• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Elite military unit's blueprints for new HQ found in trash can

Probe looks into military blueprints found in trash , CTV.ca News Staff

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day says he's launched a probe to find out how blueprints for a new military counterterrorism unit ended up in a downtown
Ottawa garbage can -- in an area with no defence department buildings in close proximity.

The Ottawa Citizen reported on Thursday that a local couple found seven rolls of 26 blueprints -- stamped with Department of Defence markings and dated March 5,
2007 -- on a trash pile on Bank Street on Oct. 13. The couple took one of the rolls home to try to find out what it was.

The Department of Defence has not said if the documents are classified. A military analyst says he's been told the matter is not being considered a security breach
because the plans were part of a rejected draft for a new building, which will be the home of the Canadian Joint Incident Response Unit at CFB Trenton. "After
(the engineering firm) didn't get it, I assume they just threw the plans in the garbage,'' said Alain Pellerin of the Conference of Defence Associations.

The Canadian Joint Incident Response Unit is the military's first response team in case of a terrorism attack involving nuclear, chemical or biological agents.

Day warned the public against jumping to conclusions about the contents of the documents until a report comes out. "We'll wait for the actual report in terms of
what exactly these documents are," he said. "If there is some kind of security breach . . . that's of huge concern. We're going to wait for all the details."

But opposition members pounced on what they said was a major lapse. "This government is so secretive, it's Mister No Comment," Liberal Defence Critic Coderre said.
"And then they have this shocking lapse." Coderre called on someone to lose their job over the matter. His NDP counterpart Dawn Black called the situation "absolutely unbelievable." "It's quite incredible," Black said. "It's kind of a black farce."

Link

Even them being rejected, there must be some deductions one can make about the real ones...

George Wallace said:
I could not believe my ears back in the 1980's when DND announced that many Canadian Forces Bases would go to an "OPEN BASE POLICY".  Unfriggingbelievable!

That would be the 'reduce the costs required to run a base by making it an open base' policy. Oh, and by the way, make it more vulnerable to attack. Madness.

We have seen the enemy and he is us.

Wonderbread said:
What are the odds, eh? An employee of the Rideau Institute just happens to be rooting through a Bank St garbage can that just happens to contain classified documents that would embarrass the military... I hate the come off as the kind of guy who wears a tinfoil hat, but I feel like there's something really shifty about this.

Or maybe its just aluminum pot syndrome...

Why would anyone try to divert this to the person that found the documents, instead of wondering why the company that tossed them out, did that? Lets hope this company doesnt get any more business from DND.

From what I have read it would appear that when they were in the design / construction phase, DND or Supply and services sent out the plans to a number of engineering firms under a request for proposal.  The engineering firm that has it's offices where the plans were found were invited to tender.  Not sure if their tender was rejected or if they even bothered to submit.  1 or 2 years later, they tossed the old blueprints.  Why?  Probably cause no one told em to dispose securely.

I believe it.... a lot of people don,t have a clue on security matters.

Precontract Building plans, elite unit or not, are only plans to just another building...

Just because this could be CJIRU or even possibly "gasp" JTF2's new building in Trenton makes the news sensational enough to be worthy of MSM attention. So what if you know what the inside of the building MAY look like when it is done, it is the people inside of it and what they do that makes the unit special.

I've been watching this gongshow on the news the last little bit.......

I'm sorry but i have to report that i need a tinfoil hat. The fact that this was "found" by this individual ( tied to you-know-who) is just too much to pass off as coincidence.

Back