• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO - Pilot - Questions

Bernardjmarx

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone else currently waiting for DEO Pilot positions to open up?  Currently only "skilled" candidate positions are open (former military pilots).  Anyways, here is the timeline of my application.

August 2010 - Initial application submitted including 60E long form security background (I worked overseas fo 3 years).
January 2011 - Target interview, CFAT completed (normal "any position open to you" result)
May 2011 - Security "11 liner" completed: no 1.5 year long security check required
July 2011 - Contacted National Recruiting Centre in North Bay, told that positions usually open up when a training session is approaching i.e. pilot potentially opening around December for new year basic officer training.

Currently 1 year of waiting, but given the 60E, I've been told this isn't that long to have been waiting.  Anyone else currently in the same situation?

Hey man, you can say I'm in a similar situation as yourself. My first application was November 2009, went to ASC a bit over a year ago. Was unsuccessful, went ahead and earned my ppl this past year, now simply wanting to redo that ASC and get a position. Hopefully spots will open up before April 2012. The recruiter told you spots usually open up in December..? In my mind it would be no earlier than April, hopefully I'm wrong.

Not exactly, he said that they begin accepting applications in advance of potential training periods, i.e in advance of the winter basic. For air crew selection, did you have any aviation experience going the first time?  Also, did you do your PPL privately?  I'm considering doing a multi IFR in cornwall to potentially log some hours.

I originally applied in 2008 at the Saskatoon RC, did CFAT, interview & medical, but my uncorrected vision wasn't good enough so my file got closed.  I had laser eye surgery done in Dec 2009 then I re-applied at the Edmonton RC in April 2010 and re-did interview and medical in June.  I was told I was put on a waiting list to go to ASC but it seems that RC just sat on my file and nothing happened, despite me staying in touch with them regularly.  I moved back to Saskatoon in March 2011 and had my file transferred back to Saskatoon RC.  They immediately tried to schedule me for ASC but since they weren't hiring DEO pilots at this time, my file got closed again.  Now I wait for April 2012, when hopefully some spots open up and I can go to ASC.

Since 2009?  That's significantly longer than my case.  I also had to get LASEK done, but I didn't apply until it was finished.  Did you complete the air crew selection but were barred from proceeding because of your vision, or did your vision immediately disqualify you?

Well since 2008 actually, but after my file was closed the first time I thought that was my one and only chance.  Back then I didn't get to go to aircrew because of my eyes...I basically got ruled out at the local medical stage.  But alas, I have hope again and will wait however long I have to to get a chance to go to aircrew.  I have my ppl as well, so hopefully if I get to aircrew I pass because I don't think I could afford to upgrade to a commercial license to get another shot!

Yeah, I've heard something about that, i.e. if you fail air crew with a license of some kind then you need to upgrade to the next license?  Do you know if that is actually the case?

I don't know that officially, but many people on here have said that, and I also talked with a girl who failed aircrew and that's what they told her.

To answer your question bernardjmarx, I only had a few hours of flying before I attended asc. If I would have known what I know now as far as instruments go, and more flight experience in general (60 hours), I am highly confident I would have passed. Second time around should do the trick ;)

By the way, your recruiter told you it would be possible to attend ASC before April, or did he just say you can apply..? Which recruiting center are you dealing with?

Snyper

Bernardjmarx said:
Yeah, I've heard something about that, i.e. if you fail air crew with a license of some kind then you need to upgrade to the next license?  Do you know if that is actually the case?

Yes it is, and it's important to know that night, IFR, multiengine and instructor ratings do not count as an upgrade as far as the CFASC is concerned. They want you to get the next license: PPL, CPL and ATPL.

Thought I would start a post for DEO pilots that were merit listed for today's selection date to share their results. 

In my case, I haven't heard anything yet regarding hiring, but I was merit listed yesterday. 

Good luck to everyone.

I was merit listed sometime last week and am eagerly awaiting news from my file manager. I was told yesterday that he expects offers to start going out to those selected either today or tomorrow, which is much sooner than I was expecting -- I thought we'd be in for a bit of a wait.

Good luck!

RC, when did you complete your Selection Course (and DRDC tests)?

Hi, PWN -- I was in Trenton for Aircrew Selection on June 25. The medical at DRDC was done on Thursday of that week.

Thanks RC. Sounds like a month is about standard.

Congratulations! Anyone else out there get a call yet? I'm still holding my breath... :-X

I am also waiting.

Although I am trying to CT from the reserves and my broker dosent like returning emails.( I know she is busy)  But that means I didnt even know there was a selection, and I still dont know if my air factor has been granted so I may not have even been merrit listed. :(

Hopefully I hear something either way soon.

Cpl Waiting

Back