• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comox Thread- Merged

After talking to a few techs whom come from Comox about the work load compared to other bases and they agree. Over all the work load in Comox is far lighter then it is elsewhere.
I know where the statement about the instructors in Borden saying the work load is light compared to other bases, this due in part that a year ago Borden had a few guys posted in from Comox. And to their statements. Hence why the question was asked and worded the way it was.

So to answer your question with out all the redreick and belittling from people on here. Yes Comox is slower then other bases. But it can and will get busy during times of deployments and what not. Along with which Sqn you belong to.

Again answer a simple question with a pile of opinions that are not really well informed into the matter in which it was asked. For example If you are a pilot and you answer a tech question yet you really do not understand or know the actual answer then better to say I work long hours flying the plane. But not sure what the techs do then state I am busy so everyone else is as busy.

Wow another Airforce moment of welcoming a new person whom is actually motivated into answers, yet all they get is shot down and put down.

cp140tech said:
  I'm AVN in Greenwood, the guys who come out here on course or posting from Comox do not tell tales of a hectic work schedule.  I think they've only got 4 frames there, but I may be mistaken.  Generally when the aircrew is really busy, then we won't be because the planes are in the air. 

Those 4 frames I'm speaking of are the CP 140/A,  I'm not sure how many other aircraft make up their complement.

We dont have any CP-140A ( Arcturus)...........only CP-140 (Aurora)

Since the start of the year we have deployed technicians : 3 times to the dutch antillies, to Sigonella (italy) for 3 weeks, to JTFEX in San Diego, EER in San Diego......I stand by my statement that wether its aircrew or ground crew, its not slow by any means. We have 4 Auroras that are 26 years old...they are demanding airplanes to work on in the first place, nevermind now that they are ageing. This week we are deploying aircrew and ground crew to Alaska for 2 weeks and soon to Hawaii for a month, thats in addition to other comitments that always seem to come up.

Comox is a great place to work wether you work on SAR or MP aircraft.  The local area is second to none

I'm not saying it's slow, just not a run off your feet kind of environment.  I have yet to meet a single person who's actually worked on the Aurora in Comox who says it's busier there than in Greenwood.... and Greenwood isn't all that busy.  Have you spun any wrenches on the aircraft?

Hey guys.

Thanks for all your replies, this reasurres my future decisions for postings.
Golf all year round! haha...ya...excellent.
Just all i gota do is hope eh.
Cheers gents

Zoomie said:
Comox has its fair share of traffic and work-load.  The MP and SAR squadrons fly more operational missions than the fighter boys in CYOD.

Lord knows that we keep our techs very busy at 442.  We have six airframes of 1968 vintage that are always experiencing minor fixes or full out engine changes.  It is not unheard of for our techs to go on the road and fix the planes in rather austere locations - conducting a prop change with only some scaffolding and no hangar space.

Comox (and Vancouver Island) is the only place in Canada where golf courses do not close for the season.  In Comox you can ski a double black diamond, go fishing/sailing/kayaking/SCUBA and golf the back 9 - all in one day!

The Valley boasts all the amenities of "big cities" yet still has friendly deer that cross the street at designated crossings.  High school kids get very bored here - it is more of a adult orientated community.  I have heard that single guys do not do too well out here - unless highschool ladies are your thing.

So endeth the CYQQ sermon.

and unlike Vancouver, you can actually afford to do it!

Yes, but even that's getting harder to do (meant for those not very familiar to the area).  The guys that I've recently spoke to that were here for their HHT, really left shocked....and with empty pockets.  By no means are we Vancouver or Victoria, but over the last two years, we're financially moving that way rather quickly. 

Chimo!

I agree on that!
My friend bought his house back in Dec for 249..and now if he sells it he could sell it for 300. There is more and more people moving to the PMQ because they can't affort a house. The other option is a condo but still really expensive as far as I know.
Thats ot only for houses, my girlfriend wants to expand her business here in Comox and the price to get that new building is totally...insane.
cheers 

Well guys come up to Cold Lake where the prices are in or around the same as the Comox Valley. That coupled with you minds well drive to Edmonton to buy things and now you have a winner.

Yeah so I was told by the guys from 416 here at the QRA. Thats because of the oil companies over there.

This is ALL very comforting news, being that I am CTing to 226 and wondering where the AF will post me.  Maybe I can live in a box by the WCWOs house??  ;D

I'm sucked in..... Take a look @ prices in Cold Lake,suburb of Ft McMurray $$$ ! @ least we have a view.....and no snowblower

Justw ondering what the single's accomodations are like at CFB Comox....I'm heading there tommrow and the joining instructions s ay we'll be staying ther.e

I take it your barracks staff for the cadets there? The barracks you stay in are (initally) similar to ours, until they become unrecognizable masses of garbage, beer cans and clothes.

Probably the nicest quarters in the Forces, well appointed rooms, soft linens, and the galley... to die for.  These quarters are in the running for their "heritage " designation, and the word "character" should be used when describing them, as in "these rooms have character', or "living in these rooms builds character". Enjoy summer in the Comox Valley, and bring a fan.

Hi im an AVS tech posted to 407 SQN Comox. Just a few ? ie. What is the atmosphere there like, what are the shifts, how are my chances to travel and if anybody knows (appox) how long i will be there before my course in Greenwood.Thank-you

If you like Sking, Mountain biking, Golfing, Hiking and going to the beach you're going to love it out here.

The shift for servicing is 7 on 3 off 7 on 4 off.  There aren't any midnights, but they use an early shift to get the morning launches up... it depends on the flight schedule for the day as to when you're in.  Days 0700 ish to 1500 ish, evenings 1500  until 2300, unless you split down, these are approximate times, it seems to vary a bit.  I was only with 407 for a year and I spent it between maintenance and engine bay, so keep that in mind concerning my info.
Maintenance is 0700 - 1500.....  I have no idea if they're continuing with maintenance there or not, it was in a state of flux when I cleared out a few weeks ago. 
Most techs there really love the squadron and the area, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.  There are plenty of trips for qualified techs who want to travel. 
I won't speculate concerning time before your type training.  Is this your first posting out of the training system?

BernDawg said:
If you like Sking, Mountain biking, Golfing, Hiking and going to the beach you're going to love it out here.

Sounds like my kind of place!  Except I am a 'whackfuck' golfer  ;D

Back