• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do I have to be good at math to be a pilot?

Tape

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a long read.
Let me introduce a bit more about myself: I am 17 as of now; I was born with a learning disability (did not know until I was diagnosed in grade 8, when I was 13). I did poorly in school with all subjects except gym because I'm fairly active and I like taking part in sports. I wasn't the smartest person in the class, but probably one of the dumbest if I say. My learning disability affected my English and mathematics skills throughout my years in school. It was the end of grade 9 when I decided to make a big commitment in improving my English and math skills, probably one of the hardest and discouraging years of my life. It wasn't until the late of grade 11, I motivated myself to pursue my dream as a pilot; ever since, I changed my ways physically, intellectually and organizationally. My dream is the only thing that motivates me to do well in school. I'm going to be grade 12 when school starts in September, and it's my last chance to do well in school and get accepted to university for criminology, and then join the forces with a DEO plan, wish me luck!  :p.

Okay enough blabbering about myself, back to the regards of my question:
I was just wondering if I have to be good at math because I know for a fact that there is math involved with being a pilot. I mean, I can do math, just not like the Calculus and Vectors crap. I mean I'm fairly good at math once I know how to do it. :eek:   

GnyHwy said:
Need help with math?  I always found these two websites very helpful.

http://patrickjmt.com/

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Youtube is also your friend.  That is how I found these sites.

Yeah, thanks. I've heard of them, and used them to help me with sciences and math as well. It's just when it comes to tests and exams is where I go bye bye to my marks because I blank out and I can't do anything about that.  :-\ :-\

Tape said:
It's just when it comes to tests and exams is where I go bye bye to my marks because I blank out and I can't do anything about that.  :-\ :-\

Well, you are going to have to get over it.

Tape said:
Yeah, thanks. I've heard of them, and used them to help me with sciences and math as well. It's just when it comes to tests and exams is where I go bye bye to my marks because I blank out and I can't do anything about that.  :-\ :-\

Unfortunately, all aircrew trades (not just Pilot) will involve lots of tests and exams, both practical and written, that will involve math.  Nothing too involved, but definitely speed-time-distance, quick arithmetic and such. 

Dimsum said:
Unfortunately, all aircrew trades (not just Pilot) will involve lots of tests and exams, both practical and written, that will involve math.  Nothing too involved, but definitely speed-time-distance, quick arithmetic and such.

Yeah, I was just wondering what kind of math is involved during training, because what I learn in high school for math is just bizarre to my brain. I just go clueless. If it's basic math, I can breeze by with ease, and I tend to answer quicker than the students who's smarter than me. Just like in chemistry, hehe.

dennmu said:
I love this forum. Great when folks help out. If we could only do without the snotty comments, that really provide no insight.

Well, I guess I gotta deal with it. Nothing we can do about that.

Tape said:
Yeah, I was just wondering what kind of math is involved during training, because what I learn in high school for math is just bizarre to my brain. I just go clueless. If it's basic math, I can breeze by with ease, and I tend to answer quicker than the students who's smarter than me. Just like in chemistry, hehe.

Honestly, if you can't do High School math, you'll have trouble getting the required scores on the CFAT to even pass step#1. On the other hand (and the good news), is that with hard work and patience it is something that can be fixed. Those sites posted a few messages up are great. I plan on using them myself to try and understand this whole EW thing I do.

Cheers, and best of luck!

BobSlob said:
Honestly, if you can't do High School math, you'll have trouble getting the required scores on the CFAT to even pass step#1. On the other hand (and the good news), is that with hard work and patience it is something that can be fixed. Those sites posted a few messages up are great. I plan on using them myself to try and understand this whole EW thing I do.

Cheers, and best of luck!

Well, I can. It just takes longer for me to process information in my head than the average student for math. As long there is patience and time involved, I think I would do fine. If worse comes to worse, I'll just ask my friend or hire a tutor to help me before I take the CFAT test. Is it possibly to retest CFAT if you did poorly or something?

I know few pilots in CF and their math was really bad. I guess the aircrew selection was too easy for them and they got in easily.

Its easy man, dont worry about negative stuff or stress over how they say you wont be able to do it. Just study gr 8-10 math on google somewhere, thats all you need to know. I hated math in school and stopped at gr 10 and thought id do bad on the cfat too, i studied three days befor the test and found it the easiest part out of the three. Keep in mind 3/4 answers are usually wayyyyy off and using reverse math(multiplication) to find the answer youll realise only ones remotly close befor you even finish the math. Just study long multiplication, cross multiplication like 12x-8y / 5a-B what is B? Type qeustions. Word qeustions. If you can add the 0 and carry the 1 youll be fine.

Tape said:
Well, I can. It just takes longer for me to process information in my head than the average student for math. As long there is patience and time involved, I think I would do fine. If worse comes to worse, I'll just ask my friend or hire a tutor to help me before I take the CFAT test. Is it possibly to retest CFAT if you did poorly or something?

Well, unfortunately, you've got to be pretty quick on that third section of the CFAT. You get 30 minutes to do 30 questions, but that time flies by in a hurry.

Yes, you can re-write, but you have to wait a year.

Donny said:
I know few pilots in CF and their math was really bad. I guess the aircrew selection was too easy for them and they got in easily.

They must be really lucky then :p!

roadrunner60 said:
Its easy man, dont worry about negative stuff or stress over how they say you wont be able to do it. Just study gr 8-10 math on google somewhere, thats all you need to know. I hated math in school and stopped at gr 10 and thought id do bad on the cfat too, i studied three days befor the test and found it the easiest part out of the three. Keep in mind 3/4 answers are usually wayyyyy off and using reverse math(multiplication) to find the answer youll realise only ones remotly close befor you even finish the math. Just study long multiplication, cross multiplication like 12x-8y / 5a-B what is B? Type qeustions. Word qeustions. If you can add the 0 and carry the 1 youll be fine.

Thanks for the tip!

AGD said:
Well, unfortunately, you've got to be pretty quick on that third section of the CFAT. You get 30 minutes to do 30 questions, but that time flies by in a hurry.

Yes, you can re-write, but you have to wait a year.

Oh, I see. I'm assuming you've taken it. How was it?

roadrunner60 said:
God damn, thats what i said, review gr 8-10 math.

LOL, sorry. I wasn't reading the whole thing properly.

Tape said:
LOL, sorry. I wasn't reading the whole thing properly.
Don't take this forum as a joke! If you don't read why would you bother posting anything? I suggest you use the search function and you will probably find answers for most of your questions.

Donny said:
Don't take this forum as a joke! If you don't read why would you bother posting anything? I suggest you use the search function and you will probably find answers for most of your questions.

Because I stated before, I have a learning disability, and I tend to perceive the comment wrong sometimes. It takes me another read to fully realize what he said, but I guess I wasn't doing that with his post.  Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

Back