• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Construction Technician (merged)

I am posted to an AEF in Comox and our carpenters are UBER busy with projects...PM me if you have any more questions. I'm the training/ops NCO.

Hey All... I posted this in the air force section as well, but am not sure if i will be remustering to army or air force... any input would be appreciated

I wrote a while back as to weather or not to become an ATIS tech or Construction tech with a compulsorary remuster from the navy... Well I have decided on construction tech and I was wondering if anybody could give me an outlook as to what I can expect. I have heard that the 3's are done in gagetown and that they last approximately 9 months. I am unconfirmed on this and would love some input from you all. Also as to my first posting and my 5's etc... I am an east coaster (why I joined the navy) and I was wondering how much chance I had of staying in the East (NB or NS). I know that everything is up yo the career manager, but I would just like a sence of where things stand with the trade and whether or not I am going to end up in Dundurn (not that there is anything wrong with that...) I would prefer to stay in Halifax if I could but, don't know if that is realistic. I was thinking maybe gagetown and I also heard that there is a pretty big contingent in Moncton. Any input would be great. 
Thanks
Shawn

The courses will be done at CFSME Construction Engineer Training Squadron (CETS), and Construction and Airfield Engineer Squadron (CAES).

CETS is responsible for training the construction tradespeople up to QL5. This includes MOC 641 (Refrigeration & Mechanical Tech), 642 (Electrical Distribution Tech), 643 (Electrical Generation Systems Tech), 646 (Plumbing & Heating Tech), 647 (Water, Fuels & Environmental Tech), and 648 (Construction Tech). CAES is responsible for training MOC 649 (Construction Engineer Superintendent) and MOC 46 (Airfield Engineer officer), as well as for instructing other Military Engineer MOCs on support to airfields and infrastructure management.

You could try to get posted to CE in Windsor Park - they have a small military section there.  You could always go see the boys there and ask them what to expect - they tend to be a friendly bunch with lots of advice..

Don't get me wrong, but Willow park is a few feet away from Windsor park. The CE people in Willow park have helped my old office get many items worked out real quick.  Good folks every one of them.

kratz said:
Don't get me wrong, but Willow park is a few feet away from Windsor park. The CE people in Willow park have helped my old office get many items worked out real quick.  Good folks every one of them.

Dang - knew I would switch them again.  Always had that problem even when I worked there.

First off you can expect to work.  Not that other trades don't but one thing I find about being a CT is that there is always something to do.  Always something to build or a project on the bench to be worked on.
As for your training it is 9-10 months long for your 3's but you do learn alot and are pretty much ready to work when you get to your unit.
If you have any specific questions put 'em up I can answer them here on via PM if you rather.

Cheers
BernDawg
"Woodbutcher"

Well I figured i could start a Thread for people to either ask questions or talk shop, lets see how it flies.

Been a carpenter Since 2003, i have alot to learn like everyone, but i have alot of knowledge to share as well.

Chimo!

Anyone know how the Construction Technician trade is? Pros & Cons? I'd like to hear for someone in the job?

greydak said:
Anyone know how the Construction Technician trade is? Pros & Cons? I'd like to hear for someone in the job?

Hope this helps:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/81628/post-782857.html#msg782857
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/25654/post-153401.html#msg153401

Hey NFLD SPR, been const tech since 2001 transferred from combat engineer reserve. Air Force posting right now and not particularly enjoying but still livable. Been on tour yet? We are finally getting decent deployment wise with my shop but promotion made me miss the boat... can't have it all I guess. Would be nice to get over there before the party is over... even on a TAV... but I would need to be with 14 or 192 for that!

Hey forum readers, after 5 years in the infantry I have decided it was time to try something new so I took advantage of the SVOTP program and transferred to Construction Tech (Not Combat engineer). It was my first choice but I have terrible colour vision, and I didn't really have much to choose from, but it sounds like a good go.

So I tried a search on this (I hear this place if famous for telling people to use the search feature) and I couldn't come up with anything on the course it's self. If anyone can tell me what the course is like that would be appreciated. Obviously I am not looking forward to living in shacks and marching around and getting inspected again and what not, but will we be confined to barracks on weekdays? Thats the kind of stuff I would like to know ahead of time.

Thanks.

The QL3 is taught in Halifax NS.....They go to the local NSCC.

And they don't march around. TN drives them to the school each day. Plus they get box lunches. And week ends off.

Tough life huh? ;D

Sounds pretty decent, can't complain about any of that.. but I think I am going to Gagetown for my course, it's an airforce trade.

Yes the main school is in Gagetown. But they go down to Halifax for their training. And down there, you"ll be staying on an air force base.

CalgaryCanuck said:
but I think I am going to Gagetown for my course, it's an airforce trade.

FYI, Gagetown is primarily an army base.

CalgaryCanuck said:
.. it's an airforce trade.

It's actually Air Force AND Army.

http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-95

All DP1 CE type trades (CE, RM, EGS, etc) CAN be taught at NSCC, however that is only done when CFSME is full of other courses. DP1 only, all others are taught at CFSME.

We have limited real estate and can only run so many courses at the same time (same as every other school really), however intake for these courses in the recent past (and for the foreseeable future) has been greater than CFSME capacity, hence the contract with NSCC for overflow.

Wook

I am a Carpenter looking at joining the 192 engineering flight. 

How much training beyond a Journeyman's ticket does a construction tech require to complete their trades training?  Are there any guidelines one could expect for advancement (I am interested in getting some leadership training under my belt)?

pfinlayson said:
  Are there any guidelines one could expect for advancement (I am interested in getting some leadership training under my belt)?

You need to gain experience in the military context and prove you have leadership potential and earn your way up. Advancement is merit based and competitive.

Back