• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Energy Drinks + Physical Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsLife

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got back from an information orientation at my local recruiting office and I thought of this question on the ride home and regret not asking in person.

Energy drinks such as Red Bull have high levels of caffeine and some medical ingredients. Would it be possible to drink an energy drink such as Red Bull to give us that extra energy kick while doing the situps and pushups or is it not allowed?

I think you are a little preoccupied with actually doing the pushups and situps to be drinking a redbull. Try it out someday!

a lot of caffeine and physical exercise isn't good. caffeine puts extra work to your heart, and you don't want to be working out while on it.
caffeine will also drop that energy level fast, leaving your in a pit with less energy.

although i'm sure most will use a little caffeine, a lot is never a good idea.

but damn, you got to love the mountain due energy! makes me feel like my hearts going to pound out my chest mmmm

If you are referring to doing this before your PT test, then while I don't know if there are any rules, it will likely cause you to fail.  The VO2 Max calculation takes into account your heart rate, and the higher it is, the more likely you are to fail.  That's while they tell you not to smoke or drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages (there, that rules out Red Bull) before the test.  The enrolment PT test is a predictive test with lots of variables, you can fail it if stress elevates your heart rate.

Above and beyond that, you shouldn't need any sort of "assistance" to pass the test, it really isn't hard at all to perform the tasks.

ThatsLife said:
I just got back from an information orientation at my local recruiting office and I thought of this question on the ride home and regret not asking in person.

Energy drinks such as Red Bull have high levels of caffeine and some medical ingredients. Would it be possible to drink an energy drink such as Red Bull to give us that extra energy kick while doing the situps and pushups or is it not allowed?

If you have ever had any of those caffiene or guarana based beverages you will know what i am about to say.
I like gin and tonic when I am out at the bar, but decided to try one of those red bull and vodka drinks.
After having only 2 red bulls(w/ vodka), my chest began to hurt because my heart was on over load.
I actually almost fell over becuase it was going crazy and it was hurting so much. If this is the effect of the stuff, then I would not reccomend drinking any of that before your PT test.

drinking those products (red bull) with alcohol can actually do major damage to your heart and it is actually on the side of a can of redbull "do not drink or mix with alcohol"  i beleive the actual word is consume but im sure you get the point, and yes it adds something like 15-20 BPM to your heart rate ( tested it once but could remember the exact amount) and those extra beats could cause you to fail, either way be mindfull what you put into your body the day of your test.

if you need a RedBull to pass the push up test you have bigger problems

Jaxson said:
drinking those products (red bull) with alcohol can actually do major damage to your heart and it is actually on the side of a can of redbull "do not drink or mix with alcohol"   i beleive the actual word is consume but im sure you get the point, and yes it adds something like 15-20 BPM to your heart rate

Yup. I figured I would try it, and now I refuse to even have a sip of it.
I will stick with my gin and tonic when out and about.

Seriously you don't need energy drinks for the test, trust me its realyyyyyyyy easy i am sure you can do it. Only someone in really bad shape could fail it....leave the energy drinks for the gym and an advice eat well in the morning thats better and its natural. For the pt test thats too its easy and never never drink energy drinks and run after unless you want your heart to suffer......i am sure you can pass just make sure you eat well 2 or 3 hours before and don't drink coffee or things with caffeine.....

good luck to you.

Wolfe

ThatsLife said:

Redeye said:
If you are referring to doing this before your PT test, then while I don't know if there are any rules, it will likely cause you to fail.  The VO2 Max calculation takes into account your heart rate, and the higher it is, the more likely you are to fail.  That's while they tell you not to smoke or drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages (there, that rules out Red Bull) before the test.  The enrolment PT test is a predictive test with lots of variables, you can fail it if stress elevates your heart rate.

Above and beyond that, you shouldn't need any sort of "assistance" to pass the test, it really isn't hard at all to perform the tasks.
This is true: you will probably fail because your heart rate is too high: moreover, isn't "performance-enhancing substances" automatic grounds for failure?

short final said:
if you need a RedBull to pass the push up test you have bigger problems
The real point!

Springroll said:
If you have ever had any of those caffiene or guarana based beverages you will know what i am about to say.
I like gin and tonic when I am out at the bar, but decided to try one of those red bull and vodka drinks.
After having only 2 red bulls(w/ vodka), my chest began to hurt because my heart was on over load.
I actually almost fell over becuase it was going crazy and it was hurting so much. If this is the effect of the stuff, then I would not reccomend drinking any of that before your PT test.
Why Red Bull rules: there's bar right in the middle of a ski run in St. Anton, Austria ... they serve (among other things) shooters called "Fluegels," which are Vodka & Red Bull (I think).  You drink about 10 or 12 of these, goad the Pommies into slam dancing (in ski boots), then try to ski down to the bottom of the iced-over mogul run in total darkness.  Doesn't hurt a bit!  :blotto:

Here are the pre-test instructions which you should have in your possession if you are scheduled for the test:

To ensure accurate test, please adhere to the following instructions:

Physical Excercise:
No strenuous physical activity minimum six hours (6 hrs) before the test;

Food and Beverages:

Do not eat for at least two hours (2 hrs) beofre your test
Refrain from drinking alcohol for at least six hours (6 hrs) before your test
Refrain from drinking caffeine beverages for at least two hours (2 hrs) before your test (tea, pop, coffee, etc)
Refrain from smoking for at least two hours (2 hrs) before your test.

NOW HERE'S THE RUB and it's clearly stated:

Note: The results of your test may be negatively affected if the conditions concerning dress, food, smoking, beverages and excercise are not followed. If you clearly ignored these instructions, the evaluator may cancel your test.

So if you're going to drink red bull, best you do it at least 2 hours prior to the test. But just remember, you won't be having red bull once you are in bmq so if you need it to pass the entrance PT, you are only fooling yourself. Once you're in, there's no red bull to get you through the 13 km ruck march or morning PT.

ThatsLife said:
Energy drinks such as Red Bull have high levels of caffeine and some medical ingredients.

Red Bull does not have a high level of caffeine.  In fact, it's only 80 mg, which is a little less than what you'd find in a standard cup of coffee.

The other ingredients are taurine, glucuronolactone, sugar and a bunch of B vitamins.  Not sure if it still contains inositol.  Nothing really "harmful" about it *if* you take as directed, but most drink it with alcohol, which isn't the best idea due to synergistic effects.

If you want an energy drink, go to Tim's and get a large double-double.

me thinks that before a physical test that people wont be getting drunk with redbull/alcoholic beverages..just a hunch.

Dirt Digger said:
Red Bull does not have a high level of caffeine.   In fact, it's only 80 mg, which is a little less than what you'd find in a standard cup of coffee.

The other ingredients are taurine, glucuronolactone, sugar and a bunch of B vitamins.   Not sure if it still contains inositol.   Nothing really "harmful" about it *if* you take as directed, but most drink it with alcohol, which isn't the best idea due to synergistic effects.

If you want an energy drink, go to Tim's and get a large double-double.

When you consider that a Coca-cola Classic only has 27 mg, 80 could be considered a 'high level'. Check out http://www.ameribev.org/health/caffeinecontent.asp for comparisons.

If the average 7 oz cup of brewed coffee contains between 40 - 130 mg (quite a spread), then depending on who's brewing the coffee, red bull or other energy drinks could pack quite a punch.

Either way, your test could be cancelled if you purposely consumed any caffeine less than 2 hrs before your test.

Also if a person uses these as performance enhancers I would suspect that the physcological effects...ie: I feel stronger because I drank a bunch of RedBull therefore I am stronger....could be quite the reverse when you get to bmq....ie: Oh my bloody GAWWWWD you want me to carry that HOW FAR? But....MCpl..... I can't because I don't have any RED BULLLLLLLL"  :D

I have a really low heart rate, but during the test it was way up, avoid anything that will bring up your resting HR.  No one should need an energy drink to do the test, you should be fired up and prepared before you step in the door.

my 2 cents.

redbull = insanity. I slammed 6 cans of the mighty little beverage and almost died.

I would strongly recommend against it prior to any fitness test, it will make you fail your VO2 bigtime.

You know, there is a warning on the cans saying to drink no more than two per day.

My level of PT has increased due to reducing all caffinated beverages from my diet. It makes me needlessly waste alot of energy from the rush, instead of isolating the potential energy I have, from good food sources like carbohydrates and protein, to focus on running and lifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back