• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DUI/impaired driving in CF (merged)

Brihard said:
Hell yes. There’s basically no better way to guarantee that a police officer will invoke the new mandatory alcohol screening authority for compulsory roadside tests. Better have your paperwork all in order too.
It's also helpful to question the officer's authority to interfere with your natural law right to "travel".  Asserting that their jurisdiction is limited only to those citizens who have given servitude to an unlawful monarch, and you are not such a "person" goes a long way as well.

Haggis said:
It's also helpful to question the officer's authority to interfere with your natural law right to "travel".  Asserting that their jurisdiction is limited only to those citizens who have given servitude to an unlawful monarch, and you are not such a "person" goes a long way as well.

Oh, I didn't know this one.  I know what I'm saying next time I get pulled over or go thru a checkpoint!!  ;D

PuckChaser said:
If he was hammered then I don't doubt he found weird things funny. So are you 1 for 1 with being able to suspend that pesky "probable cause" part, or is it now just a giant fishing expedition?

"Probable Cause" is an American term. It's not a thing here what you're referring to is the removal of the "reasonable suspicion" requirement.

I use it sparingly, and certainly not just 'fishing'. Usually at night, usually when I've seen either poor driving or I'm dealing with a novice driver with a probationary license and a zero alcohol condition attached. Generally speaking if I do a mandatory alcohol screen I'll do that in lieu of a ticket that would probably run $120 bucks. I'm showing that the driving behaviour matters, I'm verifying that they're licensed, registered, insured, and sober, I'm adding a bit more deterrence in the form of people knowing they could randomly get screened, and often as not I'm cutting them a break on a ticket. I've had several where people have denied drinking entirely, but the test shows that while they're below the limit they have definitely been drinking. I've been able to tell a few people that they were quite close, and one more drink would have seen them in a bad spot.

The one I mentioned- he wasn't 'hammered' or I would not have needed to use the random testing provision as I would have had ample evidence to constitute reasonable suspicion. He was speeding excessively past police that were out at an accident scene at 2:30 am, his passenger was obliterated, and there was open alcohol in the vehicle. But I had no smell off him, and he denied any consumption. I gave him the random testing demand, and he kept arguing it to the point where I deemed refusal after several minutes and arrested him for same. In the time he was then in the back of my car his behaviour continued to get more erratic and I was able to get a very strong smell of alcohol from his breath once in the enclosed space of my car. Despite this he continued to deny drinking, or for that matter the speeding that I had locked on my radar... I ended up adding the straight impaired by alcohol charge to the refusal based on these subsequent observations, but I would not have been able to argue impairment at first glance or based on a minute at the car window.

Despite all that I described, what initially presented to me would not have reached the threshold of 'reasonable suspicion', and I can't use things that happen afterwards to go back and retroactively justify a reasonable suspicion demand. The new provision worked exactly as intended- to catch someone who otherwise would have gone undetected. This is happening all across the country.

Back