• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

PuckChaser said:
What if they say no? You've already signed the dotted line... IMO this is a backdoor way to get IR and probably won't look good on you.

Depends on the reasons.  First year IR is to be approved by the gaining CO or Commander.  Not the Career Manager.

PuckChaser said:
What if they say no? You've already signed the dotted line... IMO this is a backdoor way to get IR and probably won't look good on you.

I can't apply for IR from the gaining unti CO before I "sign on the dotted line."  I can't do anything at this point without a posting message - don't even know my chain yet.  Planning unaccompanied move until the 6 month period is up.  If my family is able to move with me at that point, great.  Otherwise IR application. Nothing "backdoor" about it.

I got my confirmation email today and another email saying I need to schedule an interview at the CFRC. Yay progress!

Hatchet Man said:
If you put in last month, you definately won't hear anything for a while 1) the xmas leave block, people are only now  all coming back to work and catching up.  2)Most trades are closed until the new fiscal year anyways.

Also, the D Mil C 7 deadline for all PSO shops to have files for all the OT/In Service Selection programs (NCM and Officer) was 15 Jan 12.  With initial offers being scheduled for 01 Mar 12 for the FY 12/13 OTs, I'd say its a safe bet that particular bunch of folks are very busy right now and will be leading up to the Selection Boards, and the follow-on work required to hit that 01 Mar date for the initial round of offers.

In short; be patient.  Its a busy time for them in the FY last quarter and I would assume this will affect CT progress as well.

Eye In The Sky said:
Also, the D Mil C 7 deadline for all PSO shops to have files for all the OT/In Service Selection programs (NCM and Officer) was 15 Jan 12.  With initial offers being scheduled for 01 Mar 12 for the FY 12/13 OTs, I'd say its a safe bet that particular bunch of folks are very busy right now and will be leading up to the Selection Boards, and the follow-on work required to hit that 01 Mar date for the initial round of offers.

In short; be patient.  Its a busy time for them in the FY last quarter and I would assume this will affect CT progress as well.

Ah ok I wasn't aware of that. Though I wasn't really expecting anything much to happen for me in the FY 12/13 since I know there's a huge line of people ahead of me. Still, at least the ball is rolling.

Its just general info for people to consider.  Keep doing what you are doing, just realize that lots of stuff is happening in that org concurrently and they are not exactly over-staffed.

When I was posted last year my Outgoing CO supported my IR request but the Base Commander where I was heading to had to approve it. Incoming CO was not even in the equation. CANFORGEN 32/11 (?) from Feb 2011.

emanthal said:
Hey Folks.  I'm about to transfer over from PRes to RegF and I have a couple questions that I hope someone here can answer for me. My Transfer Date is 6 Feb, and COS date is 7 Feb.  I do not have my posting message yet (another issue altogether).  I've been told that I will start being paid as a RegF member as of my Transfer Date.  So 2 questions:

1.  Is that true.
2.  If I negotiate my Report for Duty (RFD) date 30 days to the right as I'm entitled to do, am I still being paid for that 30 days leading up to my RFD date?

I'm hoping to iron out these details before I give my current civi employer a departure date - as I don't want to have a gap in pay.

Cheers

This is a reoccurring issue. You can't sort your stuff out with Brooksfield until you get a posting message. Your posting message only comes out around 5 days before your COS date- which obviously doesn't give you enough time to get anything done.

What you could do is have your current BOR email your gaining unit and ask them to ask your gaining unit (their BOR will know who to ask) to change your report date 29 days to the right.

This means that your reg force date is the 6th of Feb (or whatever) but you don't need to report to your unit until 29 days from that date if it's approved.
-In the mean time you would report to your reserve unit during the week. They may put you to work or they may send you home. Your COS date won't change so you'll still be paid starting that day.

I'm not sure what you mean by sign the dotted line?  If the regular force made an offer and you accepted then that's you accepting the contract, isn't it?

You can still have your BOR email your gaining units BOR and request that they email the CO and request that you go on IR.
Brooksfield needs to know if you'll be on IR or not.

Grimaldus said:
You can still have your BOR email your gaining units BOR and request that they email the CO and request that you go on IR.
Brooksfield needs to know if you'll be on IR or not.

My mistake, not the CO, the Commander is the approving authority (whether Area, Base, whatever) and not via email.  Most places have a form that must be filled out and they may or may not require a memo.

For example, I'm in Toronto; my request went to the ASU Commander, through my CO (of the losing unit).

From CBI 209.997 IR will be only approved for the following:

a. domestic disruption – uprooting the family outside the active posting season;

b. educational disruption – moving dependant children during an academic year or a period of educational instruction;

c. financial disruption – the requirement to break a lease, inability to sell or rent a home or disruption of employment of a spouse or common-law partner;

d. medical or dental complications – interference with specialized medical or dental treatment for dependants;

e. complications due to courses – the member is posted on a course;

f. insufficient posting notice – less than 90 days notice of a posting; and

g. approach of Compulsory Retirement Age (CRA) – the member is within two years of CRA.

Well, I guess mine would have fallen under f.  I notice there's no "service spouse not posted" option.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Well, I guess mine would have fallen under f.  I notice there's no "service spouse not posted" option.  ::)

As I recall, properly speaking, service spouses separated due to service requirements aren't considered to be on IR, but are entiteld to Separation Expense and related benefits.

However, since everyone uses IR and SE interchangably it's no surprise that there is confusion.

dapaterson said:
As I recall, properly speaking, service spouses separated due to service requirements aren't considered to be on IR, but are entiteld to Separation Expense and related benefits.

However, since everyone uses IR and SE interchangably it's no surprise that there is confusion.

Yes, you're right but tell that to the CM (or almost anyone else).  I had to request IR and had to fill out an IR form.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.    ;)

Thanks everyone for the imput. If I don't get in by the start of the next school year i'll just do a 5th year of highschool well trying to get as many courses as possible to help my application. Now for the waiting game...  ;D

Hi  :)
I'm a naval reservist in Toronto (00166 MUSN) and I was enrolled in June 2011
and completed my BMQ during the 2011 summer.
I'm 19, a highschool graduate with gr 12 average 91% and currently attending university studying International Relations.
I've basically fell in love with the military after BMQ experience and my hopeful plan is this:

Finish my QL3, QL4, National Band Naval Reserve during the entire summer of 2012 (will be promoted to Leading Seaman).
Transfer as soon as it's possible to regular force (army preferred).
Serve as an NCM
After years of service, aim for UTPNCM to become an officer.
Serve for life.
(fingers crossed).

But first of all, I know that I have to start my CT-OT process as soon as possible because it takes a loooong time...
(I'm expecting a year or much more... With the security clearance and all....)

So, this Wednesday, I'm going to go in during admin night to:
request CT-OT to regular force
commence my security clearance lvl 2 or lvl 3.

The trades that I've been research a whole lot about and considering are:
Infantry soldier
Armoured soldier
Intelligence Operator (army)

I'm leaning more towards INT-OP vs ARMOURED.
The reason being that infantry already has more than enough
and I know that there are tons of experienced PRes Infanteers that has been waiting for years for component transfer....

These are my concerned with the two targeted trades.

INT-OP
I know that being a ncm in the CF already doing CT makes me relatively a good pick(?)
but I'm concerned that spots opening in April 2012 are limited
and that there would be INT-OP applicants that already hold a university degree or college diploma.

I do have INT-OP's desired assets as I speak fluent Korean, English, and French (oral, reading, and writing).
I've experienced a lot of multiculturalism as I've traveled to Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Hong Kong, Australia, Japan,
and live in Korea for 10 years of my youth.
My primary interest and skill lies in languages, international relations, different people and cultures all around the world.
Which is why I felt that INT-OP was a suitable for me.

Do I have a chance of being transferred to Intelligence Operator even though I'm just a high school graduate and have no experience as an intelligence operator in the naval reserves?

Another concern regarding INT-OP is that the required security clearance level is 3.
I've read in the forum that for that high level of clearance, the entire process could take up to 3 years... Is that true?
If the CT-OT will take more than 3 years... I would move on to find my luck in the armoured corps.

ARMOURED SOLDIER

After researching, I get a feeling that I might have a better chance of being offered a spot in armoured as opposed to INT-OP...
This for the reason that I am a fitness freak and I love to better myself in physical abilities.
Also, going through security clearance lvl 2 would take a shorter amount of time compared to INT-OP
which means that IF the door to armoured opens up at April 2012 and I have my component transfer through,
I may have a chance of being transferred to the Reg F before 2013, which is a marvelous news for me!
However, as this trade is of the combat arms (which seems to attract men looking for job immensely),
I know that it is very competitive and in similar situation as the infantry.
Does anyone know how Armoured is doing with the preferred manning level vs recruitment? Will it open up in April 2012? Or will I most likely be waiting for April 2013?...

Cheers,

You would be best advised to look at the topics we have already set up on Component Transfers from the Reserve to Regular Force.  A quick look at this site and you will find all those topics.

A quick answer to one of your questions:  you are not going to be able to do a CT and OT to Int Op.  The Int Branch is only giving CTs to trained Int Ops, preferably those with Tours.

Promoted to LS in less then 3-4 years?

I thought 2 and a half years for AB and then after having all your qualifications and even more time in then you'll get promoted to LS?

kimbrian said:
Finish my QL3, QL4, National Band Naval Reserve during the entire summer of 2012 (will be promoted to Leading Seaman).
Transfer as soon as it's possible to regular force (army preferred).
Serve as an NCM
After years of service, aim for UTPNCM to become an officer.
Serve for life.
(fingers crossed).

Back