• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT-114 Tutor

I wish they would come clean on the Arrive Can app. It was that expensive because they were building in a ton of stuff into. They want to the human out of the booths. That's coming. You may see the first at the Gordie Howe. It was to have full tracking in the app too. Plus the data base was sized to handle it. They wanted to make the full digital border.

If they had said that the cost is understandable but they didn't and just took the political cost of looking like they overpaid. They would have received more backlash from anti digital id people so took the path of just looking dumb. It was a political calculus made.
Yet all the secrecy, all the lies and the fact the people hired to build the program had nothing to do with it.

Maybe DeHavilland bought those rights also. Can build a updated Tutor for the Show team.

Yet all the secrecy, all the lies and the fact the people hired to build the program had nothing to do with it.

Maybe DeHavilland bought those rights also. Can build a updated Tutor for the Show team.
Ok sure but I was meaning that the contractor hired to do make the App built out a bigger platform than just the what was shown. I do know for a fact CBSA wants to go unmanned on the first line in the booths. I have heard the ArriveCan app had more stuff built into it. I live in the busy bordertown on the planet. And some of the features may or may not be good. I am trying to say the overpayment may not be a case of total malfeasants. But who knows?

Back to the Tutor replacement etc

You maybe able to make a case for final assembly of a trainer/snowbird/aggressor in Canada. Lockheed/KAI F/T-50 could be Americanized and built here. The South Koreans seem very willing to work with Nations that want in-country assembly.

Tell Bell we will buy the Scorpion if built here...Could be too late for that one.

So 15 for Snowbirds, 25 for training, 10 for Aggressor/Red Air. So 50 units. Stretch to 75 units for spares etc. Go real crazy and add 25 more for NORAD/NATO Air Policing by getting an armed version. The RCAF would not go there as it would threaten the CF-35 numbers and program.

I like that list Spencer!

But I have to say (and I know it's one of the long odds & would never be considered) are any jets originating from India

Just nope. Nope nope nope!

The Hawk we are familiar with. Its easy to maintain, fairly easy to learn how to fly, available when needed for the most part, and enough are in use worldwide that spare parts aren't a huge problem. No IP transfers or sending them back to their home country for updates.

Scorpion has always caught my eye, but having never seen one (video or real life) I was pretty 🤷‍♂️ about it

But that T-50 is one sexy little plane i have to say...

And since both South Korea & Poland have very active security concerns on their borders, thefavt that they both picked it suggests it brings something really beneficial to the customer

So 15 for Snowbirds, 25 for training, 10 for Aggressor/Red Air. So 50 units. Stretch to 75 units for spares etc.
We have to remember the currency exchange rate in terms of numbers of platforms requested, and number of platforms negotiated on our behalf. Especially with the Liberals at the helm...

"We need a minimum of 35 airframes..." ... was replied with... "28 airframes!? Okay!!"

Thinking we should order those 25 extra for spares...some of them may end up not being spares at all

Damn I just spent the over an hour looking for the Type Certificate for the CL-41, CT-114. No luck

You can see the Viking (DHC) Type Certs for the DHC-1 though 8 and their multi listing, The CL-215 and others, plus the Shorts 330 and Sherpa. I could not find the Tutor. It not listed under Canadair, Viking, Bombardier, DeHavilland, General Dynamics, Convair, or Consolidated. All the types that may have at one time owned it. Plus not under L3 or IMP.

I'm thinking the RCAF must manage the type themselves.

Damn I just spent the over an hour looking for the Type Certificate for the CL-41, CT-114. No luck

You can see the Viking (DHC) Type Certs for the DHC-1 though 8 and their multi listing, The CL-215 and others, plus the Shorts 330 and Sherpa. I could not find the Tutor. It not listed under Canadair, Viking, Bombardier, DeHavilland, General Dynamics, Convair, or Consolidated. All the types that may have at one time owned it. Plus not under L3 or IMP.

I'm thinking the RCAF must manage the type themselves.
As specified in the Aeronautics Act, the MND has full oversight of military aviation. We issue our own licenses and we have our own rules.

As specified in the Aeronautics Act, the MND has full oversight of military aviation. We issue our own licenses and we have our own rules.
Thanks

I thought so.

But many of the RCAF's aircrafts are listed under their respective manufacturers. I get many are used in the civilian world. But Boeing does have the CF188 listed.

They will be around until at least 2030..major upgrades underway...

yes this is a CT-114 431 sqn is the only unit flying them and this is going to be the new layout...until someone in gov writes a cheque.

1706570193539.png

Waiting for a carbon-friendly Pratt & Whitney Canada PW509 turbofan to replace the environmentally-destructive J85 turbojet.

Need to disband 431, scrap the CT114, and reallocate in the money and PYs to something useful, not something that gives money to the folks who run airshows.

Need to disband 431, scrap the CT114, and reallocate in the money and PYs to something useful, not something that gives money to the folks who run airshows.
well we can discuss air demo sqn's in general but most if not all major AF's have one or more (yes I know comparing to the US is not the best analog)... it is an item for recruitment etc. I just think their budget should be separate, i am ok with them using the 114's now that this upgrade is underway..

a separate budget would mean no loss to front line units..

Waiting for a carbon-friendly Pratt & Whitney Canada PW509 turbofan to replace the environmentally-destructive J85 turbojet.
sorry i am really not sure if this is a serious post or just something to laugh at?

sorry i am really not sure if this is a serious post or just something to laugh at?
I see I made a typo…it should have said ‘PW500

well we can discuss air demo sqn's in general but most if not all major AF's have one or more (yes I know comparing to the US is not the best analog)... it is an item for recruitment etc. I just think their budget should be separate, i am ok with them using the 114's now that this upgrade is underway..

All expenditures on non operational units detract from operational units. Keeping 431 means techs and pilots who should be flying real a/c on real missions are employed on non operational fluff

All expenditures on non operational units detract from operational units. Keeping 431 means techs and pilots who should be flying real a/c on real missions are employed on non operational fluff
fair enough...but in the real world of military spending 431 is pretty light overall for an air unit however, I hear you. Unless we get real with defense spending you are probably correct every toonie counts...

I would just add. For pilots while yes there will always be a shortage we have more than enough airframes than pilots right now. Sad state of affairs indeed! Strategic airlift et al are full but we currently have less than 50 fighter jocks....for the upgraded fleet of 35 (CF-18) with AESA radar etc.

This is pretty much the kiss of death for the Tutor.

Everytime over the past 30 years where we put a glass cockpit into an analog airplane, we retired it scant years later….

Given the age of the Tutor, Canadian Heritage should be funding the Squadron. However trying to wrest those funds from the Francophone endangered will be quite a feat.

This is pretty much the kiss of death for the Tutor.

Everytime over the past 30 years where we put a glass cockpit into an analog airplane, we retired it scant years later….
yup I completely agree..maybe that is a good thing?? meaning forcing an upgrade to a new AF?

Back