• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Difficulty deciding on my career choice....

Vagabond

Inactive
Reaction score
yes.. another one of THOSE threads  ::) Sorry  :facepalm:

Anyways, ever since I've learned that I can potentially apply again for the CF  :warstory: , I've been looking through the recruiting site and drafting up a list of trades that interest me.

Hitting the pause button for a second, I guess I should explain my interests: I am from a New Zealand family (I am the only born Canadian in the ENTIRE family), and sailing is in our blood. I have been in category 5-6 seas and not even felt a whiff of seasickness. So the Navy, naturally, is an interesting platform to me. I'm also VERY technically minded, so much so that my civilian profession at this time is as a Junior IT technician. I am not so good at math (i can do high school level, but nothing at the full engineering level), and I do have a bachelor's degree (in the Humanities), but feel that I am not officer level material and would much prefer being enlisted. I want to be the one pushing the buttons and operating the machinery, not telling others to do it :D (call me a type B personality if you have to  :blotto: )

Hitting the play button, I have narrowed down my interests to three trades. I would appreciate real world feedback and suggestions, and all responses will be carefully considered. I am also heading down to the CFRC Calgary tomorrow afternoon to chat with a Navy recruiter.

Anyways, my occupation interests:

NavComm
NCIOp
NESOp

The reason that I have narrowed down to these three is because I believe that, from past experience and knowledge, I would integrate really well into an operations-level team. I love working with, around, and in electronics and communications, and I would love to be in the Ops Room if at all possible. I'm just not sure which of those three I would like to pursue the most, as they are ALL interesting to me

Again, I appreciate any and all feedback, and any harsh real world truths you can tell me, I would love to read  :salute: :cdn:

Since you're in Calgary, I would suggest going to HMCS TECUMSEH (the Naval Reserve Division there) on their next training night and talking with the NavComm and NCIOP personnel there as well as going to the CFRC.  Talk to the MARS officers there too; they'll give you a good read on what is involved in the trade (which does include a lot of button-pushing in an Ops Room.)

Dimsum said:
Since you're in Calgary, I would suggest going to HMCS TECUMSEH (the Naval Reserve Division there) on their next training night and talking with the NavComm and NCIOP personnel there as well as going to the CFRC.  Talk to the MARS officers there too; they'll give you a good read on what is involved in the trade (which does include a lot of button-pushing in an Ops Room.)

Good advice! I believe Tecumseh trains on Wednesday nights (will confirm at CFRC today). Thanks

Well, went and talked to a Lt(N) at CFRC Calgary today. Gave me a good rundown on both the highs and lows of shipboard life as well as duty structure (cleaning stations, standing watch while alongside, etc), occupational level advice (he says I would probably be best suited for NavComm based on his first impression of me, but he also filled me in on NES and NCI ops), and general head checking.

He says that he hopes to see me there as soon as any of those three MOS fields open (should be in January/Feb).

So, time to get all my paperwork in order, so as soon as one of the trades opens, I'm there in a flash :D

Back