• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Entering the CF and YOUR Money....

Zinking said:
Just don't get married.

Stop spamming the threads with your useless, unfunny and non helpful posts.

Go read the Guidelines.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hey guys, I have a serious question about pay and didn't want to have to start another thread.

The starting pay for a NCM Pvt. is 2751. Is this before or after deductions?

As well, if its after deductions, how much would that work out to be? Anyone know?

Before someone says ask a recruiter, I did, they were not clear on the answer and they said it would be around $1400.00 after deductions. I could not live off $1400, and that is a rediculous amount of deductions if its true..

Hope someone can help!

Depends on what province you live in. You need to pay federal and provincial tax which is most of it. You're also paying rations and quarters unless you've got a family.

No one joins the Army for the pay, its horrible off the bat.

Understandable. But I dont make a great income at the moment either and the CF will at least give me a career and something to look forward to as far as advancement.

I am just wondering if I ended up in Ontario or Alberta what I reasonably would expect to earn. I have a partner who makes a very decent income. However, $1400 regardless if your a Pvt in first year is way to low to do anything with. So I am looking for confirmation on that since the recruiter wasn't very clear.

That is you monthly Pay.....and that isn't enough to live on when you are restricted to Quarters for most of your Basic Training, have a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in (most of the time), food in your mouth.....You may or may not be allowed to buy a beer.......Weekends may be the only time you have off.......HOW MUCH do you need?

Ask your partner what they have left after they pay for their rent/mortgage, food and drink, electricity, water, sewer, cable/satellite, phone/cell/internet and then compare.

The abbreviation for Private in Canadian and other Commonwealth armed forces is "Pte". "Pvt" is short for either "pervert", or "Private" in the US of A.

Pay rates express pay prior to deductions, as deductions can vary widely.

George Wallace said:
That is you monthly Pay.....and that isn't enough to live on when you are restricted to Quarters for most of your Basic Training, have a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in (most of the time), food in your mouth.....You may or may not be allowed to buy a beer.......Weekends may be the only time you have off.......HOW MUCH do you need?

Ask your partner what they have left after they pay for their rent/mortgage, food and drink, electricity, water, sewer, cable/satellite, phone/cell/internet and then compare.

Well, when I say it isn't enough, it is in a sense. I realize how basic works but basic and SQ is only so long then you need to get a place and I would not be living on base with a partner.. that much I know. I am not a  drinker and not a big cash spender but I work at a crappy job now and my take home is $1800-1900 a month after deductions on average. I am fine with the current pay scale that is provided by the CF "website" but not from the quote given to me about deductions. If you do the math $2751 to $1400 is $1351 in deductions.. half of the income to deductions? does that seem reasonable? Even if I was single if someone has a car payment, insurance, cell phone/internet, food bill and rent.. the usual crap... it doesn't leave much at all for savings or anything else really.

None of us have mentioned the contributions you are also making towards a Pension.

If you are not going to be living in the Shacks and eating in the Mess Hall after your Basic, but in your own residence, then that money (Rations and Quarters) would not be deducted; which again changes the figures.

You should look at the next couple of pay levels.

Most of us, here, got through the training system at the equivalent (in whatever year's dollars) pay rate at which you're looking without starving to death or being deprived of shelter, vehicle, furniture, and alcohol.

You should also worry more about how much (little) spending money you'll have after your future divorce.

Loachman said:
You should look at the next couple of pay levels.

Most of us, here, got through the training system at the equivalent (in whatever year's dollars) pay rate at which you're looking without starving to death or being deprived of shelter, vehicle, furniture, and alcohol.

You should also worry more about how much (little) spending money you'll have after your future divorce.

I've been with her for 7 years and I work shift work midnights and she works days. If it wasn't going to work it already wouldn't have. Thank's for the tip though  :salute:

I know it gets better, but I am trying to figure out how much I would earn in my first year after the non-elective deductions are taken. Anyways I am assuming this answer is not going to be answered directly here so I will try to find out from someone who is at my stage of the game. Thank's for the help though.

You may be one of the lucky few - or perhaps working different shifts helps.

Others among us have earned our cynicism.

Loachman said:
You may be one of the lucky few - or perhaps working different shifts helps.

Others among us have earned our cynicism.

Well if you had issues with your marriage/family situation I suppose that would be the case, but to be frank, I dont need help in that area. I came here to discuss finances though..

Infidel86 said:
Well if you had issues with your marriage/family situation I suppose that would be the case, but to be frank, I dont need help in that area. I came here to discuss finances though..

You'll be fine. Just don't be looking to buy a Benz or Porche on an Army salary.

Plenty of people all across Canada have had 20+ year careers and have had started a family at some point and they too survived and lived comfortably (within ones means). Keep in mind, living off base generally means your housing costs increase, although base housing is set at market value so it may not actually be a big difference.

Just remember though, you don't know what tomorrow holds. You could end up in the Army and being relocated every 3 years by the CF and she might jump ship because she'd rather be somewhere permanent.

Spectrum said:
That's funny. I see them everyday.

Those would be the people wondering why there aren't any deployments/OUTCAN postings to make the fat-cash to pay off for said Benz/Porsche. 

Dimsum said:
Those would be the people wondering why there aren't any deployments/OUTCAN postings to make the fat-cash to pay off for said Benz/Porsche.

....and the same people that would later gripe about how hard it is to live in the Army?  ::)

PrairieThunder said:
....and the same people that would later gripe about how hard it is to live in the Army?  ::)

No, those are usually the ones that didn't realize it was expensive to have 3-4 kids, a wife that doesn't work, and a rusty pick up truck.

Has anyone used the SISIP financial advice services?  They're $6 a month for junior NCMs and officers and $12 for all others (including former personnel). They provide financial advice, investment ideas, budgeting, etc. I'd mostly be going to them for medium- and long-term investment advice, portfolios, etc. and a neutral opinion I might not be getting from personal research and banks.

Spectrum said:
No, those are usually the ones that didn't realize it was expensive to have 3-4 kids, a wife that doesn't work, and a rusty pick up truck.

If there was a 'like' button I'd 'like' this post!!!! :goodpost:

Say you are a single male, no kids, no house, no student loans, no credit debt, no cable/internet/power/hydro bills, living in a Army base, working all the time as a full-time Infantry solider...

I've read that starting wage is $49,000 per year.

Other than savings, what does the average CF Infantry soldier spend his money on?

Back