• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Electronic hearing protection

Tracker 23A

Inactive
Reaction score
I wanted to know from experienced people (not any "In my opinion"), which model they think is better and why.

I am looking at purchasing either the Peltor 'ComTac',

or the Sordin 'Supreme Pro'.

What, in your opinion would be the better purchase?

I've used the Peltor on the range, its pretty sweet.  Great noise suppression, but able to hear the quietest of conversations.  My only beef is that the wind covers on the mics fell off quite easily, and once the wind starts blowing without them, there's alot of buffet noise.  The ability to hook up to a comms package is a big plus as well.  I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the other product you posted.

I've owned and used the Peltor 'ComTac' for close to 3 years now and have not had any problems with them. The battery life is tremendous, I use them approx 6 hours a week and only need to change the battery once every 6-8 months.

The fit perfectly under the helmet and provide enough protection from small arms fire wile allowing you to easily carry on a conversation.

I bought mine from Mic Mac Fire and Safety/ and they ended up giving me a good Govt discount.

If you plan on using any muff style hearing protection around anything other than small arms or on indoor ranges, I'd use them in conjunction with ear plugs. It's not a problem with this particular product, but most ear muff style of hearing protection do not provide enough NRR for the real loud stuff!!

I bought the ComTac's on a recomondation for a US guy - and a buddy up here - No problems at all for what I am using them for.

There was a thread on Lightfighter about the two and some of the USSOC guys chimed in with their thoughts.

I have been wearing ComTacs everytime I go out and they work as advertised.   I don't know anyone with Sordins but everyone that has ComTacs seems pleased with them. I've worn them under a Canadian helmet and a TC2002.

What do these do, filter certain frequencies and amplitudes with opposing waveform noise-cancellation?

Brihard said:
What do these do, filter certain frequencies and amplitudes with opposing waveform noise-cancellation?

As I understand it, yes. 

They filter certain frequencies - but exactly how they do it I am not sure.  This allows for persons in a loud industrial workspace to filter out damaging frequencies, but still carry on an almost normally pitched conversatioin.  Pretty neat, huh?

OK, good stuff- I'm vaguely familiar with the technology- noise cancelling headphones, etc - but I wasn't sure how much they'd made inroads into the military. How big are these units?

They have been around since the 1970's.  AFV helmets were fitted out with them in the 1970 's and 80's.  Nothing new.

Big difference George in these and the th eold ones -- these are also radio compatible (plugs in and has a microphone boom attachment as well)

The old ones the CF issued to Gunners in early 1990 where pulled since they did not work fast enough to cancel the high Db noises.

They are the size of a typical ear defender but cut to allow for them to be worn under a helmet.

Actually, from WHAT I UNDERSTAND, these are NOT noise cancellation headsets (like the BOSE ones that pilots use etc....)

All they do is use the microphones to amplify conversations, but as soon as a certain level of noise is attained, the mics shut off, and you are now wearing normal ear defenders.  When someone is talking, and a loud noise occurs in the background (like a gunshot), you can hear the mics cut off and the voices are no longer amplified.

Now this is just from my experience on the range.  I'm sure there is a website that explains exactly what these things do.

short final said:
Actually, from WHAT I UNDERSTAND, these are NOT noise cancellation headsets (like the BOSE ones that pilots use etc....)

All they do is use the microphones to amplify conversations, but as soon as a certain level of noise is attained, the mics shut off, and you are now wearing normal ear defenders.  When someone is talking, and a loud noise occurs in the background (like a gunshot), you can hear the mics cut off and the voices are no longer amplified.

Now this is just from my experience on the range.  I'm sure there is a website that explains exactly what these things do.

Now I have a question. :D  If the above statement is true, and there is a an external microphone for intersquad communication hooked up, 
KevinB said:
Big difference George in these and the th eold ones -- these are also radio compatible (plugs in and has a microphone boom attachment as well)
the loud noise get cancelled out, but does the communication via radio still go through?

I have never experienced clipping with the Comtacs. Cheaper models usually have this problem. I run comms with mine and they don't get cut off from loud noises.

the comms will always come thru, they run thru a separate circuit from the external mics.  I'm not an expert on these products, I'm only speaking from experience using them on a pistol range.

I have found some differences between Peltor's SoundTrap and ComTac, WRT electronics.

The owner's of www.theshootingedge.com, who are both ex-military, advised me that the ST gives you about 19 dB protection, where the CT gives you 24db protection.

The ST is about 6 milliseconds attack/release, or the time it takes for the sensor to detect and determine incoming noise, the CT is about 3.

The ST is great for recreational or regular shooters, whereas the CT is designed for police and military handling WRT weapons systems and intensity they are subject to.

Thanks to those that answered my questions.  I figured it would.

Why are the comtacs over double the price in Canada that they are in the U.S.?

crappy dollar  ;D

Likely the fact TSE is the importer and only bring in very few per shipment and had a high unit cost.

Back