• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DUI - Effects on Joining?

• Thread starter IanLookingForInfo
  • Start date
Thanks for your quick reply, I do not have a criminal record , I reviewed that with MPI....I have talked to my recruiter and shared all the paperwork from MPI and when my suspension will be lifted and I will have a full license again.  It could be that I just have to wait.

Just wondered if I have to start from square one and if this bumped me off the Merit List or if there are other career options open to me while my license is supsended.  I may email my recruiter with some more specific questions. 

Armywannabe70 said:
Thanks for your quick reply, I do not have a criminal record , I reviewed that with MPI....I have talked to my recruiter and shared all the paperwork from MPI and when my suspension will be lifted and I will have a full license again.  It could be that I just have to wait.

Just wondered if I have to start from square one and if this bumped me off the Merit List or if there are other career options open to me while my license is supsended.  I may email my recruiter with some more specific questions.
I'm kind of curious if it will have any effect since a drivers license is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armywannabe70 said:

You have probably answered your own question, you need to talk to a recruiter.

Despite not requiring a driver's license for the job, I'm willing to bet the hold up here is an outstanding commitment to the legal system (suspended license).

Just so I'm tracking properly, you had your license suspended 1 week before BMQ and were therefore removed from training? Were you not already sworn in and on LWOP awaiting your course? There's some timeline things that don't add up here.

I was not sworn in, that was to happen a few days before I left for Boot Camp I was not on LWOP, there was only going to be one or two days that I would have been on LWOP. 

I know I have to serve the suspension,  just looking to see if I need to start from square one when the suspension is up and reapply all over for that Career when I have a full license reinstated..or if I would still be on the Merit List..not entirely sure what the Merit list is..just trying to figure it out from reading amongst the forums. 

thanks for answering my questions

Armywannabe70 said:
..not entirely sure what the Merit list is..

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/12776.100
12 pages

Curious. A driver’s license suspension issued by a provincial ministry as a result of infractions and demerit points/license class is NOT a court action. A court ordered suspension as a sentence is different. I would confirm if the suspension was issued by the ministry for remedial purposes. I suspect it was based on what you’re saying- I charged a guy for driving suspended just a week ago who lost his license by decision of the ministry due to accrued demerit points. It wasn’t a court ordered suspension, it was entirely ministry of transportation.

Thanks Brihard for that insight...so do you think that there is a distinction then between which Ministry has made the decision on my license suspension?  I will have to look over my paperwork again to see. 

Thanks these forums are very helpful trying to sort things out 

I had a closer look at the paperwork I was sent from MPI, Registrar of Motor Vehicles is the listed.  So this isn't a Court Action. 

I'm wondering if the Recruiting Centre may have made a mistake.  A suspension is not a sentence and there is no "obligation" to the court. 

Or, even if having a driver's license is not a requirement to enrol as COMM RSCH, it may be one of their tasks and having a license suspension would preclude putting him on drivers training.  Though it is not the trade specs (don't have access), this is included in the task statement for COMM RSCH medical standards.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/mosid120-communicator-research.page
13. Drive military vehicles in low/no light conditions.

Back