• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did you want to join the army growing up?

eve_0415

Reaction score
I’m preparing to apply for the reserves.. I’ve always wanted to join the army but it was something I considered I “think about but never get to” because I’m unfit, a girl, and quite scared of the reaction I could get from my helicopter parents. Then I learned I can join as Class A and I think I have something to work for and I’m quite excited preparing for it!

When I talk about this to my friends they say “there are other ways to prove yourself..” etc. Although I have some others that say “I think it’s quite cool”.. So I was surprised because I thought everyone always had this thought in their head to want to join? lol… Maybe it’s only me🤣. How about you guys?

Not the army, but the Navy in my case. I just knew I was going to be a sailor from the first time I sailed on my uncle's sailboat when I was four. From that point on, I became enamored with everything "ships" and the sea, and particularly with all the British naval history and related work of fiction (such as the Adventures of Horatio Hornblower).

P.S. The only person you have to prove yourself to is ... yourself. And the military (regular or reserve) is a great way to get to learn about your own character and self.

Yes, joined Cadets as soon and I turned 12 (got my pilots licence), then joined the local reserve unit while in Gr12 (Class A), then transferred to the Reg Force upon graduating high school. Honestly, I felt cadets and the reserves really set me up for success early in my career.

On the other hand, my wife joined the Reg Force straight out of high school with ZERO knowledge of anything military (other than Hollywood depictions).

I played a lot of paintball and airsoft when I was younger. I've had this admiration for soldiers in military movies like Black Hawk Down and Jarhead. I joined Reg Force as Armoured even if I was qualified to be Aircraft Tech with my civilian equivalence.

Did 4 years, deployed once, and 20 years later im back as a Reservist as MSE Op.

Years and years ago I would see the CAR jumping from my cottage, and I knew what I wanted to do.

I joined the PRes in High School, then went to the Reg’s.

When I was a kid, I floated between wanting to be a firefighter, police officer, and astronaut pretty interchangeably.

I was involved in Scouting at a young age and I guess the concept of citizenship and service became pretty ingrained in me.

I joined Cadets in middle school and was pretty whole hog into the program during my teen years (meeting my now wife, then girlfriend through the program helped to keep me interested).

Joining the CAF was the logical progression afterwards, especially since my girlfriend and I became parents at 18... there was good motivation to secure a decent job with benefits.

Its been 17 and a half years and I have zero regrets.

Sligtly different for me, I grew up distantly aware of the military but never really considered it for myself. Then Afghanistan happened and I decided I wanted to get involved. I left when that mission ended because I figured there'd be nothing to do and I hated the idea of being in a military without a mission. I've always kindof regretted leaving and now I'm back in for as long as the green machine will have me.

On the day I was born I was wearing combat boots which my mother DID NOT appreciate! Joined the Army in 1983, when the parents relented and had (mostly) a great time. Just retired last year and do miss it a bit, but for me the fun days were over.

I’m preparing to apply for the reserves.. I’ve always wanted to join the army but it was something I considered I “think about but never get to” because I’m unfit, a girl, and quite scared of the reaction I could get from my helicopter parents. Then I learned I can join as Class A and I think I have something to work for and I’m quite excited preparing for it!

When I talk about this to my friends they say “there are other ways to prove yourself..” etc. Although I have some others that say “I think it’s quite cool”.. So I was surprised because I thought everyone always had this thought in their head to want to join? lol… Maybe it’s only me🤣. How about you guys?
I was in Cadets for a bit and while I liked it, I left early because of school commitments. I went to university and joined the Naval Reserve there but thought I’d just do a few years as Class A while progressing in my civilian career field. That career field didn’t really pan out so I thought I’d sign a contract to sail for a couple of years while I waited out the industry.

The industry didn’t get better when the contract ended, so I OT’d to the RCAF. It’s been over 20 years at this point, and I didn’t plan on being in uniform full time, or more than a few years.

I joined the Mo because neither of my older siblings had prepared the ground for the likes of me...and there was a parental "intervention" as until I hit 16 they had never had cops visit the house.....

After 8 years Res and 32 years Reg F it all worked out okay in the long run.

Don't do it for the money or the pension.

Do it because you can blow stuff up ... and shoot machine guns/ artillery ... and jump out of airplanes... and drive big boats/ trucks/ armoured vehicles fast ... and... and... all the stuff that civvies will never get to do.

And I've seen people of all shapes and sizes as well as alot of females do very well in my trade, Infantry, as well as many others, so don't let that hold you back.

I wanted to be RCMP, or a Royal Marine. I eventually joined the CAF as Infantry (NSaskR, PPCLI and The Royal Winnipeg Rifles).

As a kid playing vidyas I loved being highly tactical and to fully immerse myself in the roleplay.

To think I could be paid to just keep doing the same thing? Obviously, it had to happen!

Naturally, real life is not a game, but I think any reasonable person understands that and it's not really a problem. Still did cool stuff. The seasickness was not as cool. What disappointed me is how the organization grew increasingly less military and more corporate/bureaucratic as time went on.

Do it because you can blow stuff up ... and shoot machine guns/ artillery ... and jump out of airplanes... and drive big boats/ trucks/ armoured vehicles fast ... and... and... all the stuff that civvies will never get to do.

And I've seen people of all shapes and sizes as well as alot of females do very well in my trade, Infantry, as well as many others, so don't let that hold you back.
Of course! Very fortunately I am in a career that pays enough for my living. I just want to see what I can do, and you only live once. If I had wanted to do it all this time, I might as well try!

Also I agree with your last part but I am so unfit.. I lack muscle and mass in general so I may have to bulk a lot. lol.

Also I agree with your last part but I am so unfit.. I lack muscle and mass in general so I may have to bulk a lot. lol.
Where there's a will there's a way.

I remember my first basic there were tiny girls and boys pushing through by sheer force of will.

Basic made them physically stronger, but they came in with the mental fortitude that was more important than anything else.

The Regular Force was my sister's first, and last, employer.

She didn't get rich, but I have never heard her complain about the pay or pension.

Back