• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Duties of an Attending Officer

Cardstonkid

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone here know the dutues of an attending officer at a Charge Parade and if so could you outline them? (I searched and could find no reference to this material- so hopefully this isn't one of those many oft repeated questions.)

I suggest you look up QR & O's for ASSISTING OFFICER.  I've recently attended a Summary Trial and I think the assisting officer acts as a "defence lawyer". 
Good Luck.

Cardstonkid said:
Does anyone here know the dutues of an attending officer at a Charge Parade and if so could you outline them? (I searched and could find no reference to this material- so hopefully this isn't one of those many oft repeated questions.)

Given that you mean "Assisting Officer" ...

Here's the link to the "GUIDE FOR ACCUSED AND
ASSISTING OFFICERS" from the JAG site.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/training/publications/GuideAccusedAssistingOfficers(Bilingual).pdf

Privateer said:
If you mean "Assisting Officer", reference the JAG's publications, "Guide for Accused and Assisting Officers":  http://www.dnd.ca/jag/training/publications/GuideAccusedAssistingOfficers(Bilingual).pdf

Ohhh, you're quick!!  ;D

An Attending Officer has nothing to do with the accused at any form of trial.  The Attending Officer is appointed by a Commander (at whatever level) to attend the proceedings and then report back to the Commander (at whatever level).  That is all.  The Attending Officer is not there in any way, shape, or form to assist or give advice, only to report to higher as to what happened at the proceedings.

Assisting Officers are a different matter.

George Wallace said:
An Attending Officer has nothing to do with the accused at any form of trial.  The Attending Officer is appointed by a Commander (at whatever level) to attend the proceedings and then report back to the Commander (at whatever level).  That is all.  The Attending Officer is not there in any way, shape, or form to assist or give advice, only to report to higher as to what happened at the proceedings.

Assisting Officers are a different matter.

Not usually employed at charge parades - as the CoC is already present at those. Ergo my assumption that he meant "Assisting Officer" as he specificly stated "Charge Parade".

I have acted as "attending" at civil court proceedings of mil members though ... just took notes on outcome etc, for the back briefing to the CO. In these cases, the CO has always provided me with his expectations of what he expected to be reported back in the form of TOR (Terms of Reference).

I did mean "assisting officer" and I appreciate the clarification and the information.

BYT Driver said:
I suggest you look up QR & O's for ASSISTING OFFICER.  I've recently attended a Summary Trial and I think the assisting officer acts as a "defence lawyer"
Good Luck.

To clarify the above comment, it is not a duty of the Assisting Officer to act as a "defence lawyer".  The Assisting Officer may aid the accused by asking questions of witnesses on his/her behalf, but it is to help bring forth the facts of the circumstances of the offence, not to present a case for defence of the accused.

Back