• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl Kevin Megeney NSH - 06 March 2007

a_majoor said:
Just finished the Ramp Ceremony. I hope like hell there won't be anymore this tour.....

RIP

Same here a_majoor I got 12 troops over there now.

RIP

I recognize some faces at the ramp ceremony.....

To the family of Kevin.My prayers are with  you.Your son was very brave and proud to serve his country.I know that for a fact because he trained with my son CPL Chris Clark.They had a great time every since they met.I only met Kevin a few times but I was just as proud of him as i am my own son.He was a great soldier.He will always be in our hearts.God bless,from Debbie Clark Debert N.S.

FROM http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/07/megeney-kandahar.html

Canadian soldier's body on its way home
Last Updated: Wednesday, March 7, 2007 | 4:25 PM ET
CBC News
The body of a soldier from Nova Scotia began its trip home from Afghanistan on Wednesday, while investigators continue to probe how his death occurred at Kandahar airfield.

megeney-kevin-c070307.jpg

Members of Joint Task Force Afghanistan carry the body of Cpl. Kevin Megeney on to a C-130 Hercules aircraft Wednesday night at the airfield in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
(Cpl. Dan Pop/DND)
Eight soldiers carried a flag-draped coffin containing the remains of Cpl. Kevin Megeney onto a C-130 Hercules aircraft Wednesday night as bagpipes played during a ramp ceremony.

"He was so young, full of life, a funny guy who was a friend to all," said a chaplain at the ceremony.

Megeney, 25, a reservist from Stellarton, N.S., died Tuesday at Kandahar airfield. He was a member of the 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders.

Megeney's family told CBC News he had been shot in the chest in his tent Tuesday evening. He died 20 minutes later in hospital.

Continue Article

Hundreds of NATO soldiers, including many from Canada, stood at attention to show respect to the infantryman as his body was carried on to the plane.

His death is considered unusual because he was inside Kandahar airfield, a secure area, and the fatal wound was not the result of enemy action.

Loaded weapon
Rules strictly prohibit off-duty soldiers on the base from carrying a loaded weapon.

Maj. Dale MacEachern, spokesman for Task Force Afghanistan, would not comment on the shooting.

"There is no new information I can provide you with at this time," MacEachern said.

megeney-kevin-a070307.jpg

Hundreds of NATO soldiers, including many from Canada, stood at attention to show respect to the infantryman as his body was carried onto the plane.
(Cpl. Dan Pop/DND)
"It could have been an accident. Before we can definitively say 100 per cent that it was, we have to let the investigation run its course, gather the facts and go from there."

Officers of the National Investigation Service are conducting the investigation.

Megeney had been in Afghanistan since December.

Cpl. Brent Bowden, 22, a pall bearer, is travelling home with Megeney's remains to attend the funeral. He and Megeney were members of the same militia regiment.

"Our platoon is like a family and Kev was like a brother to me," Bowden said.

Lisa Megeney, his sister, told the Canadian Press that the family received a call Tuesday morning from someone at the base.

They were told he had been shot in his left lung, but was still alive.

"He was yelling for someone to call his mother," she said. Later, the family was told that he had died.

Flags at half-mast in soldier's hometown
Megeney's death has shocked many people in his hometown. Flags were flying at half-mast throughout Stellarton Wednesday, a town of about 5,000 located between Cape Breton and Halifax.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay, who is the member of Parliament for the area, said the news hit him "like a lightning bolt." He was informed Tuesday afternoon in a call from Megeney's uncle.

"Kevin was an extraordinary young man and I know that his life's ambition was to be a soldier," MacKay told the New Glasgow News. "His pride in being a soldier was only exceeded in his family's pride in him."

MacKay remembers meeting Megeney at a military event in New Glasgow in November. He said he imagines the tight-knit Stellarton community, located in Pictou County, will help Mageney's family through its grief.

"I know the Pictou County family is very supportive when traumatic times arrive," MacKay said. "You see a real rallying around of support and assistance at times like this."

Since 2002, 45 Canadian soldiers and a diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan. Canada has more than 2,000 troops in Afghanistan, with the majority in the southern province of Kandahar.

With files from the Canadian Press

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN AND WHERE THE FUNERAL CEREMONY WILL BE.I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND,MY SON CANNOT DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND HIS CONTROL. SO I PROMISED I WOULD FOR HIM.REST IN PEACE KEVIN .CHRIS WILL MISS YOU.

Debbie,

We'll make sure to get the Ceremony details up when they are confirmed, finalized and released. My thoughts to you and Chris.

I'll keep my ears open locally, and try to get the details posted as soon as I know.

RIP Corporal. :cdn: :salute:

I would just like to take this time to tell each and every soldier, sailor and airman and every one of the family members here to ENSURE you (or your loved ones) fill out your DND 2105 “Designation of Memorial Cross Recipient”.

If you don’t your loved ones will not receive the memorial cross.  There is no scope for interpretation of the Order in Council governing this award, leally no one within DND or the Government can decide once you are dead to award this medal to any member of your family without conviening a special comittee (as they did for Capt Goddart's husband) and those are rare indeed.

For reference:

CANFORGEN 182/06 CMP 090 051457Z DEC 06
MEMORIAL CROSS
UNCLASSIFIED
REF. A. PC 2006-1449 OF 30 NOV 06
B. PC 5812 OF 5 DEC 50 (CFAO 18-19) 
1. REF A IS A NEW ORDER IN COUNCIL (OIC) GOVERNING THE GRANTING OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS. THE MEMORIAL CROSS WAS CREATED IN 1919 AND HAS BEEN GRANTED SINCE THEN AS A MEMENTO OF PERSONAL LOSS AND SACRIFICE ON THE PART OF THE MOTHERS AND WIDOWS OF MIL PERS KILLED IN OR ON THEIR WAY TO AND FROM A SPECIAL DUTY AREA (SDA), OR WHO DIED AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THEIR SVC IN AN SDA. THE LAST MAJOR REVIEW OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS WAS CONDUCTED IN 1950. SINCE THAT TIME, CDN SOCIETY HAS EVOLVED, THE MAKE-UP OF THE MODERN FAMILY HAS CHANGED AND SO HAS THE CF. THE NEW OIC UPDATES THE CRITERIA FOR THE GRANTING OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS 
2. THE NEW OIC APPLIES TO ALL CF MBRS WHO SERVE IN THE REG F, PRIMARY RES, CIC OR CDN RANGERS AFTER 31 DEC 06. THE 1950 OIC AT REF B WILL NO LONGER APPLY TO THESE MBRS 
3. BEGINNING 1 JAN 07, THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE GRANTED UNDER THE NEW OIC AS A MEMENTO OF PERSONAL LOSS AND SACRIFICE IN RESPECT OF THE DEATH OF A MBR OR FORMER MBR RESULTING FROM AN INJURY OR DIESEASE RELATED TO MIL SVC, REGARDLESS OF LOCATION 
THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE GRANTED TO A MAXIMUM OF THREE INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE BEEN DESIGNATED BY THE MBR OR FORMER MBR. ALL CF MBRS AND FORMER MBRS TO WHOM THE NEW OIC APPLIES MUST DESIGNATE THEIR CHOSEN RECIPIENTS BY COMPLETING AND SIGNING THE FORM ENTITLED QUOTE DESIGNATION OF MEMORIAL CROSS RECIPIENTS UNQUOTE (DND 2105) AVAL AT HTTP://IMGAPP.MIL.CA/DFC2. RECIPIENTS DO NOT HAVE TO BE FAMILY MBRS, BUT MUST BE A LIVING INDIVIDUAL. UNITS ARE TO ENSURE ALL CURRENTLY SERVING CF MBRS COMPLETE THE FORM BEFORE 1 JAN 07. THE COMPLETED FORM IS TO BE PLACED ON THE MBR S PERS FILE. IF NO DESIGNATION IS MADE, NO MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED. MBRS AND FORMER MBRS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR UPDATING THESE FORMS AS THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE
5. DND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ISSUING THE MEMORIAL CROSS FOR CF MBRS, VETERAN'S AFFAIRS CANADA (VAC) IS RESPONSIBLE FOR FORMER MBRS. FOR CASES INVOLVING DEATH IN AN SDA OR A TRG ACCIDENT, WHEN THE CAUSE OF DEATH IS CLEARLY ATTRIBUTABLE TO MIL SVC, THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED IMMEDIATELY. IN ALL OTHER CASES, THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL NOT BE ISSUED UNTIL IT IS DETERMINED THAT DEATH WAS ATTRIBUTABLE TO MIL SVC 
6. BECAUSE IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A FORMER MBR S DEATH TO BE ATTIBUTED TO HIS OR HER MIL SVC, CF MBRS WHO RELEASE FROM THE REG F, PRIMARY RES, CIC OR CDN RANGERS, OR TRANSFER TO THE SUPP RES, AFTER 31 DEC 06 ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING THEIR DESIGNATION FORM UPDATED. ADDITIONAL INFO IS AVAL FROM VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA, HONOURS AND AWARDS SECTION, 66 SLATER STREET, OTTAWA, ON K1A OP4, PHONE AT 1-877-995-5003 
7. THE DESIGN AND METHOD OF PRESENTATION OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL NOT CHANGE 
8. THE 1950 OIC WILL CONTINUE TO APPLY TO MBRS WHO DIE,RELEASE FROM THE CF OR TRANSFER TO SUPP RES ON OR BEFORE 31 DEC 06

Rest in peace, troop.  :salute: :cdn:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, loved ones and comrades of Cpl. Megeney. 

Another blog entry by my hubby that has been blessed by the PAffO...

I think it is best served in this thread...

A deployment to Afghanistan for myself has been one of many firsts.  This past week saw one I had hoped to never experience.  It was my first ramp ceremony.  All available Canadians- soldiers, and civilian collected at the airfield.  There was conversation and light banter, and an avoidance to discuss the reason we all gathered.

The sun had set a while ago but it was still warm, relatively so.  There was a continuous breeze blowing, and if you believe in such things it could have easily been taken as prophetic.  We gathered and formed with a bit more purpose than I’ve usually seen of large groups of soldiers gathering, there was little complaining, little noise.

Things progressed quickly and soon we found ourselves on the march to take our positions.  We made the solemn, and quiet march through the hazy darkness. The only sound was the mild and continuous wind in my ears, and the muffled staccato of hundreds of combat boots on the tarmac.  We marched from the weak light of the hanger through the darkness towards the looming brightly lit beacon that was the Hercules waiting.

As we Canadians formed, tightly packed, shoulder-to-shoulder-to-shoulder three deep in a long line, we formed a corridor that would act as the final Kandahar road for a fallen comrade.  As we shuffled into position, quietly, reverently I heard something that surprised me; though it shouldn’t have.  Row after row of soldiers from other countries, marines, Brits, Aussies, Dutch all formed row after row behind us.

I was positioned in the front rank about 30 feet from the yawning open end of the Herc. We waited for what seemed an eternity, lined at attention.  The precision, formality, and ambiance reminded me of ancient Viking tributes, or final tributes to fighting Kings. It made me think in that moment, that it is only in death we soldiers, we average Canadian men and women are Kings and Queens, if only to our peers. 

Then there was a whine from a microphone, as it itself caught the wind.  The Padres spoke their lines, and they were no longer the trivial platitudes of Remembrance Day of yesteryear. The words reverberated, and stuck. They were quick, efficient, and articulate.

The emotion was thick and palpable. And then the command sang out. “Task Force Afghanistan to your Fallen Comrade salute.”

I have always been moved by the haunting skirl of the bagpipes, but hearing it here, under these circumstances was like an emotional punch in the gut.  I think we all stood there steeling ourselves, but still the weight of it hits you like a tidal wave.  It was a slow moving tsunami that started at the far end of the lines, and then progressed as the slow cadence brought another Nova Scotian son his last 500 meters across Kandahar Airfield. The procession was slow, as if purposely driving the point home, building and building. I watched the Padres, then the coffin itself pass in front of me, so close that I could have reached out and touched it. Then world was then like a kaleidoscope, colour and light blurry and refracted. The wave passed me by then, and I hitched in a deep breath.  A few minutes later there were the muffled footsteps inside the belly of the aircraft.

I watched the faces of those across from me. Many of which I knew were like me, and did not know Cpl Megeny.  But he was Canadian, he was young, and he may only be the first of our rotation. So, there etched on many face were grim looks, made even more fierce in the weird shadows cast by the spotlights, and there were the telltale glistening sparkles of tears in eyes and cheeks.

You haven’t seen anything until you have seen soldiers cry. I hope I never see it again.

SUBJECT: HALF MASTING - CORPORAL KEVIN MEGENEY 
REF: CANFORGEN 077/06 261450Z APR 06

1. ALL FLAGS IN TFA, NOVA SCOTIA HIGHLANDERS REGIMENT, CEFCOM, AND
NDHQ (101 COLONEL BY ONLY) ARE TO BE FLOWN AT HALF-MAST, EFFECTIVE
IMMEDIATELY, UNTIL SUNSET ON THE DAY OF THE FUNERAL (TBC), TO HONOUR
CORPORAL MEGENEY, WHO DIED WHILE ON DUTY ON 06 MAR 07 IN
AFGHANISTAN. 

2. ALL FLAGS AT ALL CLS ESTABLISHMENTS ARE TO BE FLOWN AT HALF-MAST,
FROM SUNRISE UNTIL SUNSET ON THE DAY OF THE FUNERAL. IF THE HUMAN
REMAINS ARE TO BE INTERRED AT A DATE FOLLOWING THE FUNERAL, FLAGS
WILL ALSO BE FLOWN AT HALF-MAST FROM SUNRISE TO SUNSET ON THE DAY OF
INTERMENT. 

3. THIS MESSAGE DOES NOT APPLY TO SHIPS AT SEA

4. QUESTIONS MAY BE DIRECTED TO THE NATIONAL DEFENCE COMMAND CENTRE
AT (613) 945-5551

My condolences to Cpl. Megeney’s family and friends.

Thank you CdnArtyWife for posting your husbands thoughts on the Ramp Ceremony, my son was a pallbearer and this was very moving. Keep up the good work guys, remember all the good times with Kevin, you are all in our thoughts!

Here is a website made for Cpl Megeney by his older sister. 

It has a tribute video, pictures, info about him etc.  Very touching.

http://www.cplmegeney.piczo.com/?cr=4&rfm=y

You can pass along thoughts and condolences to the Megeney family at the following e-mail address:

crowther1962@eastlink.ca

CAW, thank you for your husband's thoughts and words
There are tears in my wife's and my eyes.
It brings home the closeness of military family.    :'(
:salute:
:cdn:

Back