• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comox Thread- Merged

Hi im an AVS tech posted to 407 SQN Comox. Just a few ? ie. What is the atmosphere there like, what are the shifts, how are my chances to travel and if anybody knows (appox) how long i will be there before my course in Greenwood.Thank-you

Atmosphere... as in the weather? It's usually pretty nice. Rains every now and again, gets hot-but-not-too-hot, nor is it humid. Atmosphere as in working environment... so long as you get the job done, don't stress about work environment.

For official purposes, there's a few chances to travel here or there. Op Connection details happen every now and again, and they always like having people to volunteer. You get a few days TD plus a few nights in a nice hotel. If you're sitting around doing nothing, it's a good way to entertain yourself and get word of the CF out. There's some other taskings out, WASF, etc. Get networking, and keep an eye on the BBS. Lots of fun to be had for those who want it.

For your own purposes, there's plenty of places to travel to. Tofino is about 3 hours away, which has some nice beaches, good surfing, yadda yadda. If you're looking for something more touristy, Victoria and Vancouver are both about 4 hours away, and have plenty of tourist attractions. There's a Greyhound station in Courtenay which has service to Tofino and to Van/Vic. One-way to Vancouver is pretty reasonable at less than $50, but be advised that a cab from the shacks to the station is $25.

Locally, there's Mt. Washington, AF Beach, Glacier Gardens Golf, Comox Glacier, and more. Go chat up the people at the MFRC, they should have a decent list of things to do around here.

Just got back from Victoria, I know it's now Comox but weather wise Vancouver Island is great not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter.

Just curious are you a new tech because I was thinking of CTing to AVN and would kill to get posted to Comox on my first posting, loved the island so much and am an avid skier.

Eye In The Sky said:
Sounds like my kind of place!  Except I am a 'whackfuck' golfer  ;D
There's a whole shitload of par 3 courses around here for ya.  ;)

AEC Kapp said:
For official purposes, there's a few chances to travel here or there. Op Connection details happen every now and again, and they always like having people to volunteer. You get a few days TD plus a few nights in a nice hotel. If you're sitting around doing nothing, it's a good way to entertain yourself and get word of the CF out. There's some other taskings out, WASF, etc. Get networking, and keep an eye on the BBS. Lots of fun to be had for those who want it.

The OP will get plenty of travel and most of it will have nothing to do with OP CONNECTION. A technician at 407 will rapidly find himself in Hawaii, San Diego, Shemya, Palm Springs and several other nice locations as we take technicians on almost all the trips.

Klinkaroo said:
Vancouver Island is great not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter.

The Cowichan Valley can be a killer in the summer, 45.7 was the hottest it got in my backyard so far this summer (according to my handy digital temperature machine, it was 37 out front in the shade). 

Hi all,

I'm about to be posted to 407 Sqn and looking for a 1-bed condo in/around Comox/Courtenay or south of there...any recommendations?

Dimsum said:
Hi all,

I'm about to be posted to 407 Sqn and looking for a 1-bed condo in/around Comox/Courtenay or south of there...any recommendations?

PM me, theres quite a few for sale on my street alone.

Just thought I'd say hi to all you people in Comox, as I am on my QL3's in Borden and found out I will be posted there. I'm an MSE Op and should be there about April.
I was very happy to get my first posting choice since I grew up on the mainland, looking forward to moving there with my fiancee!

Cheers!

Glad you got your first choice and good luck to you and your young family embarking on a rewarding career.!      :cdn:

..you'll be delivering box lunches for the pilots and base mail in no time!
  Seriously,lol
Awesome posting though!!!!!

CallOfDuty said:
..you'll be delivering box lunches for the pilots

What ? The flight engineers, navigators, AES Ops and SAR Techs don't get box lunches ?

CallOfDuty said:
..you'll be delivering box lunches for the pilots and base mail in no time!
  Seriously,lol
Awesome posting though!!!!!

Ha that will probably be true... I'm told i could be driving the refullers and some SNIC. Either way I'll be a happy camper.
If you have any info about living at this base i'd love to hear it!

...just checked the weather for Comox.....+8 Degrees!!!!  Good SNIC weather ;D

Supra said:
Ha that will probably be true... I'm told i could be driving the refullers and some SNIC. Either way I'll be a happy camper.
If you have any info about living at this base i'd love to hear it!

Are you in the PMQ's or in the shacks?

I'm not too sure.... I may be in the shacks at first, I am trying to be registered as commonlaw and if that goes through then probably PMQ if one is available. Rent is pretty cheap compared to the mainland so that's also an option.

Yeah i'm sure my SNIC duties will be keeping me up for a long time  ;D
I assume there will be trips down to Esquimalt, but since it's an island there aren't that many place to go ha.

Government Of Canada Modernizing Defence Infrastructure At 19 Wing Comox

NR -10.100 - September 7, 2010

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3527

COMOX, B.C. – The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced defence infrastructure projects that will help modernize facilities at 19 Wing Comox, including a new health services centre and work on existing facilities. Improvements to this base, which is home to two operational squadrons for Long Range Patrol and Search and Rescue, represent an investment of approximately $30 million and will generate economic benefits and significant employment opportunities throughout the course of the work.

“I am proud to announce that our government is continuing to invest in our men and women in uniform,” said Minister MacKay. “This important infrastructure investment embodies our government’s commitment to the health and well-being of our Canadian Forces, and to the creation of economic opportunities for Canadians across the country.”

Within the next year, 19 Wing Comox will see the completion of the new health services centre.  The 4,066 m2 health care facility will provide comprehensive medical and dental services for the military members at the base, which currently has a population of almost 1,000 military and 300 civilian personnel.

Minister MacKay also announced the completed construction of an addition to an existing base building for the Wing Auxiliary Security Force (WASF) operations centre and the Small Arms Trainer (SAT) facility. This facility provides the additional space required to continue ongoing training at 19 Wing Comox of Military Police (MP), Wing Auxiliary Security Force (WASF) personnel, and deployed personnel through the Readiness Training Flight (RTF).

The Government of Canada conducted open, fair, transparent and competitive processes in order to award the contracts for the projects at 19 Wing Comox.

The Department of National Defence holds a large number of properties all across the country to support the Canadian Forces, including some 21,000 buildings, 2.25 million hectares of land, 5,500 km of roads, and 3,000 km of water, storm, and sewer pipes.

-30-

Notes to editor / news director: For further information please see the fact sheets on defence infrastructure at 19 Wing Comox at http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=18.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3528

Defence Infrastructure Projects At 19 Wing Comox

September 7, 2010

Constructing new defence infrastructure is in line with the Canada First Defence Strategy, which sets a detailed road map for the modernization of the Canadian Forces. New infrastructure will help replace dated defence infrastructure and support a first-class, modern military that is ready to take on the challenges of the 21st century.

Projects announced September 7 are:

Construction of a new Health Services Centre

This project will see the construction of a single, purpose-built, 4,066 m2 Health Services Centre at 19 Wing Comox. The project also includes the demolition of the existing health care facility at the wing. The overall project value, inclusive of taxes, is approximately $27 million. Construction began in summer 2010 and is anticipated to be completed in late 2011.

Wing Auxiliary Security Force Addition to Building 194

The project moved the Wing Auxiliary Security Force (WASF) operations centre and the Small Arms Trainer (SAT) facility, to a new addition to the Military Police (MP) Operations Centre, B194. The addition is a one-storey wood frame structure with a facility for the SAT, a classroom/training area, and lockers and storage for WASF equipment. The project also provides necessary structural and electrical/controls upgrades to the existing facility to provide for this and future expansions. The overall project value, inclusive of taxes, is approximately

$2.8 million. This project began in August 2009 and was completed in May 2010.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3529

comox-HSC.jpg

Rendition of the Health Services Centre at 19 Wing Comox

The construction of a new health services centre will provide comprehensive medical and dental services for the 19 Wing Comox military members.

Specifications
Building Size:  4,066 m2 .
Construction Start Date: Construction began in summer 2010.
Construction Completion Date:  Construction is expected to be completed in late 2011.
Construction Contract:  The Government of Canada has awarded a $12 million contract to Island West Coast Developments of Nanaimo, B.C., through an open, fair, and transparent competitive process.

Good day,

I will be relocating to the Comox valley this spring.  Going through the list from IRPP they do not have rating for Realtors or Home inspectors.  So I would like to get some recommendation for Realtors and Home inspectors from members who have relocated to Comox.

I would like to say thanks in advanced for your assistance.

Dan Coutu
"Standing Against Fire"

The link below was my realtor when I was posted to Comox and I found her polite, knowledgeable and willing to work with you and your family to find the home you want or need.  Feel free to consider her on your quest for home buying.  I used her services on both the purchase and sale of my home in Courtenay. She would also have a list of reliable home inspectors as well.

http://www.karinuhomes.com/

Back