• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT/OT offer accepted, now what?

And....my msg came in yesterday.  In it, there is an ETA, which the msg states "can be changed by your unit communicating directly to the concerned unit" ie, Req Delay in Reporting Date.  There are claims and Royal Lepage and Furniture and Effects and the BOR to get involved before you go anywhere.

Good going Dara

GDawg you may want to take a lesson from Dara.  Booking your own storage unit means that the CF is under no obligation to reimburse you for any of the cost.  Just driving 3000 km and showing up is not logical either - you have voided any claim you may have been entitled to.  If you are not suppose to be there then they do not have to supply you with R&Q - another cost you absorb.  Add that if you were supposed to report somewhere else on your CT date then they could charge you as AWOL and make you travel back at your own cost. Not enough to change your mind yet?  Think of this one - the military is not overly fond of adminstrative burdens.  Add up all the stuff you are doing as "proactive" and look at it from the other side of the table.  I see everything you are doing as an admin burden as each one creates work for someone else.

Also, FYI for any future CT's, there is a workflow process, http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/docs/programs/release/CT_Process_2008_b.pdf, and in Step 5;

"It is the member’s responsibility for all travel and movement arrangements which is done through CFIRP (with the exception of Base Training List (BTL)) with the help of the P Res Unit to complete the necessary claims as required."

I'm holding firm on the drive right now. The storage unit situation was unavoidable, If the CF doesn't like the company I am with, then I can just get someone to move it to an approved storage company.

Ok, I guess you have to do what you think needs to be done.  But, I can get you some phone numbers if you need them for the CT Office in Ottawa, you are not suppose to be left out on a limb like this, so many other things could have been done.

So you are in Grande Prairie AB, so long as you are working somewhere full time as your situation is sorted out you are good to go.  Sometimes they put you on leave without pay to fill in the time if this is not possible.  Once you receive the message, your unit can immediately send a request to delay reporting date, and you can get all you benefits lined up, I see you are five hours from Edmonton, is there not a CSOR there?  Can't you get a phone number and ask a few questions ahead of time?  You are not suppose to travel without a claim, that whole drive down should be covered, but now you have travelled before you belong to the Reg F, how are they suppose to cover that?  How are you suppose to be covered if you are in an accident (knock on wood)?

As a clerk, there is so much wrong here that I want to fix, and I am sure between your orderly room, perhaps Edmonton and Ottawa this can be sorted out, before you drive across Canada.  I'm going to send a pm with my home email (on leave Mon) if you want me to get that Ottawa phone # for you.

i'm posted ot Base Training until my course starts...you should go see your chain of command to get your crap in order. You should be able to open a travel claim, request to take a pmv, get paid for mileage etc....its the systm and its there to work for you, not against you.

When I CTed, there was no travel claim or anything as it was considered a first posting and only got something like 670$ from Royal Lepage.  His reporting date at CFSCE is May 1st so he doesn't show up he might be considered AWOL so not taking a chance I guess. He could always get the money from Royale Lepage in Kingston. I guess the new process is leaving units confused to whom the member belongs to. Is it not like before where you belonged to the CFRC until you reported  where your CT message stated? 

GDawg said:
I'm holding firm on the drive right now. The storage unit situation was unavoidable, If the CF doesn't like the company I am with, then I can just get someone to move it to an approved storage company.

Not that easy - more admin burden.  If they are moving your stuff into storage then it is Long Term Storage which is done through Base traffic/F&E.  They hire a moving company to pack, load and move the items into storage.  As your stuff is now in storage it has to come out, be unpacked, inspected, repacked properly, loaded, moved and stored if you want the military to cover the cost of storing.  This will not normally happen until your CT date so if you drive without having things properly arranged you will have to go back for the move unless they allow you to designate someone else to sign on your behalf.

meni0n said:
When I CTed, there was no travel claim or anything as it was considered a first posting and only got something like 670$ from Royal Lepage.  His reporting date at CFSCE is May 1st so he doesn't show up he might be considered AWOL so not taking a chance I guess. He could always get the money from Royale Lepage in Kingston. I guess the new process is leaving units confused to whom the member belongs to. Is it not like before where you belonged to the CFRC until you reported  where your CT message stated?

You had a Move Claim vice a Travel Claim.  Regardless of the type of claim - if you do not have one then technically you are not covered by the Military. 

His CT date is 1 May - that does not mean it is his report date. On a move you have admin days, so your report date is adjusted accordingly by you requesting the leave.  As he has a CT of 1 May he should have went to base traffic to arrange his F&E transfer to storage.  They would have given the date for the move (most likely 1 May).  Then he could have his current OR email gaining unit and request RPD date of 4 or 5 May and approve a leave pass for the period.  No AWOL at all. Also when driving you are restricted on the mileage per day - exceed that limit and have an accident the military may choose not to cover you.

Again - shaping to be an admin burden which can be cause for release.

This is info that should have been received by a clerk at the unit.  If the unit clerks are confused then they should contact a clerk at the base and enquire on the procedure.  As Dara said - there is so much wrong here that could create problems for the member.

On a lighter note, I maybe be weird, but I am so looking forward to my drive to Nova Scotia, I won't have to do it in two 10 hour days like I normally do when going on LTA.  I can take my time and enjoy the trip this time around.  Of course, I still need to get through my meetings with IRP, F&E and my HHT.  Actually, I'm looking forward to the whole process, maybe not the third and fourth time, but this first will be exciting.

My ETA is 2 May. I came down to Calgary to finalize the release from my home unit, and do a BFT. I'll check in with the SOR this afternoon to see if we can get the rest of this gong-show hammered out and change my ETA as necessary. The difficulty of this situation has been compounded by the fact that I normally reside 750 km away from my reserve home unit and my SOR clerk is not very familiar with these matters at all. I had to move my F & E into storage unilaterally because I'm staying with my parent (I'm cheap) and she will be moving to a new house in May and I personally refused to place extra burden on my family in my probable absence.

GDawg said:
I normally reside 750 km away from my reserve home unit

Your RTA must be killer...lol

My CT offer specifically says my CT date is 2 July and my COS date is 3 July.

Office Linebacker said:
Your RTA must be killer...lol

My CT offer specifically says my CT date is 2 July and my COS date is 3 July.

Ouch - who ever did this never worked F&E. Do you have a move involved?

CountDC said:
Ouch - who ever did this never worked F&E. Do you have a move involved?

Nah, i clear out of the squadron and into the base. I'm BTL until I'm course loaded.

I got my ETP instructions on the 24 Apr, with COS and ETA being 2 May. To me that seems like obscenely short notice.

Heh, just got my ETP msg on Fri, and TOS is 1 May 09, I never expect to be in Halifax on that date though.  I gave my BOR a heads up I would be coming on Fri.  I also forwarded the msg to IRP, who told me to call them everyday, to see if I was in the system.  My CClk sent a delay of reporting date for 30 May 09 and hopefully everything will get done in between.  I will give you that I am going in Skilled, so it is a little less complicated.

My TOS/Posting message finally showed up at my unit a week or so ago, and I transferred effective 2 Mar 09. I have a feeling DMCA 5-5 is pushing these files through so fast, the magic OR that handles the CTing pers in Ottawa can't keep up.

PuckChaser said:
My TOS/Posting message finally showed up at my unit a week or so ago, and I transferred effective 2 Mar 09. I have a feeling DMCA 5-5 is pushing these files through so fast, the magic OR that handles the CTing pers in Ottawa can't keep up.

I think that there may be a few other problems.  Seems it took a guy working for us, putting in a Memo for a 30 day Release to get some action to his OT to AVN Tech.  Seems some people weren't looking and paying attention to files on their desks.  He had a guaranteed spot and all, and they sat on it.  Yesterday he got a msg saying he is now going AST.  Totally screwed up, but at least it was Air Force and he could start getting his Land kit exchanged for Air.  He is still sorting out the paperwork to be in Borden for AVN. 

So.  I would say that there are a few people asleep at the switch up there.

George Wallace said:
So.  I would say that there are a few people asleep at the switch up there.

5-5  tells us they are busier than one armed wall paper hangers..I'm CT, skilled, with immediate OT. My trade is air force, hard core and my offer said land uniform..i was pretty excited..would have been the only FE with deu land..lol..sadly it was a typo and will be corrected on my message. We've had 4 or 5 skilled AVN techs CT back to the reg force since august. The RA didn't hurt, thats for sure. They're even transfering guys back at their reserve rank of sgt or m/

GDawg said:
I got my ETP instructions on the 24 Apr, with COS and ETA being 2 May. To me that seems like obscenely short notice.

It is short notice with a move involved.  Sounds like someone is not taking into account the amount of work involved in moving people around.  Actually - you got the message on the 24 Apr - is that the same date the unit received it?  Just wondering if maybe the unit had it a week earlier and sat on it.  Had that problem with several CTs when at F&E - units were waiting for training nights to notify the members instead of calling them right away. Not good at all if the member happened to miss a training night.

Back