• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CTB on BOTP

Ralph

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone remember offhand how many weekends you get off during BOTP? I know the enlisted recruits are confined to barracks for the first few weeks - if I get in for the September course, will I get the Thanksgiving weekend off? Do they ever give you an extra half-day to get back? There are only so many hours to fly cross-country...
Cheers,
Ralph.

REG FORCE info:

IAP-BOTP for the first 8 weeks is called IAP (not BOTP). That stands for initial assessment period. the first 4 weeks of this period are considered an indoctrination period, and thus all Officer Candidates are CB (confided to barracks) for the entirety of those 4 weeks - longer if the DS feel the need.

After that, a couple weekends are also "duty weekends" where you will be CB‘d again, but those are fairly random. Basically, if you are on course, you will go home when you get to go home, not when you want to go home.

Just wondering if anyone is going to the IAP-BOTP in St. Jean this summer from June 23 to Aug. 15?

I don‘t think I would have problem going home since I live in Vancouver and it would be a pain in the *** to travel back and forth :p

so us living in the west taking the course in Quebec are kinda stuck in the barraks anyhow eh?

You will be very familiar with St-Jean by the time you are done with it. Expect to spend close to one full year in that place if your entry plan is DEO and your official language skills are somewhat mediocre.
An interesting side-note, only Privates can be legally CB‘d (confined to barracks). Not saying that it won‘t happen, it just will be called something else.... Think of it more like this way. The military does not have to give you your weekends off. In the case of BOTC (or whatever they are calling it this week), the instructors simply provide a marching NCO to accompany the candidates during the weekend periods, in order to keep them busy.

Zoomie (and others)

I did some investigating into the 2nd language training (SLT) component. Used to be that a DEO officer could spend many consecutive months doing SLT following IAP/BOTP.

However, under the new model (which I found on the DIN), the Army is limiting SLT during DP1, which is the period from enrolment to completion of Phase 4.. My memory is escaping me, but I believe the limit was 200 hours (i.e. 5 weeks) during DP1. The remainder is deferred to DP2 (Captain to LCol, I believe).

The idea, I would think, is to get Army officers trade qualified before worrying too much about SLT, since bilingualism is not a requirement until promotion to either LCol or Col.

The only question is when the new plan starts...hopefully soon. Nobody‘s been told any different than eight months at St. Jean for SLT yet, have you?
Cheers,
Ralph.

I can‘t remember the exact date of the change, but I do remember that according to the document the new policy should now be in place.

HOWEVER...we all know better than to take that for granted.

tjmackey99... going onto RMC are you? Ill probably see you around at the Mega, although I will not be on your course.

Illucigen, actually I will be staying at my civilian university for my last two years. I am what they call a "senior applicant" and am joining the process a little late. But I will be around St. Jean this summer and am looking forward to it...believe it or not..hahhaha. Maybe I see ya there!

The recruiting website‘s been updated (since I was there last) - for those who didn‘t know, infantry and artillery now share Phase II (I think that‘s new, right?) and it still says you‘re in for 7 mos. of SLT. Infantry says "if required", but I can only guess that‘s if you‘re already bilingual.
Cheers,
Ralph.

for those who didn‘t know, infantry and artillery now share Phase II
All Land Force pers (Army DEU) do CAP (common Army Phase) formerly known as Ph 2.

Huzzah the necropost! I couldn't find the answer to my question so I'll reopen this thread in hopes of a quick "yes" or "no." I've been through IAP and well remember the 4-week (5 for my platoon :-[ ) "indoctrination period" of being confined to base. My question is: Is there a CB period for BOTP? (2nd half of BMOQ, if you like)  Or am I already considered sufficiently indoctrinated?

Thanks

Well from what I was told by the folks at the CFRC, since IAP and BOTC are back to back, you only go through indoctrination one time. The course carries on after that, and you are 'free' so to speak, on weekends during BOTC. Again, that is what I was told, who knows what the platoon staff might decide to do. :p

Intelligent Design said:
Well from what I was told by the folks at the CFRC, since IAP and BOTC are back to back, you only go through indoctrination one time. The course carries on after that, and you are 'free' so to speak, on weekends during BOTC. Again, that is what I was told, who knows what the platoon staff might decide to do. :p

No, check out my post. I joined coming right out of high school, and didn't have a long enough summer to do both together, and just did IAP. So I'm going back to to JUST BOTP this summer, and they're not back-to-back.

Well I don't know if they will change things around on you, but then again... Things are changing a lot this year. The only way to find out it to get there and see what the platoon staff say right?

Intelligent Design said:
Well I don't know if they will change things around on you, but then again... Things are changing a lot this year. The only way to find out it to get there and see what the platoon staff say right?

On my BOTP we had every weekend off, except the friday after our last field Ex and another weekend that we got CBd. Oh and we could use the elavators...at first...

Lumber said:
Oh and we could use the elavators...at first...

Oooh, I remember how sweet those elevators looked after a week in the field with all my kit...*sigh* at least I was only on the 9th floor.
  I only rode the elevators ONCE, because I had to go upstairs with my MCpl, who loudly passed wind and then blamed it on me....memories.

fofo said:
i'd like to know what happens when warnings are given towards the end of BOTP....warning related to weapon handling and safety durinng the 2nd last week of BOTP...what are the chances of passing the course despite a warning?

Messed up did you?  Well, my answer is it depends.

- what was this person's performance like before w/wpns?  (ie is there a history)
- did it involve a ND?  If so, what is the CO CFLRS's policy on NDs?  (it should be a charge at this point in time IMO but....I'm not the CO.  However when I left the green machine, that was pretty much standard for ND).
- is the trainee on the Wrng System for other deficiencies/poor performance?  If so, at what level of the warning system?
- details surrounding the event ( was there potential for injury to self/others/property, was it inside an area where the wpn was already supposed to be clear, or on an attack, etc).

That is my answer.  *not enough info, each case is different*

Back