• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dead soldier's dad seeks answers

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Dead soldier's dad seeks answers
Told virtually nothing seven months after apparent accidental shooting
Mon Mar 12 2007 By Alison Auld
Article Link

HALIFAX -- The Winnipeg father of a Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan seven months ago in an apparent accidental shooting says the military has told the family virtually nothing about his death, leaving them frustrated and pleading with Defence officials for details.
Up until this past January, Ben Walsh knew only that his son, Master Cpl. Jeffrey Walsh, had been killed when a gun went off during a routine patrol somewhere outside Kandahar on Aug. 9.

The father of three young children was based at Canadian Forces Base Shilo near Brandon.

Walsh said he repeatedly asked military officials probing the case to answer questions that tormented the family in the weeks after they were told of the death.

In particular, Walsh wanted to know three things: if his son had been shot twice, as he had heard; whether he was in or outside the vehicle; and whether the shot came from outside his military jeep.

For each query, the military's National Investigation Service, which was looking into the incident, said they could not reveal any more information.   
"They have no concern about the families of fallen soldiers," Walsh said in an interview.

"They don't know how to deal with the families. It's terrible I have to bang on doors to get information, even (to) tell me that my son is dead. They should be treating families, especially grieving families, with a little bit of compassion and concern and they're not."
More on link

It's a small army. He should find a military message board and ask for anyone who knew his son to PM him.

Flawed Design said:
It's a small army. He should find a military message board and ask for anyone who knew his son to PM him.
Very true, could work, maby even someone on here knew his son...

Yea, it's possible to do this. But wouldn't they be playing with odds no matter which way they choose to find answers?

The family deserves an answer, NIS is dragging their feet on this. The details of what happened would only take about 48hrs. to collect. Its not as if they had to travel great distances to get statements.

The family has suffered enough.

Just Came Across This
News Release
Shilo Soldier Charged in Death of Master Corporal Jeffrey Walsh
CFNIS/SNEFC 2007-03 - March 12, 2007

CFB SHILO, MB - The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged a soldier stationed at Canadian Forces Base Shilo, today, in relation to the shooting death of Master Corporal (MCpl) Jeffrey Scott Walsh, in Afghanistan, on August 9, 2006.

MCpl Robbie Fraser, of the 2nd Battalion of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Regiment (PPCLI), was charged with one count of Manslaughter, contrary to Section 130 of the National Defence Act, pursuant to Section 236 of the Criminal Code, and one count of Negligent Performance of Duty, contrary to Section 124 of the National Defence Act.

The CFNIS is an independent Military Police unit with a mandate to investigate serious and sensitive matters in relation to National Defence property, DND employees and CF personnel serving in Canada and abroad.

- 30 -

With all seriousness of the matter in mind, one has to wonder the coincidence of both stories coming out in the same day.

This is a sad sad day for the Battalion.  I extend my deepest condolences to the Walsh family, and my thoughts and prayers are with you Robbie and your family during this very difficult time.

:'(

I will refrain from speculating that one press release resulted in the other....
The "news" is out, names have been specified & admin / disciplinary / criminal procedures will commence.

My condolences to Mcpl Walsh's family

Best wishes for fair treatment to Mcpl Fraser

My heart goes out to both families in this tragic event.

The biggest problems I find are when the rumour mills etc start to buzz. We lost a sailor in the Bahamas (drowning) a few months back and there were so many rumours swirling around base that eventually got back to the family that they started to get anxious about the real story. The family was invited to the BOI so that there was a lot of transparency and at the end of the BOI there was a great deal of closure for the family.
Greiving is extemely tough and greiving without a lot of information is even tougher...the mind jumps to conclusions and starts to play tricks. I hope this is all cleared up for them soon.
BTW I'd be careful about accusing people of foot dragging....there is a due process for the guy who is charged and the investigation had to be thorough and fair.

My condolences and that of my family goes out to the family of Master Corporal Jeffrey Walsh, now, he may finally rest in peace.  :salute:  :cdn:

M/Cpl. Walsh can rest in peace now that his family has closure. :cdn:

From CBC website
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/12/afghan-charges.html
Canadian soldier charged in comrade's shooting death
Last Updated: Monday, March 12, 2007 | 1:36 PM ET
CBC News

The military's National Investigation Service has charged a Canadian soldier with manslaughter in the shooting death of a fellow soldier in Afghanistan.

Master Cpl. Jeffrey Walsh was killed last Aug. 9 when a gun went off during a routine patrol outside Kandahar. The military has been tight-lipped about the circumstances surrounding Walsh's death, but described the incident at the time as an accidental shooting. 

Master Cpl. Jeffrey Scott Walsh was killed in Afghanistan last Aug. 9 when a gun went off during a routine patrol outside Kandahar.Master Cpl. Jeffrey Scott Walsh was killed in Afghanistan last Aug. 9 when a gun went off during a routine patrol outside Kandahar.
    (Department of National Defence)

The 33-year-old soldier with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry had been six days into his second tour in Afghanistan. His father, Ben Walsh, said his son was seated in a G-Wagon armoured vehicle when another soldier's gun went off.

Master Cpl. Robbie Fraser, also with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, was charged Monday with one count of manslaughter and one count of negligent performance of duty, the NIS said Monday in a release.

Fraser is now stationed at CFB Shilo in Manitoba, where both soldiers were based.

Walsh grew up in Regina and Avonlea, Sask., about 80 kilometres southwest of the city. He was survived by his wife and three young children.
Continue Article

Walsh's father, who had been lobbying defence officials for months for details of his son's death, told CBC News Monday the charges closed "another chapter in our book."

"It really doesn't matter what charge would be laid," Walsh said from his home in Regina. "It's certainly not going to bring back my son.

"I would say it's like if I hit you in the head and you fell and died. It would be a manslaughter charge. It's a bit severe, but ... I guess in this case, it may be necessary."

Walsh added he sympathized with Fraser and his heart went out to the soldier's family.

"He and his family … are grieving now and in very, very much pain."
Another shooting investigated

The charges suggest there was no intent but there was negligence concerning Fraser's alleged role in the shooting, the CBC's Carolyn Dunn reported.

The charges come as the military is probing another mysterious shooting that claimed the life of a soldier at Kandahar airfield last week.

Cpl. Kevin Megeney, 25, a reservist from Stellarton, N.S., died Tuesday evening. He was a member of the 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders. Megeney's family told CBC News he had been shot in the chest while in his tent.

The NIS is an independent military police unit with a mandate to investigate serious and sensitive matters in relation to national defence property, employees and Canadian Forces personnel serving in Canada and abroad.

Walsh's father also said he hoped to attend some of the court proceedings in Shilo.

"I just hope the young soldier has a good defence and is well represented," he said.

Back