• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DHC Caribou Aircraft

gordjenkins

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a DHC Caribou still flying in Canada -
or in a museum in Canada -
or in storage even -in Canada ??

Anywhere in Canada there has to be one !!

(DHC-4 Caribou (known in the U.S. military as CV-2 and C-7 )
gordjenkins@gmail.com
www.115ATU.ca

I saw a cool austrailian Army recruiting video a few years ago with troops charging out of the back of one, I thought" that's a funny looking buffallo", that's how I learned about it.

I know this Caribou isn`t in Canada, but this just turn to be a coincidence that i had just was browsing through aircraft classifieds and i come across this just before i read this forum.

http://www.myplane.com/ad/2944

Come on folks -there has to be a Caribou aircraft somewhere in Canada.

Yes I know there are existing aircract in Museum in Australia-
-on a pylon in Malaysia-
-in mueums and private ownership all over the US of A
etc
-lying in fields in Tanzania
but where oh where is there a DHC Caribou in Canada please

Saw this one at Pt Dickson in Malaysia
IMG_1535.jpg

A nice shot -thanks
and here is one in with Sultan of Oman
- but C A N A D A ??

From what I have read on line, Canada did not save any of the aircraft for display  or  anything else.

The Royal Canadian Air Force acquired nine Caribou transport Aircraft in 1960. This Aircraft's primary role was transport flying, and it saw action overseas in many United Nations (UN) missions. One Aircraft was destroyed during a UN mission in India when it was strafed on the ground by a Pakistani Air Force fighter.
The aircraft were retired after 1971. No website found as to what  happened to them after retirement

FormerHorseGuard said:
. . .  No website found as to what  happened to them after retirement

You might find some info here http://www.dhc4and5.org/CV2.html

Thank you Blackadder with reference to web page http://www.dhc4and5.org/CV2.html-alas has not been updated since 2005 
and as for you Former HorseGuard   I suspect you are right about none kept in Canada

Do check out
www.115ATU.org
&
www.archive.org/details/Unef1-Rcaf115AtuCaribouPictures

As for what happened to  I know three were returned to Canada from El Arish UNEF 1
and
as mentioned
one was destroyed in UNMGIP India  and of the nine I have accounted for five-  the rest..well .who knows ..but it would appear none of the 9 are in Canada

ps

Five were given by Cdn military shortly thereafter to Tanzania ( where you can see it has been newly restored :>)

JW9011 DE HAVILLAND CANADA DHC-4 CARIBOU                  ex RCAF 5303 1
JW9012 DE HAVILLAND CANADA DHC-4 CARIBOU                  ex RCAF 5320 9
JW9013 DE HAVILLAND CANADA DHC-4 CARIBOU                  ex RCAF 5321 10
JW9014 DE HAVILLAND CANADA DHC-4 CARIBOU                  ex RCAF5322 11
JW9015 DE HAVILLAND CANADA DHC-4 CARIBOU                  ex RCAF5323 12A

Again thanks for the help both of you

I believe you are talking about the DHC Buffalo - to commemorate Canaian UN 116 ATU shot down in Syria which was restored and is now in "perfect restored - not yet flyable -  but an excellent restoration- I was on the Committee.
Alas
not a Caribou
- still looking -
in Canada

check out
www.115ATU.ca

Gord

gordjenkins said:
"perfect restored - not yet flyable -  but an excellent restoration-

Is there an intent to get her flying?

When I was there in July, I got the impression that it would be impossible to make her fly-able again.

I could be incorrect.

NS

No.
There is structural corrosion in the airframe.

Ah, ok, that's what it was.  I wasn't positive (we were kind of rushed on our visit.)

Thanks!

NS

Bit of a Necro thread, but thought this video would be of interest. Now can we write it into the statement of requirements for the new SAR aircraft?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjV7DQqoBA&feature=related

G'day

All of the remaining 'Boos' were taken off strength with the Canadian Forces in June 1971 and subsequently transferred to the Tanzanian Air Force.

CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1A s/n 5303 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9011
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1A s/n 5320 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9012
Note: After a Cat 'B' accident with No. 117 Air Transport Unit during U.N. Duty, the nose of Caribou 5324 was grafted on.
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1A s/n 5321 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9013
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1A s/n 5322 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9014
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1A s/n 5323 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9015
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1B s/n 5324 – No. 117 Air Transport Unit was assigned to U. N. duties  The aircraft was strafed by a Pakistani F-86 Sabre on the 7th of September 1965.  The aircraft was written off ten days later.  See Caribou 5320
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1B s/n 5325to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9006
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1B s/n 5326 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9007
CC-108 Caribou Mk. 1B s/n 5327 to Tanzanian Air Force and re-serialed as JW9005

Cheers...Chris

Back