• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Hi Piper,

I was very impressed with your post. Your writing has affected a lot of people and should reach as wide an audience as possible.

When I was handed the casualty list (and what a list that was...) and saw your name on it - with no indication as to your condition - my heart sank. It was one of my worst fears coming to pass, and an event I dreaded every day since I arrived in theatre. Coming to Kandahar, I was not worried about the rocket attacks. I was worried that I someone I knew would be hurt or killed.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see you in the hospital here at KAF on that fateful day. I really wasn't sure what I was going to see when I arrived. Seeing you awake (albeit a little doped up) was an incredible relief. Once we started joking and I saw you smiling I knew you were going to be just fine. You showed a strength of character in the hospital that day and throughout your recovery that I find inspiring. I am very proud to call you a friend and look forward to seeing you when I return to Canada.

You've done your part here in Afghanistan. I'm sure your buddies here would agree.

The big pitcher of beer is on me next time.

-J

Piper, thank you for your sacrifice. I hope you are recovering quickly. My thoughts and prayers to the men in the women in the field making the world a better place. Welcome home!
Thank you
Kris

Thank you Piper. You have incredible bravery, and I want to thank you for it. Thank you isn't quite the phrase, there is something deeper than that. I can't quite put it into words. You've been a part of something that we shall overcome one day as a people. Because of someone like you many lives are able to be.

Piper, I have always said, "those guys love what they do, they know where they're going, and that is where they want to be".  I comenence you on your bravery and your strong journey.  May you get well to join your boys.  Noone like myself will ever know what it is like to be there, but I would like to say thank you for your bravery, thank you for wanting to protect your fellow Canadians!!!  You are truly a CANADIAN HERO :cdn: :salute:

Long Sword said:
I never would have head this from the news.

You have also given me, a civilian, great insight into how the members of our military think. You will be an example if I enlist.

All the best in your recovery.

Took the words right out of my mouth

piper, i hope you see how many hearts you've touched...how many eyes you've opened by your post...rememberance day brought somuch more this year then it ever has, i live near Truro N.S where we have been touched greatly by the deaths in afghanistan...and everytime i think or hear of a death, i think of you, and this post. I gave a copy of this post to a good freidn fo mine who served in the Korean war...the story brought tears to his eyes....no-one could ever thank you enough piper..

http://media.putfile.com/A-Tribute-For-Our-Fallen-Soldiers

a great video tribute to our soldiers fallen and serving...

Piper has been reprinted in The London Honda Newsletter here:

http://www.imakenews.com/londonhonda/e_article000689503.cfm?x=b8qpFqf,b4TPy3Df

...and been invited to the local country radio stations " megaprize" party tonight.........well forget lad,  the $ 10,000 megaprize is all mine.

http://www.kicx106.com/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=megaprize

Michael O'Leary said:

I find it funny that everyone (with the exception of only a few) who have reposted this has included my message to the Mods of these forums, which makes no sence unless it's reposted on another forums. 

I've had a lot of questions about who the 'Mods' are, as well as what (HoM) is... oh well...

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...and been invited to the local country radio stations " megaprize" party tonight.........well forget lad,  the $ 10,000 megaprize is all mine.

http://www.kicx106.com/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=megaprize

Well... I'm going to stay as low profile as I can with this one... It's a 'support the troops' ralley as well, so I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures.

Michael O'Leary said:

No link, but it was also in the Fredericton Gleaner on 10 Nov. Included the last sentence about being a rant. Cut and Paste.

Drummy

RHFC_piper said:
Well... I'm going to stay as low profile as I can with this one... It's a 'support the troops' ralley as well, so I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures.

Well since the kids decided to play 'yoyo without the string' with my camera and I don't have the cash for a new one right now, I will be hitting the Kicx folks for pictures of the Guelph party.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Well since the kids decided to play 'yoyo without the string' with my camera and I don't have the cash for a new one right now, I will be hitting the Kicx folks for pictures of the Guelph party.

I'm sure they'll be posting them on their site. I'm also sure they'd be more than happy to share them

Either way, one of us will have to start a post about the big show... I guess it'll come down to who gets home first and who is the most sober  ;) ;D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...and of course my red is the army.ca shirt. ;D

Same here.  :army: :salute:

I won a 5-disc cd/dvd player........and got the e-mail of the guy taking pictures for the station, so all in all, a good night in Guelph.

...oh yea, and ran into just plain 'Piper'.

Piper - Good to see you on Canada AM this morning.  Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!    :salute:

Hunter said:
Piper - Good to see you on Canada AM this morning.  Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!    :salute:

I thought it was going to be a local story only... and I missed it... I don't sleep at night, so I tend to sleep in a lot.

It was a worth while cause; messages to the troops.

i know this topic has not been posted in for awhile, but is there any update on how you are doing recovery wise?
i was pretty moved by the post you left RHFC_piper just want to know how your doing

thanks for your contributions to this country, its greatly appreciated.

:salute:

mckee19 said:
i know this topic has not been posted in for awhile, but is there any update on how you are doing recovery wise?

It's a long road.

For a quick sum up;
I'm on a temporary Medical Category and am currently restricted to 'no work', since sitting, standing, laying moving for extended periods hurts. My contract with 1 RCR ended in January, and now (after some complications) I'm on a contract with LFCA...  or 31 CBG... or some one...

Physiotherapy is going pretty well. I'm progressing fairly quickly. I should be able to run/jog short distances in a month or so... walking hurts now, but its getting better every day.  Within the next few weeks I'll be reducing the frequency of Physio (from 3X per week to 2X) and I will be going to a public gym every other day.

I haven't been back to OSISS (the head shrinkers) in a month or so... Things have kind of been up in the air with them, probably since all the other guys are back, and they have 6 months of issues...  I still have my own demons; Bad dreams, day dreams, and I just get angry and depressed a lot, but I'm able to deal with it for the most part.

As for going back; Not likely... not any time soon anyway.  By the time I DAG 'Green' (fit to go) again, the tour will be deploying, and now that I'm back to my home unit again, I'd have to go through the same fight I went through the last time I went, and the chances of getting the same kind of placement would be pretty slim... just getting the clearance to go again, from my home unit, would be a slim chance.  Then theres my family and soon-to-be wife (April 24th);  After what happened, they would be pretty far from cool with me going back.

I still want to go back...  I thought this feeling would change when my platoon (and company) got back, but it's only gotten worse. 
And as for the boys;  I was hoping to see them at the air port when they came in, but thanks to the gas shortage, Class C contract issues (which created money issues), my truck breaking down, and some personal medical issues, I couldn't make it when they arrived in Trenton...  I feel like I've let them down twice.
I've only talked to one person in my section (by e-mail) since they've been home...  I miss them, but I feel like I'm not really one of them any more.  I don't feel right contacting them as I don't think I can relate anymore... they've been through so much more.  Besides, I think they'll all need time to get back to normal, and the last thing they need is some toon who bailed out after a few weeks hanging around talking like he was really there.

There's supposed to be a medals parade and memorial in Petawawa at the end of April, but I'll be in St. Lucia getting married, so I'll be letting them down again.
I guess I'll get whatever medals I'm entitled to when I get back.  They can just mail them to me, it doesn't matter.

Anyway.. this quick sum up turned into a novel yet again...
Things are going well enough for now.  I don't know what the future holds and I've stopped trying to plan.

It's really not all as bad as it sounds... I'm still alive... and I have all my bits and pieces (except maybe some chunks of meat), but I'll be good to go in time.

Sorry for writing a novel.

Cheers :cheers:

First of all Never say you’re “letting them down” because you’ll be getting married instead of on parade. It’s no such thing, just unfortunate that the timings didn’t work out.

Talk to you CoC, perhaps they can arrange for you to receive your medals prior to the wedding.

As for writing a novel, again don’t apologize. It’s one of the reasons this board exists. To help each other out. If keeping us updated helps and you can take the time to do so, do it. It also may help other’s in the future.

Congrats by the way on the wedding. That as any of us who’ve gone down that aisle will tell you is your priority now. The Regiment, the job and other tours will be there for you….when you’re ready. For now enjoy St Lucia, you’ve earned it.

BTW when’s the bachelor party and we’re all invited right?
8)

Back