• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Danny Williams lowers the Canadian Flag

Glorified Ape said:
It seems like every time the provinces don't get what they want nowadays, they go back to the whole "f-ck Canada" thing. Be it Quebec, Alberta, and now Newfoundland (irony???). What ever happened to "beggars can't be choosers"?

Did it occur to you that this reaction may be a result of Ottawa's ethnocentric attitude towards the areas of Canada that do not form the majority of the government's electorate? Albertans are frustrated with a government that is ideologically opposed to the wishes of most of them, and now Danny Williams is refusing to bend over and take the screwing Ottawa is trying to give him!   This country would be far better off if more of our politicians were cut from the same cloth as Mr Williams . . . or Mr Klein, for that matter.

I am a proud Canadian, but I am afraid that if this nation does not develop some cohesiveness on the issues which threathen our unity my grandchildren may well call themselves proud citizens of a country that does not exist yet.   However, it is more likely that our future descendants would refer to themselves as Americans, because the US will not stand idly by while the country on the other side of the 49th parallel disintegrates and tumbles into political chaos.

We Canadians have a duty to resolve our differences and make this nation work; we likely won't get a second chance at nation building without outside interference.  

I don't want to be an American - do you? :cdn:

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/comment/story.html?id=41e923cc-637b-4a6d-81e5-bbb8556d22c7

It seems that there are many people, some of them normally quite coherent, that are thinking dangerous thoughts these days.   Professor Michael Bliss in the National Post.   Not as virulent as Margaret Wente, but where he is prepared to fight to keep Quebec the attitude to Newfoundland and Labrador seems to be if the want to go, let'em.    And the best of British...

Aside from the obvious disrespect issues, all of which tends to make Danny Williams look righter and righter by the minute, such an outcome wouldn't serve the cause of those that wish to retain Quebec.   The Rock and the Labrador leave, what's to stop Quebec leaving.   Or for that matter Alberta or BC.   Additionally one of the concerns voiced in the past about Quebec leaving was how Canada would maintain communication with Newfoundland and Labrador, with them gone that would be one less thing to negotiate when Quebec separates.

Edited due to a return to normalcy after being afflicted by a momentary bout of insanity.

The faster all these provinces hurry up and leave the faster we can all put the Stars and Stripes on our shoulders....

:)...all "those" provinces can go,......just leave "our" land behind. ;)

Hi Bruce,

I can't find the 6-part story on Newfoundlands financial balance with Canada since confederation on the Independent web-site either.  I'll drop them a line and see what's up.  It was somewhere around 50billion out to Canada with 10billion in.  I'll get back to you about it.

G'day. 

Bruce Monkhouse said:
:)...all "those" provinces can go,......just leave "our" land behind. ;)

Since I'm Canadian, and that's it (ie: I refuse to see provincial circumstance or langue as an identifier) the term "those" and "our" have no real meaning to me.

The more fractured the Canadian political scene, the more steam the Monroe Doctrine will get....

Quote,
the more steam the Monroe Doctrine will get....

Yea.....OK... ???....umm, you forgot who you were posting to right?[unless that was about Marilyn]

Kirkhill said:
http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/comment/story.html?id=41e923cc-637b-4a6d-81e5-bbb8556d22c7

It seems that there are many people, some of them normally quite coherent, that are thinking dangerous thoughts these days.   Professor Michael Bliss in the National Post.   Not as virulent as Margaret Wente, but where he is prepared to fight to keep Quebec the attitude to Newfoundland and Labrador seems to be if the want to go, let'em.    And the best of British...

Dangerous to some, hopeful to others  ;)  I agree with much of what Bliss wrote, and consider most of it is obvious.  

The Quebec situation is vastly different than the Newfoundland situation.  Quebec language, culture and territory is integral to the founding fabric of Canada.  Newfoundland's language, culture and territory are integral to Newfoundland (and Canadian jokes).

As Bliss said, Canada did fine without Newfoundland for 80+ years, and they'll continue to do fine without her (just sort out the trading issues).  Unlike with Quebec,  I agree that most Canadians would accept the decision of a referendum in Newfoundland either way.  This is not saying that I personally believe that the outcome of a referendum (at this time) would lead to Newfoundland going it alone.

That said, I gotta stop talking to Icelanders.  I had a lively talk over drinks with a fellow the other night, who was amazed at the lack of balls Canada shows in protecting the Grand Banks and compared it to the way Iceland protected her waters back in the 70's.   As he said, they were newly independent and knew that if they didn't stand up to the British trawlers their economy and society would be finished, so they did what they had to do.  Guess who still has a healthy fishery?  Of course, in Newfoundland, the end of the fishery is not the end of our way of life, we can gladly accept what's best for us and go off and work in Wente's favourite dry cleaning shop in Scarborough scrubbing the skid marks from her gitch.  I also agree with Bliss when he says that the central Canadian press (mistaken for the Canadian Press, in central Canada) doesn't do a good job in taking the pulse of Newfoundland.  With my point, how many people reading this in Ottawa or Toronto (or wherever ouside of Atlantic Canada) remember the Feds announcing more and more cutbacks in fisheries patrols and enforcement, including last year when it was announced that DFO and the Coast Guard often have _no_ patrols on the Grand Banks depending on the day and time?  Big story in Newfoundland, sorta our equivalent of auto plants closing in Brampton.  Were you outraged by the evidence of trawlers slipping in and out of Canadian territorial waters to fish species that Canadians are not allowed to fish due to their impending extinction?  In the Canada press, it seems that the only time foreigners illegally fish in our waters is shortly before each federal election, and out goes the navy to head them off for a week.  Maybe the answer is more elections?  I dunno.

Glad to see people here being interested in the topic of our place in Canada.  Lot's of views, and a lively discussion, i'm really enjoying reading this.

I'm glad Danny is sorting out the flag issue, let's hope we soon see 100% of our 50% of the royalties.  I'd really rather complain about the equalization we are paying out.  I'll call back in a few years.   :D

For those of you in support of Newfoundland and wish to see the province gettin what it deserves, check this site out.

http://www.fairdealfornewfoundland.com/

Thanks,

And, because I have always been a fan of John Crosbie (even when he gave me a tongue lashing as a youth), an excellent summation of Newfoundlands points, which should sort out the confusion as to why we feel the way we feel, and are not simply gougers, or sooks.  I hope this encourages people to follow the link above and send a protest note to Martin and Goodale.

Sun, January 9, 2005

Our beef with Canada

By John Crosbie -- For the Toronto Sun

Today, I will try to explain what causes the intensity of the feeling in Newfoundland and Labrador over its offshore oil and gas resource dispute with the government of Canada.

Last June 5, Prime Minister Paul Martin, in a phone conversation with Premier Danny Williams that was confirmed later on Signal Hill before the press, committed to make sure that the province was "the primary beneficiary of its resources." Martin stated: "I have made it very clear that the proposal that (Williams) has put forth is a proposal that we accept."

The failure of Martin since June 5 to carry out his electoral commitment to Newfoundland and Labrador comprises the third major betrayal of the province's vital interests by Canada, with respect to the major assets Newfoundland brought to Confederation when it joined on April 1, 1949.

In addition to our strategic geographical position essential to the defence of Canada, we Newfoundlanders brought with us a claim to most of the Atlantic Continental Shelf, comprising millions of square miles later recognized by the UN as part of the Canadian 200-mile economic zone.

If Newfoundland had not joined Canada, Newfoundland would have controlled the fish resources and the oil and gas and mineral resources in that huge area, as well as the iron ore and hydro power resources of Labrador.

The 56 years since 1949 have seen the vital interests of Newfoundland and Labrador ignored by Canada, with the resources either poorly administered and depleted -- as in the case of the cod and other fish species -- or with the province's economic and revenue needs ignored, as in the development of the offshore and hydro power resources.

Shamefully ignored

The promise that it should be the primary beneficiary of the offshore resources -- in accordance with the Atlantic Accord on offshore oil and gas resource management and revenue sharing -- has been ignored shamefully by Canada while Newfoundland continues as a "have not" province, its fiscal capacity per capita still only 68.5% of the national average.

This is why most people in the province back Williams' position in the Atlantic Accord negotiations with Martin -- and why they are so upset that they also support his decision to remove the flag of Canada from provincial buildings.

This all results from Canada's three major betrayals, the details of which should be known to all Canadians:

Hydro: The hydro-electric development of the Upper Churchill River in Labrador was initiated in 1953 when Brinco entered an agreement with the government of Newfoundland. Because of geography, Quebec either had to be the customer for the huge quantity of power developed or had to permit the energy developed to be transmitted across Quebec to other purchasers. The result was torturous negotiations with Quebec that continued for 14 years.
Canada refused to use its constitutional power to declare this a work "for the general advantage of Canada or two or more of the provinces" which would have prevented Quebec's objections. Instead, Canada believed it to be in the national interest not to aggravate the threat of Quebec separatism. This federal decision was largely responsible for the onerous 65-year contract forced upon Newfoundland and Brinco by Quebec that severely limited prices.

During the years since 1974, Quebec has received economic rent from the Upper Churchill Project of $800 million per year while Newfoundland, as the owner of the resource, receives $20 million per year. The development of the Lower Churchill did not proceed and despite seven major negotiations between the two provinces in the 30 years since, two major sites remain undeveloped, with the water running to the sea and Newfoundland and Labrador losing hundreds of millions of dollars of economic rent. How would the people of Ontario or other provinces feel if Quebec was aided by Canada to impose such a deal on them?

Fish: The northern cod were fished off Newfoundland by Europeans from 1481 onwards. In the 100 years from 1850 to 1950, an average catch of 250,000 tonnes of northern cod was taken each year with no diminution in the fish stocks or any threat to the survival of the species. However, in 1992, Canada, within whose jurisdiction the fishery is constitutionally placed, had to announce the cessation of the cod fishery off the east coast of Canada and the fishing for other species cut because the stocks had been so vastly reduced, thanks to modern fishing technology and overfishing. The northern cod stock is still in danger, with other stocks overfished and in a parlous state as well, although Canada instituted generous programs of assistance to the 30,000 fishermen and fish plant workers affected.
Fierce battles

Oil and Gas: The discovery well at Hibernia was drilled in 1979, but it was 20 years before oil was produced and revenues began to flow in 1999. The first deep well had been drilled off Newfoundland in 1966. Fierce battles raged over these resources and how the revenues should be divided until 1985, when the Atlantic Accord was entered into by the administration of then-PM Brian Mulroney (in which I was a cabinet minister).
In 1974, the Supreme Court of Canada decided that Canada owned the oil and gas resources offshore, just as it had owned the oil and gas resources in what were known as the Dominion lands that came into Canada in 1867, and which became the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba as well as Northern Ontario and Quebec. The sub-soil resources were owned by Canada clearly, but in 1912 the sub-soil rights to minerals in Northern Quebec and Northern Ontario were granted to those provinces by Canada. In 1930, the sub-soil rights to oil and gas and other minerals were confirmed to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba by Canada -- without any compensation to the then maritime provinces.

In fairness, Canada should grant to Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and the other maritime provinces full right, title and property in offshore oil or natural gas. But Canada has refused to treat offshore resources as they treated onshore resources.

The long disputes over the offshore resources were settled by the Mulroney administration with the Atlantic Accord, which states "the right of Newfoundland to be the principal beneficiary of the oil and gas resources off its shores."

But because of the way Canada's equalization program works, there is a clawback so that Newfoundland loses up to 70% of its equalization grants, deducted from provincial oil and gas revenues received through the Atlantic Accord. The result is Newfoundland receives only 14% of the total government revenues from the offshore resources, while Ottawa receives 86%.

Last chance

It is Paul Martin who, since 1999, has led Canada's opposition to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia being the principal beneficiaries of offshore revenues. This is their last chance to become "have" provinces.

Last June 5, when Martin made his commitments to Williams, naturally Williams thought the issue settled, with Newfoundland and Labrador to receive 100% net of provincial revenues from offshore oil, without clawback of any kind.

You can well imagine how the weaseling of Martin and his ministerial minions, Ralph Goodale and John Efford, have aroused the distrust and revulsion of the people of the province, who see the commitments made to them after years of bitter disappointment snatched away once again by a totally untrustworthy and dishonourable government of Canada.

Newfoundlanders need their fellow Canadians to understand what has happened, how they have been betrayed.

Hundreds of millions lost on the Churchill River hydro developments, up to $1 billion that could be lost over 16 years on provincial revenues from offshore oil, and many hundreds of millions since 1992 lost by our fishermen and plant workers and rural Newfoundlanders: Surely enough is enough.

Correction on my last - the I got the Monroe Doctrine mixed up with the Manifest Destiny.

Sent my letter in earlier.

The one thing that I would like to see come out of all this mess, Newfoundland Flags, Atlantic Oil, Quebec Asymmetry (bad when the bureaucrats can't be bothered to check spelling), Western Alienation, Alberta "going it alone" on a variety of issues, is a looser Federation and a restriction on centralization and central control.

Why is Trudeau's "Mosaic" revered, while "A Patchwork Quilt" is considered a derisory image?  I would sooner belong to a country where people were comfortable in the community they lived, choosing to order their lives as they chose and choosing to cooperate with other communities to greater purpose.  The opposing view is intellectuals and bureaucrats at the centre, all convinced they have the right answer, imposing their views of rightness on the land at large and on me and mine.  I dislike imposition. I prefer to be asked than told.

227Tech said:
Glorified Ape,

I think you should take a long look at the last 11 pages of posts, you seem to have a completely uneducated point of view.  The only people looking like a buffoon are those with the same attitude you seem to portrait.

I'd like ask what you exactly mean by "beggars can't be chooser's" cause I've walked through the streets in St. John's and other parts of Newfoundland many times and not seen a beggar yet, can't say the same thing for cities in Ont though.

When you grow up and have an  real, educated opinion, come back...otherwise your just wasting our time with written diarrhea

Oh I read the 11 pages prior to my post and, strangely, found that half of your posts consist of saying "your argument is unintelligent and juvenile", first to Bruce and then to myself, posting a news story, and providing a link. In other words, you've posted 4 or 5 times (maybe I missed one) and managed to say absolutely nothing of any substance except to rag on others who actually offered an opinion. Congratulations - you're superfluous.

Of course you haven't seen beggars in St. John's - they'd starve. All your beggars come to Toronto or Montreal where they may actually stand a chance. If the entirety of your "intelligent opinion" consists of saying "Ontario sucks!" then I believe there's a place reserved for you on the same boat you've put me in. Whine a bit more about Ontario - that'll get you somewhere, just as it has with BC, Alberta, Quebec, and just about every other province in this country.

That's my point - the provinces need to stop bitching. Ontario gets screwed too, and we bitch too, and we need to shut up about it since that's the way the ball has bounced since time immemorial. If the provinces want to engage in realistic, productive policy formation then great - do it up. In the process, realise that this isn't contract negotiation between corporations here, this is politics - people lie, cheat, and steal. This isn't a fricking revelation here, for christ's sake. As for saying "the feds are screwing us, so f-ck this country and its confederation", I'm sick of hearing it - from the politicians and the populous. No wonder our divorce rates are as high as they are with such a group of non-commital, peurile children who want to run away from the play pen every time the other guy gets a little more sand than them or doesn't treat them as the end-all and be-all of the preschool.

The PM said one thing and did another... this still shocks people? That's the way it works - you say what will please everyone and then do what you can. This isn't a matter of allowing Nfld. 100% revenues, it's how fast the feds pull back the pokey. Be glad there's pokey there to begin with. I'm not taking the feds side, necessarily, but I am taking issue with the idiotic attention-whoring of the premier which has served to do little else than stymie things even more. It's reminiscent of something the PQ or Bloc would do. Nfld deserves its leg up, especially if it can do it on its own, but shi--ing on the flag only alienates the province and makes things even more adversarial than they already were.

mo-litia said:
Did it occur to you that this reaction may be a result of Ottawa's ethnocentric attitude towards the areas of Canada that do not form the majority of the government's electorate? Albertans are frustrated with a government that is ideologically opposed to the wishes of most of them, and now Danny Williams is refusing to bend over and take the screwing Ottawa is trying to give him!   This country would be far better off if more of our politicians were cut from the same cloth as Mr Williams . . . or Mr Klein, for that matter.

Ugh... Ralph Klein, the alchy pseudo-Texan who'd like to see a glorious Bush-style Alberta? If more of our politicians were cut from that cloth, we'd be in dire circumstances. The provinces are just that - provinces, not countries. Simply because the premiers would like the ability to dictate policy on every realm and with as few constraints as possible is not any reason to give it to them. Alberta's anti-gay tendencies are a prime example of why the feds should keep the provincial powers firmly checked and, when necessary, dictate policy. Sometimes the provinces need a smack in the face. Ontarion REALLY needed a smack in the face with the healthcare funding fiasco the conservatives got us into, then blamed on the feds. IMO, we need weaker provinces, not stronger ones. This is fast becoming very loosely bonded country because the provinces can't look past their noses and see there's an entire country to consider, not just their precious province. Some jurisdictions should be purely provincial, yes, but it seems every time we have a premier's summit we end up with a bunch of wankers screaming for more and more autonomy and doing less and less to actually govern their provinces properly. The only time the provinces can manage a united front is when they all have some common thing they all want from the feds. In the meantime, provinces get screwed by feds who're trying to find some way to work out a policy with a province without having the rest come in screaming about preferential treatment - hence the concept of asymmetrical federalism as some attempt at pre-empting the "favouritism" argument.

I am a proud Canadian, but I am afraid that if this nation does not develop some cohesiveness on the issues which threathen our unity my grandchildren may well call themselves proud citizens of a country that does not exist yet.   However, it is more likely that our future descendants would refer to themselves as Americans, because the US will not stand idly by while the country on the other side of the 49th parallel disintegrates and tumbles into political chaos.

We Canadians have a duty to resolve our differences and make this nation work; we likely won't get a second chance at nation building without outside interference.  

I don't want to be an American - do you? :cdn:

How can we form cohesive policies when every province wants to be their own dictator in every jurisdiction except national defence, and only then because it's too expensive? We need a federal government that will keep the provinces in line, not some pandering yes-men who will allow 4th-string politicians to become mini-PM's of mini-countries, all the while tearing the country apart to the point where Nunavut is considering becoming its own state.

That being said, I think this whole "Newfoundland could separate" talk is overstating things a bit. Quebec would have trouble surviving on its own, let alone Newfoundland which hasn't been self-sufficient for god knows how long. That's not a crack at Newfoundland (God knows federal mismanagement of the fisheries aided in their decline), I'm just pointing out that all this talk of NFLD separating is ridiculous and anyone who thinks they could pull it off is living in a pipe dream.

It all comes down to spending power - the feds want it and so do the provinces. That's why such problems will never go away, you can only negotiate them. In the meantime, screaming about separation and how it'd be better to quit the union really does nothing but focus attention away from where it should be.

Well Ape, if nothing else, you offer the counter to my position.

Greetings from the colonies to the centre.  Best of luck with your career.

Kirkhill said:
Well Ape, if nothing else, you offer the counter to my position.

Greetings from the colonies to the centre.   Best of luck with your career.

Thank you, and you with yours. Admittedly, though, your position seems far more popular these days than mine. Perhaps I'm a bit outdated.

Glorified Ape said:
Ugh... Ralph Klein, the alchy pseudo-Texan who'd like to see a glorious Bush-style Alberta? If more of our politicians were cut from that cloth, we'd be in dire circumstances.

Yeah, debt-free, lower taxes, lowest unemployment.  I can see how terrible Alberta has become.  Oh, did I mention that this fiscal year we are the only province paying in to provincial transfers?  I'm not complaining about it though, as it's part of confederation.  I noticed that after telling us not to bitch about the provinces, because you're sick of it, you decide to bitch about the leader of mine?  Hypocracy, thy name is Glorified Ape.  Clever.  And Cheers.

T

Glorified Ape said:
How can we form cohesive policies when every province wants to be their own dictator in every jurisdiction except national defence, and only then because it's too expensive? We need a federal government that will keep the provinces in line, not some pandering yes-men who will allow 4th-string politicians to become mini-PM's of mini-countries, all the while tearing the country apart to the point where Nunavut is considering becoming its own state.

That being said, I think this whole "Newfoundland could separate" talk is overstating things a bit. Quebec would have trouble surviving on its own, let alone Newfoundland which hasn't been self-sufficient for god knows how long. That's not a crack at Newfoundland (God knows federal mismanagement of the fisheries aided in their decline), I'm just pointing out that all this talk of NFLD separating is ridiculous and anyone who thinks they could pull it off is living in a pipe dream.

It all comes down to spending power - the feds want it and so do the provinces. That's why such problems will never go away, you can only negotiate them. In the meantime, screaming about separation and how it'd be better to quit the union really does nothing but focus attention away from where it should be.

Thank you, that seems to spell my concern out very clearly.  I prefer living in a functioning state as opposed to a disintergrating feudal arrangement.

For all those "provincials", better start working on the the following:

"I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation...."

I have already "pledged my allegiance",  three times over in fact, to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors.....

Pretty sure you've offered that assurance at least once yourself Infanteer,

Cheers ;) :salute:

Back