• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DUI - Effects on Joining?

• Thread starter IanLookingForInfo
  • Start date
I

IanLookingForInfo

I am new to the whole thing, have not even joined basic trainning yet, but need to know about things first. I was recently charged with a DUI(driving under the influence) . This was the worst thing that could happen cause now I have to wait another 6 months to join, so I was told. That is not my major problem. I have been looking into the JTF for some time now and really want to get into it. Now I know that you can't join if you have files for bankrupcy so what I want to know is a DUI charge going to eliminate my chances of getting in or not. Thank you in advance for any info.  :)

As far as your DUI goes, If after keeping your nose clean for a few years you will be able to apply for a pardon. I am not sure how long you will have to wait but I would presume your legal counsel would know. Unless things have changed you can not just join JTF2 . You will have to serve in a unit and apply.

I am going to be dropping off my application for the infantry and I was wondering if the fact that I have a criminal record will keep me from being accepted. I was charged with a DUI and driving while suspended. It was about two years ago and I‘ve been to jail and served my time. It is a thing of the past and I don‘t want it to get in the way of my career choices. so will it ?

In a word, yes. Any kind of criminal history, especially one for which you went to prison would be a serious detrement to you joining the forces.

hey guys im new to this site..  was poking around but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for...  my question is,  can you join if you declare bankrupcy? i mean i have done well for a while but the housing market kinda sunk and i declared bankrupcy on my business..  mind you a small business,  and the only thing i xdeclared bank rupcy on was my truck..  so how bad is this????

i was charged and convicted of impaired driving in 1983 while a private in the infantry. I informed my CoC, got a royal a$$ chewing, did every extra duty in the unit for about 6 months.

About 2 yrs after, i held a top secret security clearance. I left the forces, came back from civvy street, not the supp list, with the conviction still on my record. I currently hold a secret security clearance. The only issue i ever have with it is getting extra prints done when i get my security clearance updated. I should get a pardon, i just haven't.

Recruiting group requires that you have not outstanding legal obligations, ie, unresolved legal issues. They will decide, based on the the convictions, if you are good to go or not.

As far as bankruptcy goes, I think you have to be discharged as it is an outstanding legal obligation. I'm not certain though.

Office Linebacker said:
As far as bankruptcy goes, I think you have to be discharged as it is an outstanding legal obligation. I'm not certain though.

I'm not certain about DUI, but here is a poster:

A buddy of mine had a DUI before joining the reserves and was accepted, although I'm sure every situation is looked at differently

For all:

Every case is considered on it's merits.  The fact that you have been convicted of a misdemeanour or crime does not automatically bar you from joining the CF.  The type of crime(s), the punishment and other obligations ordered by the court as well as conduct during parole, letters of recommendation, time since occurrence(s) etc weigh into the considerations as to whether or not you are suitable for enrolment.

Be realistic with yourself however - serious/violent/recent crimes will argue against your acceptance by an organisation that stresses disicipline/orderly application of force under direction/trustworthiness in the near future or even at all in some cases.

That being said, the only sure way to know if you are going to be considered for enrolment is to go and make application, be honest about your history (the reliability check will show up any issues in any event, so be up front about it) bring along reference letters etc to show that you have learned from your mistake and then see what happens.

MKO

Good day,

I'm a Pre service fire grad with lots of training under my belt currently working in the safety and training industry.

I recently was charged with an over 80mg charge, but will be going to trial in hopes of beating this charge.

I have an interest in joining the CF for Firefighting, military police or medical officer if possible.

Would a pending DUI prevent me from joining?

Thanks in advance

You have to be free of legal obligations as far as I have been informed. DUI= legal obligation.

Also- I would be surprised if you are competitive for the military police after your problem. It doesnt preclude you but it makes you less desirable.

Unless youre convicted....

jcl said:
And for the people who want to play god and bash me, save your typing skills and write a book.

That's a fantastic way to end a post....why not wait and see what others have to say before going straight on the defensive?

TK-421 said:
That's a fantastic way to end a post....why not wait and see what others have to say before going straight on the defensive?

Thats because deep down inside he already knows the answer.

TK-421 said:

I ended without that, but being on forums in the past, I figured id add that.

But you are right, i haven't been on these forums and I may be suprised with the replies I  receive.

I appreciate your input.

Container said:
You have to be free of legal obligations as far as I have been informed. DUI= legal obligation.

Also- I would be surprised if you are competitive for the military police after your problem. It doesnt preclude you but it makes you less desirable.

Unless youre convicted....

Makes sense, I'll visit a recruiter and see what they have to say.

Thanks

The Cdn military is not the French Foreign Legion and the days when judges gave the option between jail or the Army ended long ago.  You must be free of all legal obligations prior to joining the military.  You can still apply but your application really won't go anywhere until the legal process is completed.  That obligation applies to those charged criminally as well as anyone going through divorce, been ordered to testify, fighting an insurance settlement, etc.  If you do not disclose your legal status and you do get enrolled but get caught later you will be charged for an improper enrolment (more legal troubles) and released as you have committed an act of fraud against the Crown.

jcl said:
I ended without that, but being on forums and always reading someone playing high and mighty I just put it.

But you are right, i haven't been on these forums and I may be suprised with the replies i will receive.

But I appreciate your input.

No problem!

Enjoy the forums, there's alot of great information and great people on hear to learn from.

greentoblue said:
The Cdn military is not the French Foreign Legion and the days when judges gave the option between jail or the Army ended long ago.  You must be free of all legal obligations prior to joining the military.  You can still apply but your application really won't go anywhere until the legal process is completed.  That obligation applies to those charged criminally as well as anyone going through divorce, been ordered to testify, fighting an insurance settlement, etc.  If you do not disclose your legal status and you do get enrolled but get caught later you will be charged for an improper enrolment (more legal troubles) and released as you have committed an act of fraud against the Crown.

Well I definately won't be doing that, nor do I have nothing to hide.

Thank you.

TK-421 said:
No problem!

Enjoy the forums, there's alot of great information and great people on hear to learn from.

Thanks, I  didn't mean to come off as defensive.

jcl said:
Well I definately won't be doing that, nor do I have nothing to hide.

Thank you.

Lets say my legal issues are complete, and say I was convicted of a dui charge.  Would I be elgible to join the military and persue a university career?

Back