• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]

If selections will be held every 6 weeks for DEO's starting in April how quickly does CFRG anticipate filling the slots for Sept. 06 and Jan 07 IAP's. Is it then possible that within a few months all the DEO positions will be filled until Sept. 07 ? At first glance it just looks like they'll be limiting the # of files they can consider, the initial training schedule will not change right ?

dardt said:
If selections will be held every 6 weeks for DEO's starting in April how quickly does CFRG anticipate filling the slots for Sept. 06 and Jan 07 IAP's. Is it then possible that within a few months all the DEO positions will be filled until Sept. 07 ? At first glance it just looks like they'll be limiting the # of files they can consider, the initial training schedule will not change right ?

Yes it is possible but highly unlikely that all the IAP/BOTP slots will be filled in a few months.  The problem with doing it this way is that we may not get the best possible applicant for the job but I guess that is a risk they have considered and are willing to take.  My advice to anybody thinking about DEO to apply as soon as possible.

kincanucks said:
My advice to anybody thinking about DEO to apply as soon as possible.

I'm incredibly anxious to apply for DEO Infantry, and I could walk away from school with a BA General in Political Science at the end of April, but if I stay I can complete a BA Combined Honours in Human Rights & International Relations by the end of December 06.  I'd like to enter the Army as soon as possible frankly, but I figured it'd be worthwhile to put it off until I could earn the more advanced degree. That said, if selection boards are no longer in place, could I actually be putting myself at a disadvantage by waiting? I couldn't imagine either missing out on the January or September 07 courses and being stuck with my degree and nothing to do but sit and wait for my dream job!

The longer you wait the more chances you take about not making it in on time or there not being any positions.  Your choice and good luck.

So if they decide your going to IAP/BOTC in May for the sept 06 iap/botc, will they tell you as soon as they choose you? Eg. May

As soon as you are selected and an offer of employment has been sent to your CFRC/D you will be contacted.

kincanucks said:
The longer you wait the more chances you take about not making it in on time or there not being any positions.  Your choice and good luck.

Thank you for the tip.

I walked into CFRC Ottawa this morning and got all the paperwork to apply. They said it'd be no problem if merit listed and selected for the January 07 course to go on condition that by then I had finished all my course work and my official graduation was just a few months away.

I will try to schedule my interview, fitness, and medical for as soon as I'm within the 6 month window and start crossing my fingers!

Thanks for posting this announcement, kincanucks.

I have a quick question about the NOAB for anyone here.  (I hope that this stays on the topic on this thread about DEO boards.  I just didn't want to spam the board with a new thread).

I have a general idea of when the NOAB happens.  (I assume there is one NOAB during spring and one NOAB during autumn).  However, can anyone tell me where can I find out about the exact dates of the NOABs for 2006? I'd prefer an internet source; otherwise, I would have bothered the recruiting officer already. 

Thank you to anyone who answers!

I am wondering what my chances are of entering via DEO into either Logistics or one of the cbt arms.

I am in my mid to late 30's and have made more then a few mistakes in my life.
I have an MBA in Finance, but have managed to muck up my life enough to never actually use the degree.
I would have thought that if I got my life on track, getting some sort of job for a few years, lost the excess weight, got into great shape, learned a bit of French, that I would have some sort of chance. I have no criminal background. Don't do the drugs, booze or even cigs.  I got a 95 percentile on the GMAT, and do extremely well with the various intelligence tests, including the one on mensa.org. So any standard tests I should blow away.

Basically, the idea I had that getting out of a hole takes some ability. After all only about 5% or so manage for example to lose 40 or so pounds and keep it off for more then a year. I've managed to do that.

Then in the "DEO Logistics Officer Questions" kincanucks writes,  "For the last Log O board there was 105 files for two positions.  The files that were selected had MBAs and one or both were in charge of million dollar budgets in their current civilian occupations.  Why they want to join the CF who knows maybe they are looking for adventure."

Which leads me to believe that unless one is utterly perfect and stellar, that I might as well forget about DEO.

Question 1: Am I correct in this assumption.
Question 2: Would the odds change with a reserve vs reg force position
Question 3: How hard would it be to enter as a NCM with said background should the DEO be out of the question.

It seems on this board that the attitude seems to be don't worry, just try. However I would like to know if it is a Forlorn hope or not. If it is,  I will still continue with trying to get my ducks in a row... except maybe for the French. That is a sacrifice I would only do for the Forces.

I don't present myself to be the SME in this area. IMO that is definitely kincanucks. I will offer you this though; The word on the street is that Logistics is a difficult trade to get into from the civie side. But don't let this stop your application process. You also mentioned cbt arms as a possibility, you would most certainly have more luck with cbt arms trades.

That said, you also mentioned being in a hole. Well, I have personally known several people (a few of which were DEO) that had been through bankruptsy and lost their house and car previous to joining the CF.

WRT french, if you do join and get through IAP/BOTP you would move on to Second Language Training for 8 months. Don't worry about being bilingual before you join, the CF will train you. However, if you were to take the initiative to learn the language on your own time before joining it certainly would not hinder your application.

I have a philosophy in life: It never hurts to ask/try. This philosophy has gotten me places I didn't think I would have gone had I not asked/tried. So firstly I will say, good on you for trying to get your life out of a hole. Keep working on it and you will do fine. If you really want the CF as a career, put in your application and keep your fingers crossed. Keep a positive attitude rather than a defeatest one, and you never know, you just may get what you asked/tried for.

CdnArtyWife said:

WRT french, if you do join and get through IAP/BOTP you would move on to Second Language Training for 8 months. Don't worry about being bilingual before you join, the CF will train you. However, if you were to take the initiative to learn the language on your own time before joining it certainly would not hinder your application.

I have a philosophy in life: It never hurts to ask/try. This philosophy has gotten me places I didn't think I would have gone had I not asked/tried. So firstly I will say, good on you for trying to get your life out of a hole. Keep working on it and you will do fine. If you really want the CF as a career, put in your application and keep your fingers crossed. Keep a positive attitude rather than a defeatest one, and you never know, you just may get what you asked/tried for.

French, and second languages is the one area I've always had trouble with in school. Well that at pure math, but there are few who can do well with such things ;). I managed to spend my first 13 years of life in Quebec without learning it, failing it every second year. Haven't done any for over 20 years.
On a more important note, as you say in your last line of the first quoted paragraph. If I can take a subject which is brutal hard for me, and if not master it, then at least work on it and show progress, it would no doubt show in part that I am worthy of consideration, it would be a way of at least partly showing that I am not a frig up that I have been. Likewise, should I go from being the 325 pound, can't outwalk my 70 year old heart patient father, to the 280 pound 3.5 mph walker [with the ruck sack sized gut] I am now, and to the under 200 pound [6'2] Superior or near superior scoreing on the fitness test guy. That would also be a good thing. These are the sort of things I figure, rightly or wrongly, I would need to prove to myself and a recruiter that I have turned a new leaf.

Of course in the case of the latter, it is something I really must do anyways, even if I've been banned from military service for life.

As for the attitude, I agree, but there is a point where I would like to know about how realistic it is. I don't want to be like those fellows who join a reserve unit with the goal of sniper training in their glittering eyes. Goals which as other threads go are pretty much impossible.

Fortunatly, aside from the French, everything else I plan on doing is worth doing even if there were no military.

Well then, I guess it really depends on how big of a frig up you've been.

You said you have not done drugs, don't drink, don't smoke. +1 for you
You said you have no criminal back ground. Another +1 for you

If you have been a "frig up" financially in the past, ok, you are human. Like I said before, there have been people accepted (and still in) the CF with financial issues. The key is to be honest about everything on your application and at the interviews. HONESTY is key. And if you are making obvious steps to better yourself that is another +1 for you.

For some people who get bogged down financially (whether they were never taught good fiscal responsibility practices or just had a slew of bad luck) the CF is a hope, a light at the end of the tunnel for an opportunity for change for the better and job security.

Right now, by the sounds of it, your physical fitness may be your biggest obstacle in your application to the CF. Keep working on it, and stay honest.

It is my opinion (but again kincanucks is more expert, by far, than I) that with hard work and determination, the CF is not a pipe dream in your case. Your first choice for trades (LOG) may be hard to get, but you haven't ruled out cbt arms...and well, I may be biased, but Arty isn't that bad from what I've seen. ;)

"For the last Log O board there was 105 files for two positions.  The files that were selected had MBAs and one or both were in charge of million dollar budgets in their current civilian occupations.  Why they want to join the CF who knows maybe they are looking for adventure."

JHFC didn't I write that three years ago?  There are more positions but the competition still remains high.  Apply and find out but have alternatives and stop asking someone to look in a crystal ball to see if you are going to make it or not.  Present the best possible application and do the very best in all aspects of the processing.  Good Luck.

Not the mama said:
I got a 95 percentile on the GMAT

Not bad. That's 2 percentile above me. But English is not my native language. And I had a little cold that day. I'm not impressed... *lol*

I was recently informed that there were no DEO selection boards in April and they are now scheduled for next week, maybe.

kincanucks, is it expected for a CEOTP board to sit at this same time?  If not, do you know when the next CEOTP board will be held.

JG

johngalt said:
kincanucks, is it expected for a CEOTP board to sit at this same time?  If not, do you know when the next CEOTP board will be held.

JG

DEO and CEOTP at the same time.

Kinkanucks:

This is a very interesting development in  the recruiting process.  The questions I have concerning this is given the new six week cycle, will this cause a huge administrative burden on the recruiting centres? I find it incredible that if a candidate hands in their completed application with all the necessary supporting documentation, that their file would be ready to be forwarded to the CRFG in Borden to coincide with this short and very fast selection board cycle.

Can a recruiting centre realistically process an applicant in that short of a timeframe, or are we going to be confronted with a situation that the only people who have a realistic chance of making the first few "boards" are only those that have submitted their applications several months in advance of the first boards?

My case as an example, is that I have just submitted my application to the recruiting centre on the 23rd of May for DEO Logistics (AIR), HCA and PAFFO.  My concern is that there will have passed several boards before I have had the chance to do the required medical, physical and interview etc.

Therefore, I am just curious for applicants in the same "boat" as myself, who have just applied slightly before the newly first six week selection boards, that are we looking at completely missing most of the selection boards for the 2006 Fiscal Period?

It would be great if my file is ready in six weeks to be sent off to CFRG Borden, although I fear that given that it had previously taken several months to process applicants, that this may still be what we should expect.

Thanks so much Kincanucks for your kind attention to my post. You are a wealth of information and I always enjoy your post!!!!

Cheers!!!

mare2mare  :salute:

mare2mare71 said:
Kinkanucks:

This is a very interesting development in  the recruiting process.  The questions I have concerning this is given the new six week cycle, will this cause a huge administrative burden on the recruiting centres? I find it incredible that if a candidate hands in their completed application with all the necessary supporting documentation, that their file would be ready to be forwarded to the CRFG in Borden to coincide with this short and very fast selection board cycle.

Can a recruiting centre realistically process an applicant in that short of a timeframe, or are we going to be confronted with a situation that the only people who have a realistic chance of making the first few "boards" are only those that have submitted their applications several months in advance of the first boards?

My case as an example, is that I have just submitted my application to the recruiting centre on the 23rd of May for DEO Logistics (AIR), HCA and PAFFO.  My concern is that there will have passed several boards before I have had the chance to do the required medical, physical and interview etc.

Therefore, I am just curious for applicants in the same "boat" as myself, who have just applied slightly before the newly first six week selection boards, that are we looking at completely missing most of the selection boards for the 2006 Fiscal Period?

It would be great if my file is ready in six weeks to be sent off to CFRG Borden, although I fear that given that it had previously taken several months to process applicants, that this may still be what we should expect.

Thanks so much Kincanucks for your kind attention to my post. You are a wealth of information and I always enjoy your post!!!!

Cheers!!!

mare2mare  :salute:

So you would rather have only two boards a year and have your file sit around waiting for one of them?  This way when a file is ready it gets sent up right away instead of waiting for the next file due date.  Your post comes off as a bit premature and self-serving since you have not even been processed yet.  Why don't you give the system a chance before you complain about whether or not your file will make it to the next board in time or if there will be any spots left for you.  Every applicant is different and the time it will take for each applicant to be ready to be sent to CFRG will be different.

Can a recruiting centre realistically process an applicant in that short of a timeframe

Why do people insist on the "oh it happened to them so it should happen to me" attitude?  Every applicant is different.  Worry about passing the CFAT, the interview, the medical and the physical.

Thanks for the info.

I suppose I could contribute a word about patience.  I myself find the waiting to be maddening, but have gotten used to it.  Once recruits become Soldiers, the waiting does not just disappear; it gets longer. 
So hang in there.  Plant a tree or something and wait for it to grow in the meantime.

Back