• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Cherry to receive honorary doctorate from RMC

A classy move..........................and a nice shot. :nod:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/11/04/18927271.html

Cherry passes on honorary degree from RMC

By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun

Concerned controversy may take away from “a special day,” Don Cherry has declined an honorary degree from the Royal Military College.
“I can’t accept the degree and I won’t attend the convocation,” Cherry said in an interview Friday about the Nov. 17 ceremony in Kingston. “I am sad because I was really looking forward to spending time with the 800 cadets.”

Perhaps instead they can line up to get their picture taken with French Professor Catherine Lord.
It is because of her bizarre and vitriolic complaints that the legendary hockey coach and commentator wont be there.

“On many occasions he publicly expressed his contempt for many groups of the Canadian population, notably for the French-speaking Canadians, for the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered) community and for the immigrants,” Lord wrote in an open letter. “What message will RMC send, in celebrating Don Cherry, to the students coming from these groups? And what will the Canadian people remember from RMC, as a serious and prestigious institution?”
The message would be: “Thanks, Don, for all you have done.” 

So much for all of those Canadian soldiers who have died in battle to assure free speech, I guess.
It’s also unfair because Cherry’s never had any serious issues with French-Canadians, other than those who want to separate from Canada.

To add insult to a vicious attack, the RMC faculty board passed a resolution of “dissatisfaction” about the 77-year-old receiving the degree — never once mentioning Cherry’s continuous and unabashed war time support for the troops.
The institution meanwhile stands behind its decision to grant him the degree.

“For more than two decades Don Cherry has been a stalwart public supporter of the members of the Canadian Forces and their families,” said spokesman Capt. Cynthia Kent. “Through his public appearances, he has continually drawn attention to the work and sacrifices of Canadian Forces members, along with the contributions of military families. In Canada and overseas, he has visited Canadian Forces personnel to boost their morale with both his entertaining personality and his heartfelt appreciation for their sacrifice. RMC’s honorary degree is also to recognize Mr. Cherry’s charitable causes, including organ donor awareness and Rose Cherry’s Home for Kids, which is a paediatric and hospice care facility for children now called the Darling Home for Kids.”
It’s difficult to find Lord’s resume of contributions to Canada but perhaps embarrassing RMC like this will earn her a Wikipedia mention and pats on the back from Canada’s left.

Either way it was a low blow aimed at Cherry, who not only is from Kingtson but has a long personal history with the college. His mother worked there, as did his grandfather, Richard Palamountain, who then enlisted with the Canadian Expeditionary Force where he fought and was wounded at Vimy Ridge in 1917. Palamountain returned back to the college as an employee following the war for 17 years until his death.
If not for a mean-spirited French teacher it would have been a special moment for the great Canadian patriot.

Cherry also has a long resume of honorary awards from Canada’s miliary and men and women in uniform.
He received the Canadian Forces Medallion for Distinguished Service, and was made an honorary lifetime member of the Royal Canadian Legion, an honorary member of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery and an honorary membership in the Ontario Association of Police.
He said he was very proud to be bestowed this latest honorary degree but in light of the letter and public spectacle did not want to distract attention from the two others who were also honoured — the late RMC teacher Brig.-Gen. John (Jack) Cadieux and military veteran Lt.-Col. John Desmond Gibson.

“I wouldn’t want anything to take that moment away from those families,” Cherry said. “The day should be a positive.”
As for the classless move coming from inside an institution that should understand Cherry’s importance to the troops, the coach was philosophical.
“All I know is I went to Afghanistan to spend last Christmas with the Van Doos and they didn’t seem to mind me,” joked Cherry. “They treated me so well and I have to tell you I was sure proud of them.”

With the help of the legendary Quebec City Royal 22e Régiment he fired an artillery shell on which he wrote “To the Taliban: Bon Chance” to which he later joked to the troops, “I think I spelled it wrong (it should have been ‘bonne’) but they got the idea.” Being with the Van Doos “was by far the greatest thing I have ever done in my life and the greatest thing I will ever do,” he added.
However he did point one thing missing from the trip:

“When I was in Afghanistan in all the bases I visited I didn’t see Catherine Lord there anywhere."

Bruce Monkhouse said:
“When I was in Afghanistan in all the bases I visited I didn’t see Catherine Lord there anywhere."

Booyah!

I guess considering that the RMC faculty list is open source here on the internet, Catherine Lord might be finding herself deluged with emails. 

Edited for horrible spelling error.  Deluged with emails not deluded .  :facepalm:

I wish the press would stop referring to Catherine Lord as "Professor".  She is a language teacher, period.

Don Cherry showed a lot of class, and he is the one who should be deluged with emails of support, congratulations and thanks.

As for whatshername, a resounding silence should be the reward.

Thucydides said:
Don Cherry showed a lot of class, and he is the one who should be deluged with emails of support, congratulations and thanks.
:goodpost:
Don continues to be the bigger man.

FlyingDutchman said:
I am very impressed with Don.  I cannot help but wonder how the teacher feels now.

Self-important people always feel good about themselves.

::)

I remember seeing Don do hospital visits back in the 1990's. He was very friendly.  As far as I know, it was not reported in the media. I think he sincerely enjoyed cheering people up.

.... via the CF Info-Machine (scan attached in case link doesn't work):
The Senate of the Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC) today announced that Mr. Don Cherry, a renowned hockey commentator and strong supporter of Canada's military personnel and families, will not be accepting an Honorary Degree, as planned for the 2011 Fall Convocation.

“We received with regret, but with complete understanding, Mr. Don Cherry’s personal decision not to participate in the forthcoming Convocation at the Royal Military College of Canada,” said Dr. Joel Sokolsky, Principal of RMCC. “It would have been our honour and privilege for Mr. Cherry to have received an Honorary Degree from the university, in recognition of his outstanding support for our Canadian Forces personnel and for his incredible charitable work.”

One of the aims of granting Honorary Degrees at the Royal Military College of Canada is to recognize people who are making a difference. For more than two decades, Don Cherry has been a stalwart public supporter of the members of the Canadian Forces and their families. In Canada and overseas, he has visited Canadian Forces personnel to boost their morale through both his entertaining personality and his heartfelt appreciation for their sacrifice.

Mr. Cherry is also known for his charitable causes, including organ donor awareness and Rose Cherry’s Home for Kids, which is a pediatric and hospice care facility for children now called the Darling Home for Kids.

The decision to bestow an Honorary Degree rests with the RMCC Senate, an independent body whose function is to grant degrees and honorary degrees. It is comprised of the Chancellor; the Commandant; the Principal; the Vice Principal; the Deans of the Academic Faculties; the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research; the Dean of Continuing Studies; the Academic Director of the Royal Military College, Saint-Jean; the Representative of the Faculty Board; the Director of Cadets; and the Registrar ....

Well, if we're listing one email address, why not both?  :)

don.cherry@cbc.com

I'll be tossing him off a thank you note today.  Mrs. Lord -well, maybe not quite the same thing.  ;)

RDJP said:
Well, if we're listing one email address, why not both?  :)

don.cherry@cbc.com

I'll be tossing him off a thank you note today.  Mrs. Lord -well, maybe not quite the same thing.  ;)

Looks like I have the wrong address for Mr. Cherry, as it was sent back....anyone know the correct one?  Or maybe his mailbox is full, as it just said the message was rejected but the domain?

RDJP said:
Or maybe his mailbox is full, as it just said the message was rejected but the domain?
Maybe he has your status set to <ignore> ?  :whistle:

FlyingDutchman said:
Would that not just send it to his junk folder then?
    ::)  It was a joke.

I have no reason to believe that Don Cherry even knows RDJP, let alone finds him irritating enough to have him set to <ignore>

.....as I have for several posters here.    ;)

Well, as an RMC student, I can guarantee you all that the overall feeling on Campus is that Catherine Lord just spoiled it for everyone. I can see the atmosphere in her classes becoming slightly more frigid now.

ProudNewfoundlander said:
Are any of you b'ys really surprised ? Its a university for christs sake. You would get the same reaction at any post secondary institution in Canada. Some people assume, that "RMC, theyre military right? " prospective cadets are, but most of the faculty are civvies. Just thank god they dont have a traditional student union there, or this would be magnified three fold.

Spoken like someone who has never had any real dealings with the College or its students.  ::)

Edited to correct a grammar error (thanks JM).

Journeyman said:
    ::)  It was a joke.

I have no reason to believe that Don Cherry even knows RDJP, let alone finds him irritating enough to have him set to <ignore>

.....as I have for several posters here.    ;)
Curse you text based communication that does not have the tones of a human voice!
I was going to say you could just @ him on twitter, but I'll be damned if I could find an actual twitter account of his and not an imposter.

Back