• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Edmonton Garisson Airfield/Runway

CDN Aviator said:
Why not have kept all the horse barns at bases just in case horses make a comeback too......

::)

Why not?  Was the 50 year period without a war a waste of 1 trillion current value dollars or to maintain potential to fight a war? 

I suspect that city bases lead to much higher retention and satisfaction.  What do 2PPCLI spouses do at CFB Shilo - milk the cows?

Dennis Ruhl said:
Why not?  Was the 50 year period without a war a waste of 1 trillion current value dollars or to maintain potential to fight a war? 

Yeah i know...bring back the Alberta dragoons right ? is that where you are going ?

There is no need to maintain a huge useless infrastructure on the altar of general mobilization.......

What do 2PPCLI spouses do at CFB Shilo - milk the cows?

It sucks but they are not the only ones........

The Base Commander was interviewed on another forum I frequent.  He was ask about reopening the runways.  His answer:

The short answer to your question is yes – sort of. The Canadian Forces is looking at the possibility of using the runway here at CFB Edmonton for fixed-wing aircraft strictly on a limited basis to support training under austere conditions. This will not return the runway to full-time serviceability for fixed wing aircraft but will rather give us a capability to exercise in a manner similar to how we operate internationally.

408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron, of course, continues to use a portion of the airfield for their rotary-wing aircraft operations with the Griffons.

Any use of the runway for fixed-wing aircraft would be as a contingency or for training pilots and support personnel on the use of a runway under austere or less than perfect conditions. For that reason we have maintained the old air corridors and continue to work with the Province of Alberta to integrate the design of the Anthony Henday so that we are able to maintain those corridors.

We will continue to utilize the regions airports to support our other flying operations.

Full interview here:
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13777

CDN Aviator said:
wow...my point went right over your head......

Not really.  I got your point and I don't honestly think horses will replace armour though it may have been close at times.  Humour is just so much less funny when you have to explain it.

Dennis Ruhl said:
I suspect that city bases lead to much higher retention and satisfaction.  What do 2PPCLI spouses do at CFB Shilo - milk the cows?

Probably exactly the same thing that the wives at CFB Petawawa do, what with Ottawa being 2.5 hours away and all ...  ::)

Okay folks, I am going to ask that you just ignore Dennis Ruhl and report his posts when they come off like they have here. It's becoming painfully obvious to me that Dennis does not even try here, he is here just to troll. He's been warned before about this and I won't be long taking action if he continues. The best thing to do with a troll is ignore it so I am asking your help with that.

Dennis, you are on the ramp.

Carbon-14 said:
The Base Commander was interviewed on another forum I frequent.  He was ask about reopening the runways.  His answer:

Full interview here:
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13777

Carbon-14-Thanks for the info.

I truly believe that opening the airfield would have a good benefit for army usage. Perhaps even when leaving on tour the family would be able to see the member get on the plane not to mention the logistical side. Anyway we will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the info everyone.

TAC MP said:
I truly believe that opening the airfield would have a good benefit for army usage. Perhaps even when leaving on tour the family would be able to see the member get on the plane not to mention the logistical side.

There's a diffence between what seems to be proposed and a fully operational runway capable of operating major aircraft with IFR facilities and all the airfield equipment that it entails. theres alot more to it than just a few thousand feet of pavement.

Runway remidiation at other bases has been expensive and that was at installations that already have all it takes to operate a modern airfield.

Edmonton Intl. is that far.........

With city centre airport closing in the next few years, it would be great to have this open. Military flights with politicians, or high ranking officials would certainly benefit from this. Also, being that there is a para company here, it would certainly beat driving an hour just to get there. We could simply walk out to the runway, do a couple racetracks, and jump!

Ah, it is but a dream though.

Back