• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drug use/drug testing in the CF (merged)

I recently had the joy of filling a plastic bottle, along with all my shipmates.  We gave them our rank and age, no names.  Now they'll do a study on the samples, to determine if there's a problem in a select group, then go back for more testing.  Sounds to me like a waste of money.

Every time I've been posted, I've had to sign a document stating that I don't use drugs and will report anyone I see doing it.  Why can't they add a clause, something along the lines of "You may be tested at any time to ensure that these regulations are being followed."  Then we don't have to go through costly multi-stage testing procedures, where everyone gets tested multiple times before we can identify and attend to violators.

Okay, the resident owns everything behind the door to his room.  The RSM/BCWO/SCWO owns the building, and the hallways therein.  Walk Potsy the Wonder Pooch down the hallway.  Any door he stops and goes into withdrawal in front of, go get the appropriate paperwork and knock politely, then enter.  Nobody needs to know the dog was in the building 'til after the fact.

Todays army is not as bad as it was even 5 years ago when it comes to drugs.We have all heard off "grass" company and certain other units inparticular as well.Go look in a certain bumker in wainwright and you can see all the bongs sitting inside it. (Use to be anyway)

However I believe now with the random drug testing and sensitive testing as well,the "casual" pot smoker has for the most part stopped.It isnt worth his career.But lets face it the one's who enjoy this habit will find ways around it.

-smoke it on leave
-wait till right after testing
-wait till HLTA
-wait till a res posting

The list goes on.It isnt rocket science.Every time there is a drug test we all hear the rumour a couple week prior.I have been in for around 8 years and I was finally tested a couple weeks back.8 years and one test.
One thing I will say though is the use of harder drugs is more popular now than it ever was."Nose candy" seems to be the drug of choice.

All I care about is I know I test clean.

P.S urine test really only cover three days for LSD,pot,coke.The usual stuff.
So when the army tests you on a friday morning....seems like to me they are not trying to catch the weeken users they just want the hardcore guys using on a school night.If the army would wake up and do a little reasearch they may make a better net to catch these guys with.SO after the test the "party" kids could put blow up their noses and know by monday morning they would be clean again.

Or do they actually want real numbers??? ;)I guess not.As a MO should be able to advise people of this,and I am but a mere good looking, uneducated combat arms Mcpl.

p.s sorry for spelling errors.Im on a pentium 133...dial up. :crybaby:

lacqui said:
I Now they'll do a study on the samples, to determine if there's a problem in a select group, then go back for more testing.  Sounds to me like a waste of money.

Its actually not that expensive,I being inquisitive looked into it once I was tested (my name was included in mine).It goes to a company in Ontario who are basically the RCMP's CSI team but a civilian company.Our Urine is put into a cheap stick type test first.If you pass that your sample is good.If it is "diluted"then they run the expensive test to see what etc.If it is inconclusive it goes to a medical officer for further study.Im currently not on my computer to put up the links...and this thing is so slow I dont think it could run pong.

p.s sorry for spelling errors.Im on a pentium 133...dial up. :crybaby:

Roy Harding said:
People who reside in barracks are in their home.  Why shouldn't they have the same rights and protections as I do?

One of the legal isues being debated... DND property or private residence?  The legal setting about 10-20 years ago drifted towards a residence, regardless of ownership, being private property of the renter or whoever paid for lodging (covering PMQs and SQs).  However, some recent legal actions concerning 'grow ops' are pointing towards the owner of the property being reponsible for inspecting on a regular basis and reporting illegal activities.  Will this eventually affect CF members in their barracks?

Kat Stevens said:
Okay, the resident owns everything behind the door to his room.  The RSM/BCWO/SCWO owns the building, and the hallways therein.  Walk Potsy the Wonder Pooch down the hallway.  Any door he stops and goes into withdrawal in front of, go get the appropriate paperwork and knock politely, then enter.  Nobody needs to know the dog was in the building 'til after the fact.

And thats what they do in Petawawa.

X-mo-1979 said:
And thats what they do in Petawawa.

from whats the boys tell me here in our barracks we have a Parade while this is going on they bring in the OPP drug unit with JAG lawers signing each search Warrant as they go door to door.

Sgt  Schultz said:
That dog is used... also works hand and hand with local Mounties K9. Where ever they are needed, they go.

Here every quarter, they round each SQN up, and call out names at random. Both drug tested and breathalized in a matter of minutes.

Australia has ZERO tolerance, and its a battle, but is worth fighting.

Personally I don't mind the random drug checks. The only ones that have to worry about anything is the ones that use, and that includes 'pisstanks' coming to work three sheets to the wind. They cop it also.

Cheers,

Wes

Xfire said:
from whats the boys tell me here in our barracks we have a Parade while this is going on they bring in the OPP drug unit with JAG lawers signing each search Warrant as they go door to door.

And there's the second part - it took someone with a set of cohones to order it, do it and stand by their decision.  Not all commanders are willing to do that.

Greymatters said:
And there's the second part - it took someone with a set of cohones to order it, do it and stand by their decision.  Not all commanders are willing to do that.
Absolutely.

However I can't wait to see who gets random tested.Random has meant in the past mcpl and below.Apparently once you get your 6A you don't do dope.And lets face it a Cpl isnt going to report a SSM for it.

In Gagetown we were tested for roto 03/07, the ones that where pos. got 1 year C.M.P, Zero Tolerance my A@S. Went on crse.
stayed in the same job's, some got better job's.

Like I said ZERO TOLERANCE MY A@S !

I've known some soldiers who smoked some grass on weekends. I really don't think it ever affected their work. On the other hand I have dragged my ass in to work still pissed from the mess dinner the night before. I'm just glad I don't have to sit in judgement.

They might get away with it now, but continued drug use means they will get caught out eventually.  This does not bode well when you stand before the man and trry to explain why you felt free to continue to disobey laws and policies against drug use while a CF member.  It begs the question, what other laws and policies have they continued to disobey?

Regarding too much alcohol, there is a bit of forgiveness (fortunately  ;D), but continuously coming into work unable to perform is still a performance evaluation issue and can be dealt with by supervisors/officers if it's a significant problem.  If it becomes a make or break issue, Ive known several good soldiers who got punted because they couldn't keep a grip on their drinking, or it was used in combination with other factors as a reason to get rid of them. 

bilton090 said:
  In Gagetown we were tested for roto 03/07, the ones that where pos. got 1 year C.M.P, Zero Tolerance my A@S. Went on crse.

They had completed the first stage of the process.

Get caught at the end of your career and they can punt them because of the C&P. No doubt there was also a note to file for that as well.

They are being given a second chance, same as someone who gets caught for DUI.

I've known one who was caught 10 years ago, placed on C&P and put on the spin dry course. Got caught during the same screening you speak of.

Married with 3 kids and now out without a job. 5F I believe he was awarded.

Nemo888 said:
I've known some soldiers who smoked some grass on weekends. I really don't think it ever affected their work. On the other hand I have dragged my *** in to work still pissed from the mess dinner the night before. I'm just glad I don't have to sit in judgement.

It will affect their work. They won't be able to deploy on operations and become a burden to the system to which everyone else will have to pick up the slack.

Same goes for DUI.

Regards

Just speaking from personal experience here, but I've been in Borden for 1.5 years now, and I'm living in the shacks.  I've seen way, way more drug usage than I ever thought I would in the military.  Not only usage, but people getting caught.  The punishments?  Weekend duties shoveling at the museum.  Seriously!  A carful of people caught with drugs, and they got 2 days of weekend duties.  I don't know about you guys, but zero tolerance to me should involve more serious consequences than that. 

I'd like to think that my barracks room is 'mine' because I pay to live there, but if they can't search my room for drugs, why can they come and inspect it when I'm not there?  Shouldn't it be the same thing?  I just don't see how checking to see if my bed is made or running a sniffer dog through my room would be any different?  I don't see the problem with having drug sweeps, but I could see how some people would.

Just my 2c. 

Sparkplugs said:
Just speaking from personal experience here, but I've been in Borden for 1.5 years now, and I'm living in the shacks.  I've seen way, way more drug usage than I ever thought I would in the military.  Not only usage, but people getting caught.  The punishments?  Weekend duties shoveling at the museum.  Seriously!  A carful of people caught with drugs, and they got 2 days of weekend duties.  I don't know about you guys, but zero tolerance to me should involve more serious consequences than that. 

I'd like to think that my barracks room is 'mine' because I pay to live there, but if they can't search my room for drugs, why can they come and inspect it when I'm not there?  Shouldn't it be the same thing?  I just don't see how checking to see if my bed is made or running a sniffer dog through my room would be any different?  I don't see the problem with having drug sweeps, but I could see how some people would.

Just my 2c. 

Hey Sparky, the only ones that would have a problem, are the one that have something to hide.

Cheers,

Wes

Sparkplugs said:

Barracks on base can be inspected at any time, same goes for drug sweeps. With or without you being present. Whether you like it or not.

Regards

bilton090 said:

Percisely.
Plus who knows,it may get you noticed as well,on a couple career courses then when everyone is deployed.And when you come home he's your boss and your deploying again.Any info on the 03-08 roto tests yet? >:D

Only 1.3% tested positive (if the numbers are correct), thats pretty darn good in anyone's books... 

Back