and how we “overthrow democratically elected governments” along with other hippie propaganda BS that made my stomach turn. This event organized by the Haitian student association was completely biased, and many of their arguments had no substance whatsoever!

Although looking past the misinformed, biased and insensitive people, there are Torontonians, and more importantly Canadians as a whole that strongly support the armed forces. People that understand our history, culture and sacrifices that Canadians made so we can live our lives free, and in peace. Just because certain groups of people speak up the loudest, does not mean it represents the silent majority. For all the men and women overseas, a strong minority of people in Toronto do support you. This is why when I put my uniform on, and haul my kit onto the subway to travel up to my armoury, I walk with the outmost pride and confidence. Daring  those people to give me a sour look. Not because I’m some kind of weekend warrior hotshot, but for the people that are dedicating their lives to the Army, and are overseas serving. A strong Pat on the back for the Winnipeg just went up greatly. The boys from our regiment are envious that you will be able to conduct and ex in your city, and demonstrate the professionalism of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Just my two cents, maybe a bit more.

"I agree with the protesters.  Winnipeggers won't like having a bunch of soldiers in the city (in our downtown no less) in the same way we wouldn't want tonnes of police officers marching through our neighbourhood. If you guys want to march around with weapons training for the holy war (a war you're creating rather than thwarting), don't do it in a civilian area.  I can just picture all you all prancing around with your guns with massive hardons waiting for the public to suck your collective dicks.

These exercises don't belong in cities. Go do it in the bush where these exercises belong."

I was really thought you were going somewhere then you have to go and say something that totally disregards your whole post. Sad really.

If you get the right to protest on OUR streets, why is not our place to train on OUR streets? I dint understand why YOU people seem to fear YOUR troops?? You would rather see armed gangs then armed soldiers....sad ..really sad.

Anyways just so you know the only problems that should arise from this ex is from you protesters not from the forces. If you could just sit back and watch for 10-20 mins you'd see that this is just for training nothing more and if you want to learn more then about what you "think" (strong word) is going on..stop a troop and ask...he would explain the full purpose of this ex...but if you want to choose the other road, only you and your protesting friends well look like the bad guys.

:warstory: :salute: :cdn:

I'm totally pumped for this ex. Never been on the guns in an urban environment befor, other then the armoury parking lot. It will be a huge learning experiance for the soldiers who will be joining us in the streets of the peg. I just wish the Arty had blank rounds to make it more real. And to scare the crap outta those protesters. All i know is that if a hippie trys to get on me, i'm gonna kick him in the head.

I for one am looking very much forward to a week of excellent training in Winnipeg. I have worked in a Sim crowd control scenario on Active Edge/04 (I think)and even under those rigidly controlled conditions got a taste of the reality of it. I look forward several years later to applying what I have learned to realistic training and here we have the opportunity. I am bloody well good to go!!!!

Now a note for the people who call us criminals and babykillers etc.
1. Nobody protested our presence in Kelowna, Nobody resented us or traveled across the country to dump on us there.
2. I chose to serve my country. I am spending a week of my holiday time in Winnipeg training, I am spending another month in Gagetown training. Because I chose to do so. My holiday time is spent working, because I want to.
3. My Military experience is a family one, My wife and my son accept and support me in my involvement even though it means time away from them. They adjust their lives to support me and my work with the Forces.

I know I am not unique, there are many many soldiers I know with this same level of personal commitment.

Can those who purport to hate us have this same level of devotion to their task. If they cherish their belief that we are wrong Then I say good for them, enjoy the freedoms hard fought and won some 60 years past. If this is mearly and excuse to generally stir the pot and crap on soldiers doing their job I say shame on them.

-----And el_wiersema if you kick someone in the head you will be charged to the fullest extent of Military Justice, It's not worth getting in trouble for some hair headed goof who would like nothing better than to see you get arrested because he is acting like an asshole. Think always, Always think-------

el_wiersema said:
I'm totally pumped for this ex. Never been on the guns in an urban environment befor, other then the armoury parking lot. ....... I just wish the Arty had blank rounds to make it more real.

Now, don't be surprised if you don't bring your toys with you and instead land up acting as Infantry.  That is the more realistic scenario.  You will have blank rounds, but they won't be 105.  More like 5.56.  ;D

Being in Winnipeg, I think a little realism is necessary. If you are going to have a simulation, you need simulated protesters (read enemy), and how to control them. (just bring lots of baby wipes & pampers). It is only proper that if they are going to protest what an armed force can do, then they find out what kind of response would be applied if they were, in fact, an armed insurrection. You need to gather up the detainees, house them in a compound, and interrogate them. Great practise for the troops, a little reality for the protesters. :crybaby: ;D

I think you'll realise 3/4 of these people are misinformed. If you have nothing to do with this Ex and live in Wpg ..more then likely..unless you go looking for us...then you wont even know we were there. Its funny I read in the Wpg Sun this morning that Immigrants might be scared and run for cover. Please.. Its really really sad. We are Canadian troops training in Canada for missions Canada might send us on...why should we have to be put on a base and hiddin away??

Yeah Wiersema , The guns do kick ass. But in my experience with 38 Bgd exs, the planners have an uncanny knack of giving all the cool stuff to the infantry and then F***ing over the gunners. Happen in 04 when they made us enemy force in Kenora, worst bloody ex of my life.  Then again the 4 feet of wet slush that fell overnight wasn't to nice either.

Anyways, I'm not saying that this ex will suck, but they took away our live fire trip, they are making us fire filthy blanks all week and we are going to be gate guards at the red river camp.

CYA Sat

At least we'll be getting blanks. Befor it was just gonna be dry missions, and you know how much bag those suck.

Back