• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Derailed BMQ July 16, 2007 Roll Call....(SPLIT)

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
OK

All of you......SPELL CHECK is your friend........especially if English is your second language.

sorry it doesn't load fast enough, I'm being lazy till i leave

i didn't finish highschool

my mom says I'm smart

what other excuses can i come up with....

note i spell checked this one

George Wallace said:
OK

All of you......SPELL CHECK is your friend........especially if English is your second language.

iz sp3lls chehk?

Haha. I couldn't agree with you more. I've skimmed the past 5 posts mainly because there is a lack of periods, commas, grammar and spelling. One that bugged me was someone had spelled offence as "affence"... Sound out the words my little chikadees. If you don't know how to spellcheck, simply enter a word in a search engince such as google. If the search gives results with a different spelling, simply copy & paste.

badabing badaboom you've got yourself a post that can be read!

It's a severe annoyance having to carefully read a post... more than once, too! :p

It's all worth it in the long run to actually put some effort in making a post with fairly decent grammar so that others can enjoy it.

I mean.. people do want their posts to be read, yes?

Do you actually need to reread these posts? They're easy enough for me to understand.

WinterJet said:
Do you actually need to reread these posts? They're easy enough for me to understand.

I had to go over a couple of the posts just to clarify in my mind exactly what was being said or asked.  Why?  Lack of punctuation turning a paragraph into one big run-on sentence is just not on.

As Brett suggested in his hint to them below,  they should give a damn about how they write.  Not doing so most certainly does lead to their posts being skimmed over or ignored.  Not necessarily a good thing if they want something answered.

Quite simply, if they don't want to put an effort into posting their question, why would I put any effort into reading or answering it?  I speak not of mere mere typos here, but rather of the complete lack of punctuation, capitals, and grammar etc.

I mean no disrespect to you or anything but these posts are not at all difficult to read or understand. If you don't want to reply to someone because they use incorrect grammar or punctuation or whatever that's your prerogative, but considering the raison d'etre of this forum is to answer people's questions in regards to the recruiting process I think it would make ense to reply regardless of their literary shortcomings.

WinterJet said:
I mean no disrespect to you or anything but these posts are not at all difficult to read or understand. If you don't want to reply to someone because they use incorrect grammar or punctuation or whatever that's your prerogative, but considering the raison d'etre of this forum is to answer people's questions in regards to the recruiting process I think it would make ense to reply regardless of their literary shortcomings.

I'm sure one of the admins will cease you here, and direct you to the many FAQ's about language, grammar, and sentence structure.

we're not asking you to have zero grammatical errors, but please, for the sake of the community here, try to use spell check and actually try to make your posts have some sense. We want to be able to read what you have to say, but it's not enjoyable and it loses meaning when you can hardly touch on what the person is trying to say.

There are many reasons why.    Do YOU Wonder why we have 117 Plus Pages Here ?

We have had many topics on the matter, and why it is important for us as former, present, and future members of the CF to present ourselves as "Professionals". 

Some of the topics are found below:

Grammar and Sentence Structures.

Grammar Peeves.

How Trolls feel about Grammar and Sentence Structures.

Maturity.

Miss Spelling.

Spelling and Grammar - Read FIRST.

I am sure that there are many other reasons why good sentence structure as well as Spelling and Grammar are helpful in communicating and SEARCHING on this site.  There were over 25 pages when I did a search on "grammar".  What would I have found on using any of the other Key Words? 

How you post is a reflection on you, your schooling, and your future.  Think about it.

Brett said:
I'm sure one of the admins will cease you here, and direct you to the many FAQ's about language, grammar, and sentence structure.

I rest my case.

Very good George. Thanks!  ;)

Brett said:
I rest my case.

Very good George. Thanks!  ;)

Maybe you should take George's advice and check your posts for proper use of capital letters, sentence structure, paragraph structure etc.

fbr2o75 said:
Maybe you should take George's advice and check your posts for proper use of capital letters, sentence structure, paragraph structure etc.

Don't turn this into an argument, it was never intended to be put out that way. I had forgotten the comma, instead I had used a period. You're right about that one. However, it doesn't need to go down to every minuscule detail. I'm sure the odd typo, or even the odd misplacement of grammar is acceptable as long as it is within reason and is still presented professionally.

Brett said:
Don't turn this into an argument, it was never intended to be put out that way. I had forgotten the comma, instead I had used a period. You're right about that one. However, it doesn't need to go down to every minuscule detail. I'm sure the odd typo, or even the odd misplacement of grammar is acceptable as long as it is within reason and is still presented professionally.

Absolutely correct.  We do not expect every member's posts to be perfect but, we do expect them to put some effort into them, as do the overwhelming majority of the members on this forum. As does, incidently, the site owner.

fbr2o75 and WinterJet, the above was already explained in my post here prior to George having to come in and provide the links. If a member is good enough to point something out to you before a mod has to come in and say something...take the hint and get over it.

Get it back on topic. Put some effort into the posts, and there won't be a problem.

The Librarian
Milnet.ca Staff

The Librarian said:
Absolutely correct.  We do not expect every member's posts to be perfect but, we do expect them to put some effort into them, as do the overwhelming majority of the members on this forum. As does, incidently, the site owner.

fbr2o75 and WinterJet, the above was already explained in my post here prior to George having to come in and provide the links. If a member is good enough to point something out to you before a mod has to come in and say something...take the hint and get over it.

Get it back on topic. Put some effort into the posts, and there won't be a problem.

The Librarian
Milnet.ca Staff
I really don't think this site needs to be an English teacher. People come on here for information and when they're bitched at by five different people about using informal language or spelling on an internet forum it tends to discourage them from posting the questions they may need answered. What I am trying to say I guess is that some people here need to focus more on providing information, and less on calling people out for cutting corners on an internet messageboard.

I don't want to derail things further though, I just wanted to get my piece in there.

Too easy.

If you don't want cooperate and make the site a useful place to find information.  We just remove your useless, unsearchable posts.

If you want to cause trouble and be a Troll, we just BAN you.

Your choice.

Play by the rules or leave.

As I said earlier, what you post is a reflection of who you are.

If you want to post like an idiot or Troll, you will be treated as one.

WinterJet said:
I really don't think this site needs to be an English teacher. People come on here for information and when they're bitched at by five different people about using informal language or spelling on an internet forum it tends to discourage them from posting the questions they may need answered. What I am trying to say I guess is that some people here need to focus more on providing information, and less on calling people out for cutting corners on an internet messageboard.

I don't want to derail things further though, I just wanted to get my piece in there.

And to add to what George has just said,

One regular forum member gave him a very nice and polite hint, which he then chose NOT to take. A mod (myself) then stepped in to let him (and you) know why he should take that hint.

Then he and you chose to ramble on about how we are bitching instead of providing the information that we should. We did provide the information, nicely at first. Pointing out the standards expected of this site is, indeed, providing information that will enable one to enjoy and be successful on this forum.

But after incessant whining about how we shouldn't reflect, expect, or enforce the professional standards associated with this site, to which you and he agreed to upon joining it's membership, you have chosen yet again to try to justify the obvious lack of even an attempt at spellcheck or grammar by this member by putting the blame for that shortfall on us. You then continued on to slap each other on the back with posts in your efforts to one-up other members in your feeble and lame attempts to justify that non-professionalism.

As I've stated before, just take the hint and get over it. Your continuing attempts to "just get your piece in there" only serve to further erode ones opinion of you.

Back