• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl Kevin Megeney NSH - 06 March 2007

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends.... :salute:

CF Statement....

One Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
News release, CEFCOM NR–07.004, 6 Mar 07

OTTAWA – Corporal Kevin Megeney, a reserve member of the 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders, serving at Kandahar Airfield, succumbed to a gunshot wound shortly after 7 p.m. Kandahar time today. His next of kin have been notified.

No further details are available at this time regarding the circumstances surrounding this incident, although enemy action has been ruled out, since the incident occurred within the secure confines of Kandahar Airfield.

Joint Task Force Afghanistan’s National Investigation Service Detachment is investigating this incident.

The thoughts and prayers of the men and women of the Canadian Forces go out to the family and friends of the deceased.

–30–

NOTE TO EDITOR:
A photograph of Cpl. Megeney will be posted on the Combat Camera Website as soon as it becomes available: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/ search under the last name.

Canadian soldier killed in accidental shooting in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 | 4:14 PM ET
CBC News

A soldier from Nova Scotia died Tuesday after being accidentally shot while in his tent at the military base in Kandahar, Afghanistan, CBC News has confirmed.

The soldier, Cpl. Kevin Megeney, was shot in the chest, the family told CBC News on Tuesday.

Cpl. Kevin Megeney, shown in an undated photo, was a 25-year-old reservist from Stellarton, N.S., who volunteered to go to Afghanistan in the fall.Cpl. Kevin Megeney, shown in an undated photo, was a 25-year-old reservist from Stellarton, N.S., who volunteered to go to Afghanistan in the fall.
    (DND)

The Defence Department would only confirm that Megeney died of a gunshot wound shortly after 7 p.m. local time.

"Enemy action has been ruled out, since the incident occurred within the secure confines of Kandahar airfield," the Defence Department said in a news release.

Military officials are investigating the incident, the release said.

The 25-year-old, a reservist from Stellarton, volunteered to go to Afghanistan in the fall as part of the militia with 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders.
Continue Article

Family members told the CBC that the military said Megeney was killed by "friendly fire."

His sister, Lisa Megeney, told the Canadian Press that the family received a call Tuesday morning from someone at the base.

They were told that he had been shot in his left lung, but was still alive.

"He was yelling for someone to call his mother," she told the Canadian Press.

Later, the family was told that he had died.

Megeney said her younger brother was excited to be going to the war-torn country, despite fears amongst family members that he might be injured.

"He said that he was going to help people," she said. "He wanted to turn things around, so the Afghanis could live like we live.… He took so much pride in it."

Shortly before he left for Afghanistan, Kevin Megeney was at a rally in New Glasgow to support Canadian troops.

He told the CBC that he appreciated so many people showing up at the event.

"It's completely overwhelming," he said. "I was amazed by the amount of support that we received. It really hits home when you see the people come out like this."

Since 2002, 45 Canadian soldiers and a diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan.

Canadians owe these 'part-timers' a lot more gratitude then they're receiving.  If anything good can come from Cpl Megeney's death perhaps the Reserve personnel will eventually receive the proper thanks for their sacrifices for this country.

Condolences to those he leaves behind.

Happydiver said:
Canadians owe these 'part-timers' a lot more gratitude then they're receiving.  If anything good can come from Cpl Megeney's death perhaps the Reserve personnel will eventually receive the proper thanks for their sacrifices for this country.

Condolences to those he leaves behind.

I don't think this comment has anything to do with this thread...not sure where it is coming from but I think that "part timers" who have been killed in A'stan have been treated with the same dignity as everyone else.  If you have a complaint about the way reservist are treated start your own thread and leave it out of a thread where condolonces are being passed on

Canadians owe these 'part-timers' a lot more gratitude then they're receiving

Appreciate the sentiment mate but I don't feel reservists are recieving less gratitude than they are due.
I was personally overwelmed at the support from Canadians across Canada and from my home town.

My heart goes out to the family of this soldier. There is always something about accidents and friendly fire that adds an extra element of loss.

I'm curious why the first piece of concrete information about the shooting was that he was a reservist.

Kevin was an amazing guy, one of the best guys to have around when morale was down, he was funny, quick thinking and a great soldier. It was such a moral boost when Kevin around and, I'm really going to miss hanging out with him.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Kev!!!

Moderator Warning

Note to all,

This is a condolance thread. Keep it that way or find yourself on the warning ladder. You want to post a tangent, take it elsewhere.

Enough said.

The Army.ca Staff

Edit: Typo

RIP  :salute:

Combat deaths are bad -- but deaths of due to accidents are the worst.

:salute: I served briefly with Cpl. Megeney in the 1st Nova Scotia Highlanders, I joined and was away on basic so did not get to know him well before he started training for his mission. I am currently serving in Edmonton but the Highlanders are and always will be my family, RIP Cpl. Megeney

My thoughts go out to my unit in Nova Scotia and to Cpl Megeney's family and friends. God Bless.

My thoughts are also with others from 1NSH that must go on during this loss and to all those serving.

My thoughts and prayers are with the rest of the unit and sincerest and heartfelt sympathies for the family of Cpl. Megeney's family and friends.  And to all the amazing soldiers over there, thank you and Godspeed.  You really are the BEST !!!  :cdn: :salute:

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends...Cpl. Megeney you will not be forgotten

I would also like to add that my thoughts and prayers are with whomever the person may be that was in charge of the weapon that discharged. This type of incident is a heavy burden to bear.

Also, my thoughts are with all the CF members in KAF, suddenly we have realized that the relative "safety" of their tents within the compound should not be taken for granted. I was always aware of this, but let myself get caught up.

Regards and condolances,

CAW

edit: typo

Back