• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Cherry to receive honorary doctorate from RMC

Legally speaking, RMC issues Ontario degrees; hence it is an Ontario university. 

Mr Cherry has long been a booster for RMC (as well as the rest of the CF of course) and has some family ties to the institution. No matter what your opinion of his "performances" (newsflash, that's what they are, he plays a character on a tv show) on Coach's Corner are, it's hard to argue with the man's lengthy philanthropic efforts and his support of us as a whole.

Also a very nice, well spoken individual. Great idea in my opinion.

Wook

I can hear Bruce Dowbiggin choking on righteous indignation from here.

And I don't mind that one bit.

Other than that I have no dog in the fight but I am sure eyebrows would be raised if he was given a doctorate from the High Prairie Institute of Welding and Animal Husbandry.

Wookilar said:
Mr Cherry has long been a booster for RMC (as well as the rest of the CF of course) and has some family ties to the institution. No matter what your opinion of his "performances" (newsflash, that's what they are, he plays a character on a tv show) on Coach's Corner are, it's hard to argue with the man's lengthy philanthropic efforts and his support of us as a whole.

Also a very nice, well spoken individual. Great idea in my opinion.

Wook

I suspect individuals with a first official langauge other than English may differ in their opinion of Mr Cherry's "support".

As well, the CF has already honored Mr Cherry for his support, presenting him with a CF Medallion of Service in 2008.

Scott said:
Other than that I have no dog in the fight but I am sure eyebrows would be raised if he was given a doctorate from the High Prairie Institute of Welding and Animal Husbandry.

Yes, but difference is that the High Prairie Institute of Welding and Animal Husbandry is a school that provides valuable, real-world skills.

dapaterson said:
I suspect individuals with a first official langauge other than English may differ in their opinion of Mr Cherry's "support".
I agree, which might explain why he's not getting an honourary degree here;)

dapaterson said:
Yes, but difference is that the High Prairie Institute of Welding and Animal Husbandry is a school that provides valuable, real-world skills.

:bowdown:

milnews.ca said:
I agree, which might explain why he's not getting an honourary degree here;)

College Militaire Royale St Jean is not currently an accredited, degree-granting university; to my knowledge, at this time the are only able to grant a "Diplome des etudes collegiales".

dapaterson said:

:rofl:

*slowly clapping*

Wasn't Cherry also made an honorary Patricia?

I agree that Cherry is a huge supporter, but I'm not a fan of "honorary doctorates" at the best of times. What the hell is he supposed to be a doctorate of anyway? It's one thing to give someone who was amazing at something and has a ton of experience a doctorate in that field, but what "field" is that for Cherry?

ballz said:
It's one thing to give someone who was amazing at something and has a ton of experience a doctorate in that field, but what "field" is that for Cherry?

Not being able to count to five (says the Habs fan).

dapaterson said:
College Militaire Royale St Jean is not currently an accredited, degree-granting university; to my knowledge, at this time the are only able to grant a "Diplome des etudes collegiales".

Yep. They are affiliated to St-Jean sur Richlieu' CEGEP.

yoman said:
dapaterson said:
Yep. They are affiliated to St-Jean sur Richlieu' CEGEP.
Thanks for the new info - then it'll be no honourary diploma in the near future for Grapes from here, then.

ballz said:
It's one thing to give someone who was amazing at something and has a ton of experience a doctorate in that field, but what "field" is that for Cherry?
Sewing?

FlyingDutchman said:

Hockey? Suit design? Professional ranting?  :p

Either way it's a nice gesture on the part of RMC for recognizing somebody who has been extremely supportive of the men and women of our Armed Forces.

There's a growing tradition of people, whose career is made playing a buffoon in the media, receiving Honourary Doctorates......Stephen Colbert, Hunter S Thompson....Billy Graham....  ;)

Follow-up story in Le Devoir today - apparently 80% of RMC professors supported a motion to denounce the decision.

Original article at:  http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/335134/en-bref-les-profs-de-kingston-rejettent-cherry

Google Translation:

If it were up to professors at Royal Military College of Canada (RMC), Don Cherry would not receive honorary doctorate from the institution on November 17, as Le Devoir reported yesterday. General meeting, the teachers adopted by a majority estimated at 80% a motion denouncing the decision of the RMC Senate to grant Mr. Cherry the degree of doctor honoris causa. This motion, however, is symbolic and will not change the decision of the Senate, said the leadership in the late afternoon.

Teachers, however, forwarded their complaints to the Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay. Five years ago, the Conservative government had blocked the granting of an honorary doctorate by the CMRC U.S. General Anthony Zinni: he blamed a position too critical of the actions of the former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. Yesterday, Mr. MacKay's office said the decision to honor Mr. Cherry is the sole responsibility of the CMRC.

dapaterson said:

Professor questions honorary degree for Don Cherry

Don Cherry, a huge advocate of our men and women in the military, has been selected to receive an honorary doctorate from Royal Military College — but not everyone is happy about it.

The college's senate approved awarding the controversial hockey commentator with the honour at a recent closed-door meeting.

But now at least one member of the faculty is protesting the decision publicly.

French professor Catherine Lord criticized the college's decision to honour Cherry in a letter sent to local media.

“On many occasions he publicly expressed his contempt for many groups of the Canadian population, notably for the French-speaking Canadians, for the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered) community and for the immigrants,” Lord wrote.

“RMC is increasingly representative of the diverse society in which we live. RMC is a strong and unifying place.” 

Lord questioned what kind of message granting the honorary doctorate would send to the rest of the country.

“What message will RMC send, in celebrating Don Cherry, to the students coming from these groups? And what will the Canadian people remember from RMC, as a serious and prestigious institution?”

More at link

PMedMoe said:
“On many occasions he publicly expressed his contempt for many groups of the Canadian population, notably for the French-speaking Canadians, for the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered) community and for the immigrants,” Lord wrote.

Well, as much as I think it's a questionable decision, those reasons are just ludicrous. He has never expressed "contempt" for any of those groups.

Here he is in 1992 meeting a homosexual on a talk show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dujtJfhclUs and the last thing I would say is he is showing "contempt."

There is quite a variety backgrounds among the previous recipients:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Military_College_of_Canada_people#Notable_honorary_degree_recipients

Back