• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

De Havilland Cannada announces new calgary manufacturing facility

Funny because the new water bomber was a redesign of a old airframe. Guess what done working on the assembly line as we speak.

As for the Buff. They already had plans to upsize the Buff style aircraft. They were hoping the Canadian Government would see the value in such a move. They had possible sales overseas But nothing concrete. At the time this was comming from a company based in Victoria.
Which the government had nointerest allowing the west any work from federal contracts.

Time will tell. They are not building this new facility to just build water bombers.
Viking Air has been a leader around the world for the small nimble aircraft rebuilds and modifications hat serves the rugged terrain around the world..
From what I am reading this new calgsry facility will have three production lines, which tells me they have plans to ramp up.

The buff will never go to production and they don't have the bench strength to design a new product. You underestimate the difficulty. I would direct you to read up on the aerospace industry. In the last 60 years only one country has been able to move in the aerospace top ranks. Brazil. Many have tried all have failed. A few have fallen like Canada. China is looking like it may.
pessimist. From the headlines on forest fires, there is a global shortage of water bombers and the skills to manufacture same. The CL products were globally well received but the marketing just wasn't there to sell them and then maintain them. Viking has a well-earned reputation for standing behind their products even when those products were produced in the 60's. They made the new DH6 a success and did so without any help of significance from OW.

The way I heard it, the order book for the 415 dried up (they were built in Quebec but 'finished' in North Bay). It seems everybody that needed one had one. With climate change, I can see an emerging market both of new customers and those who are flying theirs like rented mules.

The way I heard it, the order book for the 415 dried up (they were built in Quebec but 'finished' in North Bay). It seems everybody that needed one had one. With climate change, I can see an emerging market both of new customers and those who are flying theirs like rented mules.
Bombardier/ CL were looking for high value contracts. The water bomber was a sideline of theirs. They never really put much effort into it. More forced to produce.
We now have a company with the full rights that is eager to market, build and expand.
This will be a interesting change in the Canadian Aerospace Industry for years to come.

I think Viking will look at larger contracts and larger aircraft in the near future.

Bombardier/ CL were looking for high value contracts. The water bomber was a sideline of theirs. They never really put much effort into it. More forced to produce.
We now have a company with the full rights that is eager to market, build and expand.
This will be a interesting change in the Canadian Aerospace Industry for years to come.

I think Viking will look at larger contracts and larger aircraft in the near future.
yeah, learjets are far sexier than water trucks

How about more small aircraft that look more like UAVs with people on board? The self driving vehicle makes a lot more sense in the air than on the ground. The large aircraft makes sense on the hub and spoke system but it doesn't offer much in the way of flexibility.

An elevator operator rather than a pilot.

1663880081629.png

Makes sense. They came in the basket from Canadair. According to a guy I worked with for a while, the 415 was really pushed by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. The 215 was the only piston aircraft remaining in their fleet and they had long experience with DH turbines (I don't know if Ontario ever had any 215-Ts; I don't think so).

Design a seaplane with a rear or nose ramp loading system with range and capacity comparable to a Herc. Sell lots to USMC etc. Put this silly Herc on floats idea to bed.

If the 515 is going to be a Dehavilland Canada product then it will need a name other than "Firefighter".

DHC-9 Pine Beetle?

Beaver,Twotter,.....DHC-9 Cooter?

If the 515 is going to be a Dehavilland Canada product then it will need a name other than "Firefighter".

DHC-9 Pine Beetle?

Beaver,Twotter,.....DHC-9 Cooter?
They did get the "SuperScooper (TM)" when they purchased it. So they have that too as a option.

DHC - 10 Mountain Sheep......for the Shorts Sherpa they got too. :)

This has all the smell of SpecOps a near bottomless barrel of money and an childlike attitude of wouldn't it be neat if, fill in the blank.
And of course what could possibly go wrong.
And no, I didn't make a mistake in punctuation. That last line is a statement not a question.

This has all the smell of SpecOps a near bottomless barrel of money and an childlike attitude of wouldn't it be neat if, fill in the blank.
And of course what could possibly go wrong.
And no, I didn't make a mistake in punctuation. That last line is a statement not a question.
This is the thinking behind the c130 floats.

Give Amphibians a Second Look

This is the idea where this comes from

Back