• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did anyone say bacon? :D

Now, from the alternative media, how bacon is BAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!! (no this is NOT parody/satire....)
Among my fondest childhood memories is savoring a strip of perfectly cooked bacon that had just been dragged through a puddle of maple syrup. It was an illicit pleasure; varnishing the fatty, salty, smoky bacon with sweet arboreal sap felt taboo. How could such simple ingredients produce such riotous flavors?

That was then. Today, you don't need to tax yourself applying syrup to bacon -- McDonald's does it for you with the McGriddle. It conveniently takes an egg, American cheese and pork and nestles it between pancakelike biscuits suffused with genuine fake-maple-syrup flavor.

The McGriddle is just one moment in an era of extreme food combinations -- a moment in which bacon plays a starring role, from high cuisine to low....

egy sárvédő said:
Me too... and on my bacon.  :)

Syrup on back bacon or peameal.  If it's just regular strips of bacon, I like them crispy and by themselves.  As a matter of fact, I had bacon and eggs last night for supper and a toasted tomato and bacon sandwich the night before.  Bet my arteries are hardening now.  :nod:

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks the bacon in a bottle looks like....um, not bacon?  Maybe it was just the colour in the picture!
As for the haggis, where can I get some??  I got hooked on that stuff last year at the Scottish Irish festival here in town.
:piper: BYTD

PMedMoe said:
Syrup on back bacon or peameal.  If it's just regular strips of bacon, I like them crispy and by themselves.  As a matter of fact, I had bacon and eggs last night for supper and a toasted tomato and bacon sandwich the night before.  Bet my arteries are hardening now.  :nod:
Yes, definitely... gotta have syrup on back bacon and peameal... yummy.

I have been craving bacon and eggs or a bacon and tomato sandwich or even better, a club house sandwich, for quite a while... just can't bring myself to do it, only to have to work it off. 

----------------

BYT Driver said:
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks the bacon in a bottle looks like....um, not bacon?  Maybe it was just the colour in the picture!
As for the haggis, where can I get some??  I got hooked on that stuff last year at the Scottish Irish festival here in town.
Yes, I agree, the squeeze bottle bacon does not look like bacon.

I haven't had any haggis since childhood... if memory serves me correctly, it tastes substantially more appetizing if you make your own, rather than buying it already prepared; you should be able to find a recipe online and the ingredients you could likely find at your local market and/or have some items ordered in through a local grocery store.  However, I'm sure you could find online an international grocery store or call up a shop in Scotland who could mail some of the canned variety out to you.  Another option is to locate and contact a Scottish import shop some where in Canada; usually they'll bring items in on request.

Quote from: PMedMoe on Today at 09:38:40

Hey, I didn't say that!!  I may be (part) Scots but you'd have to give me an awful lot of alcohol to get me to eat haggis.  :-X

PMedMoe said:
Hey, I didn't say that!!  I may be (part) Scots but you'd have to give me an awful lot of alcohol to get me to eat haggis.  :-X
LOL... sorry about that, I noticed right away after the post went through (or rather, as it was going through) and was in the middle of fixing it when you were posting the above reply... so it's already fixed. :)

I'm quite certain I didn't like haggis as a child, but I do remember my grandfather eating it with ketchup... either way, yuck.

Mmmm, haggis and scotch pies with HP and mashed potatoes....that'll bind you  up nice...small wonder the Scots were always fighting,,,they needed to crap!  :piper:
I got hooked on the stuff last year, and I like it.

Some of the best haggis I've had was at regimental dinners catered by a German immigrant cook - the best I've had tastes like flavourful savoury stuffing/dressing, the worst like cardboardy oatmeal.

I guess it's like liver or anchovies - love 'em or hate 'em.

Does anyone remember the freeze dried rations from the lat 70's/early 80's? I beleive they were called LRP rations.

Chili  was one item
Chicken stew was another.....

I never had the pleasure however I do remember the canned IRPs that replaced the RP4s in the first 1/2 of the '70s.  They introduced such delicacies as Vienna Sausages to the bill of fare.  Haven't been able to even look at a can of it on a supermarket shelf since.  Nor Luncheon meat nor tinned jamabalaya nor dehydrated mashed potatoes either.

OldSoldier said:
Does anyone remember the freeze dried rations from the lat 70's/early 80's? I beleive they were called LRP rations.

Chili  was one item
Never had the chili, but had the "little cardboard cubes of chicken-esque material" stew when I was in Air Cadets - MMM-mm-(not)-so-good...

OldSoldier said:

Chili  was one item

We had some freeze dried stuff that was for group meals and required a field kitchen to prepare. It was not too bad, but it was really a pain in the butt. To use the stuff up, some genius started issuing it to kitchens as part of the rations. I was in CTC at the time and the Commandant of the Combat Arms School organized a professional development exercise (aka officers luncheon) and ordered us all on rations for the day. The meal was free but it cost us each something like $15 (and this was in the mid-seventies) each for the wine we consumed.

Old Sweat said:
We had some freeze dried stuff that was for group meals and required a field kitchen to prepare. It was not too bad, but it was really a pain in the butt. To use the stuff up, some genius started issuing it to kitchens as part of the rations. I was in CTC at the time and the Commandant of the Combat Arms School organized a professional development exercise (aka officers luncheon) and ordered us all on rations for the day. The meal was free but it cost us each something like $15 (and this was in the mid-seventies) each for the wine we consumed.
I'm curious - what was the plonk of choice with dehydrated chicken cube stew?

The entree was freeze-dried steak. It wasn't too bad, especially after extended pre-luncheon drinks. The red was whatever was cheapest.

And who could ever forget the gastronomical delight of the ham omelette??  Yummm    :D
Once tried some american stuff in a can, all I can say is it was EXTREMELY salted....did I mention it had some salt??

BYT Driver said:
And who could ever forget the gastronomical delight of the ham omelette??  Yummm    :D
Multi-purpose, too - I'm sure they would stop SOMETHING ballistic when frozen solid.

Another canned blast from the past - Drach's mystery meat?  Anyone?  Anyone?

I think we just need to start a Weird News thread.  ;D

Pig rescued from Tim Horton's bathroom

RIDGETOWN, Ont. — Friday was anything but a routine day for a University of Guelph professor at the Ridgetown campus.

Dr. Paul Luimes was called shortly after midnight and asked to come to the bathroom at the Tim Horton’s location in Ridgetown.

Police wanted to determine if a four-week-old weaner pig found abandoned in the bathroom belonged to the college.

“It wasn’t one of ours," said Luimes. “But it was a healthy, young pig that weighed about 15 pounds."

Luimes offered to take the pig back to the college for the balance of the night.

When he arrived at the college shortly after 8 a.m. the pig had been claimed by its owner - reportedly a student who lives nearby.

More on link

I guess they may have to change restaurant signs to say "No animals allowed" as opposed to the "No dogs allowed".    ::)

After hearing this on the news, and that the fact that the pig actually belonged to a Student, I am of the opinion that it was a setup.  I think it was a Student who wanted to make a political statement about "Pigs" in reference to the Police, and a pig, in an establishment that sold donuts.  I really think that this was a prank by this student meant to make a "derogatory political statement".  As such, I think this student should be held responsible.  How else did their pig get into a Timmies washroom?

Back