• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND halts millions in benefits

Ok, fair enough - obviously, we received some incorrect information from Brookfield.

Are you having a company take care of the renting details for renting your place out? Or are you managing that side yourself? I'm interested in any option that will get me to Ottawa ASAP.

acooper said:
Are you having a company take care of the renting details for renting your place out?

I will be using a local property management company. I thought this best as i dont need the hassle of dealing directly with renters, looking for renters, etc... and i will be too far away to do things myself.

If you're going to rent your house to someone else, you definitely want to hire a property manager or management company.  It will save you untold grief and is tax-deductable.  Remember, once you rent your house, it becomes a business and any costs associated with running that business can be claimed on your taxes.  When I did it, my first goal was to try to ensure that my expenses at least cancelled my income (you have to report the rent you receive as income) from the house and so the house was essentially tax-neutral.  This isn't hard to do, especially if there is a mortgage as the bulk of your mortgage payments are often mortgage interest (which is tax-deductable, but the principal is not).

True story:  When we first decided to rent out our house years ago, we tried to do it ourselves.  We posted signs in the neighbourhood, but only got one nibble.  Not having a warm fuzzy feeling about the situation, we finally decided to hire someone to find us a tenant.  They did all the marketing and background checks and found us what turned out to be an excellent tenant who stayed for seven years.  That first nibble?  A few weeks after we met her, my wife saw her having a cheque refused at the local drug store.  The moral of the story is that we dodged a bullet by deciding to go with a property management company.  I'm sure if we had gone with that original applicant, we would have had huge problems.

Pusser said:
(you have to report the rent you receive as income)

In some cases, you can still consider the property as you primary residence for 2 years to get around it being "income". Some of our guys did that last year. it is something i have to look more into.

CDN Aviator said:
In some cases, you can still consider the property as you primary residence for 2 years to get around it being "income". Some of our guys did that last year. it is something i have to look more into.

I'm not an expert, but I find that kind of fishy.  Generally, if somebody gives you money, CRA considers it income and taxes it.  It may still be your primary residence in terms of capital gains, should you decide to sell it later (capital gains on your primary residence are non-taxable), but I would venture to guess that CRA is not going to allow you to collect two years worth of rent without paying taxes on it.

Pusser said:
I'm not an expert, but I find that kind of fishy.  Generally, if somebody gives you money, CRA considers it income and taxes it.  It may still be your primary residence in terms of capital gains, should you decide to sell it later (capital gains on your primary residence are non-taxable), but I would venture to guess that CRA is not going to allow you to collect two years worth of rent without paying taxes on it.

That was my initial reaction. Like i said, it is something i now have to look into as i didnt ask questions at the time. Both guys who did this were financialy smart guys and both moved to other provinces and rented out their condos here, so maybe there is something i am missing, but there is something to it.

I think it has something to do with renting a place yourself in another location so that the house remains your primary residence since you essentially own it.  Something to that affect, but at least we're throwing ideas out at you that you can hopefully find the answers to.

WRT:

C. TD BENEFITS FOR ALL PERS ON ATTACH POSTING (CF MEMBERS ARE NO
LONGER CONSIDERED TO BE ON TRAVEL STATUS DURING THE DURATION OF THE
ATTACH POSTING EXCEPT FOR TRAVEL TO AND FROM THEIR HOME UNIT). REF E
IS HEREBY RESCINDED."

I am currently at CFSACO on my QL3. I was posted to North Bay after BMQ, and prior to leaving for Cornwall received documentation outlining my TD claim and the amount I will receive upon return to North Bay (I didn't take an advance.)

Am I correct in assuming I am on TD? From what I deduce above only applies to attach postings.  We have been briefed on other matters regarding this Canforgen such as PMV, SE, etc..., but nothing regarding clarification on the above para.

Can anyone shed light on this?

SeaKingTacco said:
Who told you Jr NCMs would not be approved IR?
I'd like to know the source of this rumour as well.  Pay is the only thing under compensation & benefits that should descriminate based on rank.  I cannot see a blanket policy of no IR for junior ranks surviving first contact.

There are many other legitimate policies & procedures cropping up that are specific to different bases.  All pers on IR in Edmonon will now live in shacks - some may find his unpleasant, but it is not unreasonable.  In Gagetown, both the gaining & lossing unit COs must endorse an IR request before the base comd will consider it and then IR will only be approved for one year (I am unsure if this is a maximum or renewable on annual cycles).  Some bases have had crown accomodations for IR for years.  In St Jean, PMQs were convered for IR use insead of being destroyed when capacity was excess - I am guessing Gagetown is wishing it had not dozed empty PMQs now.

MCG said:
All pers on IR in Edmonon will now live in shacks - some may find his unpleasant, but it is not unreasonable.

I am about to embark on an IR posting to CFJSR in Kingston, Ont. I actually wish the BCmdr in Kingston would let me live in Shacks. As it is I will probably just rent and apartment or something.

MCG said:
In Gagetown, both the gaining & lossing unit COs must endorse an IR request before the base comd will consider it and then IR will only be approved for one year (I am unsure if this is a maximum or renewable on annual cycles).

This is Kingston's policy as well. Like you I am unsure but hopeful that this is renewable on annual cycles.

Halifax Tar said:
I am about to embark on an IR posting to CFJSR in Kingston, Ont. I actually wish the BCmdr in Kingston would let me live in Shacks. As it is I will probably just rent and apartment or something.
I suspect the decision to order IR into shacks or not is based on availability by base.  Gagetown is strained for space without fitting in IR & any PMQs that previously could not be filled have been dozed.  I would not be surprised to learn that Kingston also has a shortage of accomodation space for other requirements.

Halifax Tar said:

This is Kingston's policy as well. Like you I am unsure but hopeful that this is renewable on annual cycles.

I am currently posted to CFJSR ... IR ... I even know where you will be working.  ;)  Although, I also happen be attach-posted to MTTF in Edmonton at this specific point in time.

In Kingston, I am (was) in a one bedroom apartment --- they did not have any singles quarters avail that met the "IR standard". IE: a single room with it's own bathroom facilities -- "one bedroom apaprtment". IR pers don't share as they are entitled to that privacy due to their IR status. If that is not avail, then they will authorize the 1 bedroom apartment that you are entitled to.

Gagetown works the same way. No single room with private washroom ... then no shacks and into an apartment.

I don't know how many pers are posted IR to Edmonton, but Edmonton seems to have very minimal single rooms with private washrooms (judging by the building I live in where the vast majority of the rooms have more than one pers in them and washrooms are shared with room next door or common washrooms to the floor.

If the rooms are not there to put IR people in, then that is when the "move into an apartment" kicks in. Shacks should be the first option (always), but if they can't meet the above room-type, they can't just ignore the minimal ...

MCG said:
I would not be surprised to learn that Kingston also has a shortage of accomodation space for other requirements.

Extreme shortage, there are a lot of PATs still here.

PuckChaser said:
Extreme shortage, there are a lot of PATs still here.

Nor do they have a lot of single private rooms with own bathroom facilities.

MCG said:
I suspect the decision to order IR into shacks or not is based on availability by base.  Gagetown is strained for space without fitting in IR & any PMQs that previously could not be filled have been dozed.  I would not be surprised to learn that Kingston also has a shortage of accomodation space for other requirements.

There's a few IR pers in shacks in Gagetown. The issue is with lack of rooms (on any base these days) that meet the "single room  with private toilet/shower facilities". When those are gone, downtown to the apartment one goes.

Sounds like people think the "shacks first" means that they'll be able to just cram IR pers into rooms with roommates, no private shower, toilet etc despite the minimum standard ... If they ever tried to do that, they'd best make sure that each and every single IR pers is crammed into exact same - depite rank/posn -  else the grieveances will be flying I predict as rank/posn has nothing to do with the minimum standard an IR pers is entitled to.

Years ago in Kingston rank did make a difference. Officers below the rank of Major stayed on base, Majors and above were requested (told) to live off base. I had a colleague who was finishing his degree at RMC. He started in shacks as a Capt, and when he was promoted 1 Dec to Maj was told he needed to find commercial accommodations, as there were no rooms available in the Officer's quarters fit for senior officers. No amount of persuasion would convince them to make an exception for his last 6 months of classes.

I bet that there will be a review of IR policy with respects to the standard of room. If I had a crystal ball, I'd say the "single room with private bath" standard will disappear, and bases will be left to determine what they consider an adequate standard.

Back