• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

So..... yup well, thought I was going to say something but really cannot compete with Piper's prose... all I can say is wow is it fun to see how conversation switches track.  Reserve, Regular who cares to put on a uniform and knowingly go out into danger to me is a hero.  Same goes for the police, firefighters etc.  Anyway, enough on that track!
;D

Piper I was in the platoon that did the handover to you guys in Afghanistan, your story hits home for me in many ways. I remember hearing about that incident and feeling very relieved to have made it out unscathed , then followed by an intense feeling of guilt. I had a major case of surviver guilt which I carry still. The men we lost weighs on me now , "why them and not me" rattles me still, in time I think I'll come to terms.

I left the battalion and wouldn't wish my experience on anyone, although it changed me irrevocably, in some ways for the better. Although I am much happier out of the Infantry , not a day goes by I don't think of the men and women (Capt Goddard) we lost during that tour. To all who continue to serve or wish to deploy , good luck and be careful what you wish for.   

I didn't really want to revive this old thread and pour more crap on the heap, but I've been thinking about this all week and I just wanted to get it all down... and after reading BulletMagnets write up yesterday, I couldn't think of much else.

Two years and one day ago, the soldiers of Charles Company, 1 RCR began the ground offensive in Panjwayi for Op Medusa...  We will take this as read, since we all know the details.  That day, we, as a Forces, lost four brothers.

Two years ago today, the same soldiers who fought into Pashmul were hit again by friendly fire...  and we lost another brother in arms. 
As well, 38 of us were wounded and 6 (including myself) were sent to Germany.  Again, we all know the story...

Since then, I haven't had a single day were I didn't think, even for a brief moment, about those Brothers in arms lost to the mission.  There hasn't even been a day when I haven't thought about all my brothers who were wounded, or even just about the soldiers I worked with, who are all scattered across the forces, both regular and reserve.
And when we lose another 3 on the anniversary, I can't help but think of the soldiers over there, and the next group to take their place.

It has been two years... So much has changed in my life because of what happened over there;
The Military has seen fit to send me to college while still on Class C (class B in Feb/Mar) and I have been employed by the forces since I got home, which allowed me to buy my first house and get married..  But with the good comes the bad;  I still can't run, I still have pain and physical problems from the shrapnel I still carry in my Kidneys. I'm still on limited duties and my military career has pretty much stalled out...  But, I'm alive.

Some days, the good out weighs the bad.  Especially when I think about my future with the education opportunity the military has provided... but, that is always overshadowed by the loss and injury of friends it took to get these opportunities.
I have no idea what my fate would have been if I came home from tour without injury; I probably would have just gone back to the job I did before tour (machining), which I can't do now.  Perhaps I would have taken the fast CT to 3 RCR and be off on another tour.  Who knows, I probably would have even taken PLQ and have a leaf by now...  But, that's not the case.  I am where I am because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyway, I'm not going to turn this into a long, boring diatribe... I'm too tired and sore...  All I wanted to get across was; I miss the boys... I miss the life.... I miss being over there.  I hope everyone there comes home safe, and for those who came home less than safe, I hope you get the help and support you need.  And for the Friends and Family of the fallen; I will never forget them, or what they did.  Take care of yourselves and rely on your military family.

Pro Patria

Piper...

God bless & take care of yourself (+ with 9D)

CHIMO!

geo said:
Piper...

God bless & take care of yourself (+ with 9D)

CHIMO!

I second that (didn't want to say +1)
Piper, your courage and steadfastness are an inspiration for us all.

Thanks for sharing that, Piper - anniversaries do cause stuff to bubble up...

I hope this helps you deal with being a very different person (body & soul) than you were before you left. 

We grieve the loss of the "Old Piper" with you, and hope life treats you and your loved ones well.

Take care.

I really have no words worth posting here but felt the need to say...thanks.  For your service;before and after your time in the sandbox.  Thanks for your ability to put things into writing, in a way that is honest and to the point.

I am glad to hear of your educational future, whatever it may be; of the life you and your wife have been able to carry on with, and the home you have made for yourselves.

I look forward to more of your posts, and hope each 'tomorrow' is one that holds something that is meaningful to you.

:salute:

EITS

Piper

Your words have affected me in ways that are so deep its amazing.  The gratitude I feel towards your sacrifce is shamefully inadquate and there are no words for it.  Thank you Piper, i owe you and others like you my very freedom as well as the freedom of my children and theirs to come.  I wish you all the best in which ever path you choose to walk on, and I want you to know you have made me realize how important it is for me to fully support my husnband with his chosen path as well.

thank you, you'll be in my prayers :salute:

Piper,

First allow me to say Congrats on the wedding, the new home, new career! and allow me to Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the words you have shared with us all. Thank you for your service. Thank you for your example.
I patiently sit here awaiting the "love of my life" to return safely. He was home on HLTA and he has changed ... I saw his need to return to be with his brothers... when I took him to the airport there were a few of them there and you could see in his eyes how he felt reassured or something.. He has been away for 7 months and 3 more to go. Every word you wrote made sense. I understand better... All I can say to you is Thank you, and Thank your wife ..give her a kiss and hug after reading this please just know she hurts inside for you and your losses also... We support, we love, and we are always here for you we are the Loves that waited for your safe return! God Bless you Piper and your family!
Cheers
:cheers: :salute:

PS please keep us updated! ;)

Amen Sister
It's very difficult for those of us that are left behind.  PM inbound

Hi Piper,

I'm a broadcast student doing a radio documentary about Aghanistan.  Would you be willing to do a short phone interview about your experience ? 

Hey Piper

If it means anything I think you should do the interview!!!!!
Just my thoughts...
Cheers :salute:

uer said:
Hi Piper,

I'm a broadcast student doing a radio documentary about Aghanistan.  Would you be willing to do a short phone interview about your experience ? 

I have no problem doing an interview, but I need some info and I need to pass it up my chain of command (standard policy)... send me a PM with all the details.

I'm sorry if I take a while to respond; I'm currently in the Dominican (vacation).

BTW:  I just noticed this emoticon  :piper:  cool.  :salute:

Piper :piper:

We just got back from the DR... have fun.... and BTW they can make it faster then you can drink it ..LOL but have fun trying......where in the DR? are you enjoying it?

RHFC_piper said:
I'm sorry if I take a while to respond; I'm currently in the Dominican (vacation).

Then get off the computer you geek.............

uer said:
Hi Piper,

I think you might find your answer somewhere in this post.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/79232/post-814004/topicseen.html#new

lovinmysapper said:
Piper :piper:

We just got back from the DR... have fun.... and BTW they can make it faster then you can drink it ..LOL but have fun trying......where in the DR? are you enjoying it?

We're actually just on our way back (leaving the resort in 30 min). 
As for the drinks; I hear ya... before I can even finish "Dos Bahama Mamas, por favor" there are 2 drinks in front of me and 2 more being made...  Lets just say, they're sorry it's all inclusive.  I'm a big lad, and I can put the food and drink away at a heroic rate.

As for where we are;  Royal Catalonia Bavaro, Punta Cana, DR.  It's beautiful... and hot...  We're having a great time.
Needless to say, we're enjoying it a lot.  We've snorkeled, went SCUBA diving (a first for us) and even swam with the Dolphins... even picked up a little Spanish.  We're coming back well tanned and relaxed.

n510832331_1364972_7125.jpg

Good times.

The only down side was; our waterproof digital camera (Pentax Optio WPI) died on day 2... It survived Afghanistan, St; Lucia (wedding) and trips here and there, so it's had a good run... we ended up buying a crappy 35mm underwater camera, used it for our SCUBA excursion, and now have 3 rolls of film to develop.  As lame as it sounds, we had to read the instructions to figure out how to change the film... seriously.

Anyway, we've enjoyed our visit, but we're ready to come home.  ;D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Then get off the computer you geek.............

Yeah, yeah... I went 5 days without computer... I started suffering from withdrawal... getting all twitchy.
The internet connection is like the hot water here, rare and intermittent... so I had to get on when I could.

Besides, as morbid or odd as it sounds, I had to keep tabs on what's going on in the sand box... there are still troops from my unit over there, as well as buddies from my tour.  I didn't want to come home to 'surprises'.

Anyway... I'm glad to hear nothing. 

Sounds like you had a great vacation!  Wish I could get away from the snow and cold.... :'(

OLA Piper
Sounds awesome you both look sooo happy good on ya!!!! well drink away the flight is long home LOL.. the airport is so cool in Puta Cana eh? well good to hear your both chilling out! we went to Puerto Plata for HLTA it was great relaxed the whole time...
Safe flight home!!!
Cheers Yummy Bahama Mamas....

lovinmysapper said:
OLA Piper
Sounds awesome you both look sooo happy good on ya!!!! well drink away the flight is long home LOL.. the airport is so cool in Puta Cana eh? well good to hear your both chilling out! we went to Puerto Plata for HLTA it was great relaxed the whole time...
Safe flight home!!!
Cheers Yummy Bahama Mamas....

Hola!

The flight to Toronto only takes about 3.5 h, and since I get motion sickness, I tend to pound the Gravol and sleep... that is my default setting for motion sickness; sleep.  That's how I spent a lot of patrols in the back of the LAV... passed out.

The airport is cool... I'm actually getting a wireless signal (I'm posting from PUJ Punta Cana Airport ;D).

My original plan for HLTA involved Punta Cana...  The gunner from my LAV got married just before we deployed, and his wife wasn't on the HLTA list when we got over so he planned to go home for HLTA then head for Punta Cana... So I figured the wife and I would do the same thing... but, alas, neither of us made it to HLTA before being sent home... Germany doesn't count as HLTA... Although, I did get black forest cake and beer on by birthday in Germany.

PMedMoe said:
Sounds like you had a great vacation!  Wish I could get away from the snow and cold.... :'(

Yeah... it's been great.  And even though it's going to be cold when we get home, I'll be happy to get there.

Back