• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

De Havilland Cannada announces new calgary manufacturing facility

Jumping back to the topic at hand, (as neat as the Mars is) what is DHC building in Calgary?

Recent looks at their social media indicates that they've got at least one CL-515 coming off the line, indicating some level of production capability ongoing on top of maintenance and parts manufacture.

Looking at their social media, they have sent reps to a number of different locations, including:
-IDEX 2023 in Abu Dhabi (Feb)
-MRO Middle East in Dubai (Mar)
-MRO Americas in Atlanta (Apr)
-Paris Air Show

Signed deals with Fokker and ATSA airlines for parts and cargo door conversion bits.

Seems like they are keeping busy, trying to flog their stuff, and I suspect that with the recent wild fires in NS and other parts of the nation, that the CL-515 will be a subject of considerable interest.

NS
Well what I take way from the things I have gotten. First order of business is support all the legacy programs they have acquired, DHC 1-8, Waterbombers, Shorts Sherpa Etc. The parts and service business is very good. Then sell new build production aircraft. DHC-6 Twin Otter, DHC-515. Then if they can get enough interest put the Dash-8 back into production. They have their hands full just getting the service parts supply chain and MRO business up and running before producing new built Dash-8's.

That said they have the right plan I think. They cut their teeth on the Twin Otter. Then started working an updated waterbomber. They have to get that in production. As they are doing that service the Dash-8, Q, customers get to know them etc. Then gauge customer need of a new build. The ATR is/was cheaper. Plus it all falls to US pilot union and airline negotiations. Where do the scope clause fall in the future? DHC did say something about looking to move back to a 50 seater from the 70/90 seaters that Bombardier was producing because of the scope clauses and now the future looks with regional jets etc etc.

FYI Embraer announced last week they are suspending work on a new turbo prop commuter plane.

Within the context of large waterbombers, is that significantly more limited than airfields that could host non-amphibious equivalents, stand fast the Hercules?
We have 12 air tanker bases (paved tarmac) that can be used for anything up to and including P-3/L-188 positioned around the province. There are many more airstrips that could be used if the retardant systems were in place especially for the smaller airframes...for example CFB Edmonton or Edmonton International or Red Deer airports. Some of these tanker bases are stand alone facilities and others are co-located on public airstrips with commercial air services.

The big difference is that the hard tarmac strips are more geo-graphically distributed than the lake systems are in Alberta. Again it's a question of matching utility tools vs. specialty tools. The CL-215/415 series and AT-802U's can be reloaded via hard tarmac if needed but if you only have lakes then it can be a different limitation.

My knowledge however drops off huge and I can't speak to what other provinces have/use as each has a slightly different arrangement.

Here is your start of the Turtle Island Environmental Forest Air Force Borne Healing Team TIEFAHT

ttps://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/national-approach-needed-in-canada-s-wildfire-fight-experts/vi-AA1caVkF?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=841ac9ef53374a91bab58d0605dc2977&ei=45

I could see it now. Get an fast moving RCAF type, an Industry Canada bureaucrat and Environment Canada DM you could get the whole put together. Added plus if someone has a friend in the Thomson Family. Get a bunch of pilots and tell the provs to transfer current assets to the TIEFAHT. Get Industry Canada to give DHC, CAE and Bombardier a few billion to develop the electric waterbomber......and Bob's your uncle.

45 LoT for the DHC-6 Twin Otter Classic 300-G

I'm not 100 percent that this is total new build or a zero timing of old Twin Otters. If so here's your CC-138 replacement. Just zero the old ones. Comes out of the MRO maintenance budget and then no need to have a capital replacement program! Works every time. IE see LAV-6 Upgrade for guidelines. MOST important save the vehicle/aircraft data plate!

I'm not 100 percent that this is total new build or a zero timing of old Twin Otters. If so here's your CC-138 replacement. Just zero the old ones. Comes out of the MRO maintenance budget and then no need to have a capital replacement program! Works every time. IE see LAV-6 Upgrade for guidelines. MOST important save the vehicle/aircraft data plate!
Well its being described as "[t]he fifth generation of the Twin Otter aircraft" that is lighter, has new engines, completely redesigned cabin interior and flight deck, more payload, etc.

Kind of sounds like a completely new aircraft to me.

Link

Well its being described as "[t]he fifth generation of the Twin Otter aircraft" that is lighter, has new engines, completely redesigned cabin interior and flight deck, more payload, etc.

Link

cf also C1/C3 Howitzers

In the late 1990s, ninety-six C1 guns were selected and sent to RDM in the Netherlands to extend their service life. These guns were re-designated as the C3

WRT the DHC 6 Twin Otter: Can a DHC 5 Buffalo be far behind?

Replace the Kingfishers with new Buffalos?

Link
I read as much too. But then in comments on some boards it sounded as a zero hour refresh and update.

Plus the name Classic 300 G. The series 400 is the Viking DHC new build. What is the difference?

But then with these guys marketing doesnt seem to be a strong suit. Their websites are all over the map. Still have the Viking site and the DHC new site. All of them poorly done. They don't give much info.

Press releases were vague. Plus the release said 80 new jobs....that not a production program. That's repair,clean up and install new engines and avionics. But is plus the 400 series workers two. But I had read that they were out of orders on the 400 and not building them.

So guys asking what's the difference?

OT

Oh well. Canadian aerospace industry is not good at selling and marketing. I leave this as the case study......CS almost kills Bombardier.....they give it to Airbus for pocket change and it's selling very well. I'am waiting for an Airbus announcement that they will moving the primary production site too Europe or the US.....or China. But are very grateful to the taxpayers and the government of Canada for their past support.

Airbus has apparently not yet made the A200 series profitable, but are working on it (including a possible A220-500).

Airbus has apparently not yet made the A200 series profitable, but are working on it (including a possible A220-500).
Moving it out of Canada could a good start on the return to profit....lol.

Anyone want to take bets if they do offer a A200-500, the final production assembly site is not Quebec?

I read as much too. But then in comments on some boards it sounded as a zero hour refresh and update.

Plus the name Classic 300 G. The series 400 is the Viking DHC new build. What is the difference?
The Twin Otter Series 400 picks up where the original De Havilland Series 300 Twin Otter left off, introducing upgraded Pratt & Whitney PT6A-34 engines, fully integrated Honeywell Primus Apex digital avionics suite, internal and external LED lighting, and approximately 800 other modifications incorporated to improve upon the original production model.
But then with these guys marketing doesnt seem to be a strong suit. Their websites are all over the map. Still have the Viking site and the DHC new site. All of them poorly done. They don't give much info.
Websites don't sell aircraft to operators. Good salesmen, reliable aircraft, reputation and quaility sell aircraft.
Press releases were vague. Plus the release said 80 new jobs....that not a production program. That's repair,clean up and install new engines and avionics. But is plus the 400 series workers two. But I had read that they were out of orders on the 400 and not building them.
They Build, modify, repair all parts on their aircraft. 80 Jobs would be a production program to combine with their current staff. They seem to still have orders for the 300 and 400 series.

So guys asking what's the difference?

OT

Oh well. Canadian aerospace industry is not good at selling and marketing. I leave this as the case study......CS almost kills Bombardier.....they give it to Airbus for pocket change and it's selling very well. I'am waiting for an Airbus announcement that they will moving the primary production site too Europe or the US.....or China. But are very grateful to the taxpayers and the government of Canada for their past support.
DE Havilland/ Viking Air seem to be making a good go at the process. As for Airbus it Could have been good but choose to do business in the most corrupt part of the country.

The Twin Otter Series 400 picks up where the original De Havilland Series 300 Twin Otter left off, introducing upgraded Pratt & Whitney PT6A-34 engines, fully integrated Honeywell Primus Apex digital avionics suite, internal and external LED lighting, and approximately 800 other modifications incorporated to improve upon the original production model.

Websites don't sell aircraft to operators. Good salesmen, reliable aircraft, reputation and quaility sell aircraft.

They Build, modify, repair all parts on their aircraft. 80 Jobs would be a production program to combine with their current staff. They seem to still have orders for the 300 and 400 series.

DE Havilland/ Viking Air seem to be making a good go at the process. As for Airbus it Could have been good but choose to do business in the most corrupt part of the country.
Still doesnt answer if new build v zero timing old airframes. As I see it if think it's a rebuild as I have seen on other sites. But I am not sure. I guess it doesnt really matter

They should still up there website game its crap. Canadians are terrible at marketing....see BlackBerry for a biz case fir what not to do. I'm still pissed about BlackBerry I miss my crackberry. Bb10 is still better than today's OS.

Bombardier marketing was crap too. Because look what happened.

Last edited:
Still doesnt answer if new build v zero timing old airframes. As I see it if think it's a rebuild as I have seen on other sites. But I am not sure. I guess it doesnt really matter

They should still up there website game its crap. Canadians are terrible at marketing....see BlackBerry for a biz case fir what not to do. I'm still pissed about BlackBerry I miss my crackberry. Bb10 is still better than today's OS.

Bombardier marketing was crap too. Because look what happened.
They don't work for Bombardier, and Bombardier's web site didn't cause their problems. Corruption did.
Web sites don't cater to the average person they cater to

To find out for your self if they are building new or zero timing give them a call and see what your options are.
I would guess both options are on the table. Depends on how much money you have and what's available.

They don't work for Bombardier, and Bombardier's web site didn't cause their problems. Corruption did.
Web sites don't cater to the average person they cater to

To find out for your self if they are building new or zero timing give them a call and see what your options are.
I would guess both options are on the table. Depends on how much money you have and what's available.

My main point is Canadians are shit marketers....I was using the web site as just easy to look at point. If your website is garbage then how good is the rest of the marketing...then that leads to how good really is your product? If you can't do even basic stuff. It's all marketing 101. Canadian companies are in kindergarten.

Not all....Lulu sure knows its stuff. Looking at what the women in my house buy. :)

If you want to be world class start acting like it. You would also not believe the things purchased by looking at good websites. Six and seven digit dollar costing machines and tools purchased online....I have seen it.

Even yesterday I configured a custom built car that gave the price and at end had a buy button. It's 530,000 US! Now yes you are right no one really does that. But you could.

My main point is Canadians are shit marketers....I was using the web site as just easy to look at point. If your website is garbage then how good is the rest of the marketing...then that leads to how good really is your product? If you can't do even basic stuff. It's all marketing 101. Canadian companies are in kindergarten.

Not all....Lulu sure knows its stuff. Looking at what the women in my house buy. :)

If you want to be world class start acting like it. You would also not believe the things purchased by looking at good websites. Six and seven digit dollar costing machines and tools purchased online....I have seen it.

Even yesterday I configured a custom built car that gave the price and at end had a buy button. It's 530,000 US! Now yes you are right no one really does that. But you could.
Well you know what they say about Kids, Drunks and yoga pants .

They all tell the truth. Badum Tissh.

Compared to who Airbus

I think you should contact the Marketing Director of Viking Air/ De Havilland and let him know your thoughts.
Remember De Havilland recently separated from Bombardier but still have a few ties. Loose ends are still being cleaned up.
Web pages do not sell planes. They provide contact information. Airbus the old C-295 has a great web page, how's that working for us?
The Aircraft performance, parts supply, and continuous multiple upgrades, overhauls they have performed speaks volumes. Those who know know, those who want to know can call. Those who cant afford can dream.
When a person wants a Beaver or Otter on Floats they shop around. When they want a Turbo Beaver, Otter on floats they contact Viking Air. They are well known around the world for many years for providing top notch equipment, parts and overhauls. When a client asks for a specific thing, if it can be done they will do it.
Again Web pages do not sell, reputation, quality and support does. However maybe they could offer a amazon marketing service.

Back