• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment Question

Banbeta

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I have some questions about enrolling in the Canadian Forces Naval Reserve as a NCM.
Little more deatil, I am currently studying Human Resource Management and see the forces are hiring in a NCM postion,

Now my questions are

1) Is the force test required before getting in?
2.  would my diploma allow me to be a "direct entrance.
3. If I have a valid force test as a civilian would I be allow to use that one as it would be put on my SN ( I am currently on DND contract as a civ, working on a base)
4. If I wanted to go RegF how hard would that be

Hey, I can't answer your questions for certain but I have a bit of experience with the reserves and reg force and will help as much as I can.

1 - if joinging the reserves there is a fit test before you are selected, when I did mine 8 or 9 years ago it was in a small office, consosted of pushups, grip test, stair climb for heart rate and I think sit ups. Not sure the current requirements. If joining reg force there are is no fit test until you arrive to bmq. You have to meet a certain standard to stay on course.

2 - in the reserves you can be currently doing your diploma while in the position but for reg force you would have to have it completed already (although for ncm I don't think it's required in the first place)

3 - the force test is no longer used, there is a different fitness test now , chances are you would have to redo it, plus it's done annually.

4 - it's hard to say how hard it would be, you just have to apply, it depends on how many open positios there are for you trade, your aptitude test, interview and medical. You are then placed on a competition list based on how you performed.

Call your local recruitment center, they can answer all those questions in a heart beat

I like it very much. It is really helpful content. It makes us learn many things.

Hi there,

I'm planning on joining the reserves as a medical assistant and had a few questions.

1. Based on what I have found till now, reserve bmq is done at the unit base you apply to, on weekends. Can someone clarify this a bit? All the training can't be done inside so do they offer transportation to the training sites, or do you have to find a way to get there?
2.Trade specific training seems to be taught at CFB Borden which is a 3+ hour drive from where I live. Do you go there, get your training and return or do you have to travel there repeatedly?
3.How long will it take to be a fully trained Med A (considering you choose the weekend bmq option)?
4.Where I go to school, grade 10 science is not taught in sub sections. The course itself is science and within the course the various sections are taught. The sub sections are taught separately in different classes from grade 11 onwards. According to the career options website, the required education is grade 11 bio, grade 10 physics or chemistry and grade 10 math. Would it be a problem if my grade 10 courses don't specify each of the science subsections?

I'll answer the best I can

1 - Reserve bmq is done at your base on weekends (or consecutively in the summer). You would report to the base Friday nights and leave Sunday evenings. Anywhere you have to go from there,  transportation wise, they will make all the arrangements leaving from the base. During my bmq with the reserves we had to leave the province for certain parts. We would meet at the base and then be bussed to the airport. Same for things like being transported to the range, gas hut etc.

2 - Trade specific courses are a full time course  for 'x' amount of weeks. You would be required to attend the full thing on a class c contract. The military with take care of your transport there and back, or pay you per km to drive yourself.

3 - By fully trained I assume you mean trade course qualified. You would first need to complete your bmq.
Then if you are army you need to do bmq-L (formerly sq - soldier qualification). Three weeks I think for reserves. For the navy you would do NETP. And air Force your would go straight to the trades course when offered.

Reserve trade courses are usually offered in the summer. So depending on when you get in and complete bmq and bmq-L/netp, your looking at a year or two. Your own availability for courses has an impact on it too.

4 - That's the same teaching structure for sciences where I live. You would need to complete grade 11 bio of course besides your grade 10 science. But your grade 10 physics or chem should be taken care of by doing the grade 10 science. You may need to provide a course curriculum though.

Good luck

Back