• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO 2013 financial year

LogOHopeful444 said:
It seems kind of scummy to accept long term employment somewhere when you already know that you want to bolt from the door at your first chance.

I have a similar dilemma. I hold a professional designation, and that means I can't disappear in the middle of a project that I am managing in order to pursue other employment and still maintain my integrity. I was raised to finish what I started.

As of now (mid January), the earliest anyone can reasonably expect to "start" their job through the DEO stream is April because of the timing of BMOQ. You can expect 4 weeks of delay between each point of contact (your mileage may vary). This means that you're likely to miss critical cut-off points that could delay your start time by 4-6 months. Even worse, you will miss selection dates and competitions for limited spaces in in-demand trades that may close up in the next quarter and leave you high and dry with no prospect in that trade for the next two years. You're left with entering a trade that you aren't interested in (how many of you have served with officers that don't want to be there? how good are they at their job?), or pursuing a career as an NCM (which might be more fun, after all).

I've been lurking on this forum for months and a lot of people respond to concerns about the recruitment process with something along the lines of, "Well if its what you want you'll stick with it," or the ever witty, "I think you've just made your decision clear." It's a good way to filter people, but I think keeping interested recruits floating in limbo for (potentially) years, then penalizing them if they don't drop everything immediately when they get the call, is not an efficient way to attract and retain talent. In a best case scenario, I will have been fighting ;) to get into the forces for 10 months. I am hungry for it, and I will do it, but I also have a wife and two kids. All I can tell them is "eventually" I will get in, but that could be this year, next year, never? In the mean time, I will take another professional position and that means I will be investing my time and energy into something that is not the military and may be difficult to disengage from on short notice.

It would be beneficial to have BMQ/BMOQ training periods, selection dates, cutoff dates, etc. given to all seriously interested recruits so they can effectively plan for the near-term future. Is this information really critical to Operational Security?

Square Feather said:
It would be beneficial to have BMQ/BMOQ training periods, selection dates, cutoff dates, etc. given to all seriously interested recruits so they can effectively plan for the near-term future. Is this information really critical to Operational Security?

The only problem with providing specific dates, is that it ends up creating unmanageable "expectations" for applicants and when those expectations aren't met, then people tend to become upset with the entire process.

Back