• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contemplating Reg Force...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seyek

Reaction score
First of all, I did a search, and didn't find anything quite relating to my specific situation. I presently attend the University of Guelph, I'm in first year. I did a short stint in the reserves (basically, BMQ/SQ and Stalwart Guardian in '05) and released soon after due to personal issues. I maintain that releasing was the absolute worst decision of my life, and everyday I continue to think about the military and serving. I gave serious consideration to going reg force for a single 3 year contract after high school, but was shut down rather forcibly by my father. Thus far, while I can do everything in university, I find I simply have no desire. I continute to think about the military, and am now considering dropping out of uni and going reg force for a few years (infantry). My thinking presently is finish off this year of uni, then go reg force for three years, then go back to uni. I'm going to ask my course counsellor about whether or not I could get back into school later on, but I think I should be able to (already know a few people who started uni a few years after high school, even a few full fledged adults who've come back to school for a degree). Then I would simply go reserves after my time in reg force. Coincidentally, the money I save up from serving can be put towards school costs.

My question is, do you ladies and gents think this is a good idea, and does anyone have any similar experience?

personally,

Why don't you finish uni and go into a Pres unit?

you would finish uni and be part of a military organisation, thus getting better part of both.

I know I was stupid enough to leave school after high school, now? 15 years later, i have a hotel clerk course and an computer assistance course. result? I sell computer as one of my job : Crappy job I hate it.
Second job: I'm a security agent : pays well but when I'm outside with a temperature like today  -38 with wind factor : less funny.

I would kill to go back in time an go to university.

Don't leave it...it will be so hard to get back afterward.

I will tell you this. DO NOT DROP OUT OF SCHOOL. Funny thing, because that's what I usually say to HS students. The reason why is this. Unless you know that you will have the discipline to come back to school afterwards, you're better off finishing school off NOW. After a basic stint in the RegF (which if you've done some reading will realise is not that basic anymore) you will have a completely different look and take on life. If you do a tour in the box, which you most likely will if you want Inf. you WILL have a different look on life. Many people do come back to uni/college afterwards, but hey, they have a tough time balancing school and work and family. Not saying that they don't do brilliantly, but they do struggle. Stay in school, go back to PRes, and go from there. Do a component transfer after you finish off uni. It'll be better for you if that's the way you want to go. This is just advice...

I agree with the Pres idea, you still serve..sorta, and you are subsidized by your unit.  They pay up to 8000 I think.  Another idea if you really want to go reg, but don't want to throw school out the window, is to do the whole ROTP thing.  You go to Kingston and get a degree; not to mention a paycheck, though small, it still beats dishing out cash paying for tuition, and at the same time you are serving full time and contributing towards your pension and time in.  However, if you really want to go infantry, well.. go infantry.  I don't know about the Army side of things, but I'm sure officers get to see some action too.  Maybe someone else can clarify and elaborate on that one. 

Either way, do what makes you happy.  Just keep in mind that school will get you certain places that those without it can't go.  That applies for a career in the military or on civie street. 
Good Luck :)

There is already a million threads that go "dont quit schol...blah blah balh......."

army.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back