• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

daftandbarmy said:
So, when 'leadership' at the highest levels promises all kinds of awesome training and everyone is pumped then, at the last minute, it's all cancelled because Bde has blown the budget and we can't go on weekend exercises anymore and have to cut parade nights down to 2 per month, then what?

Then the CBG Comd should be engaged by the COs.  I suspect the Comd would then have some direct questions for his HQ COS who is usually a Reg Force LCol and also the HQ CO.  If needed a discussion with the Div could follow.  Just needs people at the right level to have some nads.

MilEME09 said:
Im one of those people that complain about the training. However I get it that the army is repetative in nature. What grinds my gears is when the chain of command does not even try to make training engaging or interesting. As well as when we go on EX and the most jr person there has 3 years at the unit and they treat us all like we have never seem a hide before.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

The most junior person on Ex having three years in is a problem all unto itself.

Flavus101 said:
The most junior person on Ex having three years in is a problem all unto itself.

Not if he is a Cpl or above with more than three years in the army, not just the unit.

George Wallace said:
Not if he is a Cpl or above with more than three years in the army, not just the unit.

Thats why I worded it that way, if it was a Pte with only 3 years in the army thats not an issue.

MilEME09 said:
Thats why I worded it that way, if it was a Pte with only 3 years in the army thats not an issue.

:warstory:

It seems that that flew over the heads of some.  [:D

What I was referring to is that it is generally very hard to survive as a reserve unit if you are not constantly taking on new troops (perhaps this rule mostly applies to the infantry regiments) each year.

If it was a unit ex and the most junior person on that ex had three years in that speaks to (what I believe anyways) a serious problem to the health of a unit.

Flavus101 said:
What I was referring to is that it is generally very hard to survive as a reserve unit if you are not constantly taking on new troops (perhaps this rule mostly applies to the infantry regiments) each year.

If it was a unit ex and the most junior person on that ex had three years in that speaks to (what I believe anyways) a serious problem to the health of a unit.

CSS used to go a year or two without getting a new recruit, call that a recruiting problem. Once recruited though it used to be a couple years before the member was out with the unit, the first two years on average were lost to BMQ and BMQ-L.

That's the problem with forcing the units to run courses on the weekends for BMQ instead of during the summer. Wastes 2 full years of weekend training.

I said on average because I find only if the recruit is a student can they do both it 1 summer.

MilEME09 said:
I said on average because I find only if the recruit is a student can they do both it 1 summer.

Or, a teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuckChaser said:
That's the problem with forcing the units to run courses on the weekends for BMQ instead of during the summer. Wastes 2 full years of weekend training.

Interesting to see they do BMQ over so many weekends instead of the summer. When I joined up in the late spring of 1979, it was under the auspices of something called SRTP, or Summer Recruit Training Programme. It was partly a way of giving kids 16 and older a summer job and partly a way of bringing them into the reserves. The programme ran for the entire summer, save for the last week of August and was designed to give participants an abbreviated form of basic training. In the fall, returning graduates would go straight into the TQ1 phase of trades training.

Eland2 said:
When I joined up in the late spring of 1979, it was under the auspices of something called SRTP, or Summer Recruit Training Programme. It was partly a way of giving kids 16 and older a summer job and partly a way of bringing them into the reserves.

I did the Student Summer Employment Plan (SSEP) when I was 16 with the RCASC. I enjoyed it, and decided to stay in the Reserve.

mariomike said:
I did the Student Summer Employment Plan (SSEP) when I was 16 with the RCASC. I enjoyed it, and decided to stay in the Reserve.
We are targeting high school students in our unit. More BMQ courses slated to run in the brigade than normal this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I enrolled in Oct 1962 it was the Young Soldier Training Plan (YSTP). We has YS after our service number H817400YS until we transferred to the Militia. Had to be 16. I just turned 15. After I got my CD a friendly clerk changed my birth date.

I think they changed the acronym every year, there was also the SYEP (Summer Youth Employment Program) which also used funds from HRDC as I recall.

In addition, a few brigades have high school co-op programs where students get work place credits as well as BMQ.

works for some trades not others, unless you are going for a masters or PhD, and have summers off for 8 years, you will take a long time to become say a vehicle or weapons tech, or an officer for that matter.

dapaterson said:
If by "regiment" you mean "undersyrength company that can, on a good day, field two sections"...

Hey, are you really saying that size does matter? That the five battalions of the R22eR are not somehow the ceremonial and heritage equal of those two sections?

The British Army had a similar issue with units that brought minimal combat capability to the table but had very active political and social connections. I once heard a Territorial Army unit described as "A Masonic Lodge with a Rifle Company attached". The answer they found was amalgamation; initially painful, but much more flexible and effective in the long run.

Back