• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commuting to base... ?distance

If you are looking to reside outside the geographical area, like everyone else here has said, you need permission through your chain of command. BUT- if you are looking to do a Brookfield/DCBA move they can try to deny your moving expenses/benefits. It has already been grieved and won that DCBA does not have that authority, your CO is your authority for this. If the CO says you are authorized to live outside the geographical area, DCBA DOES NOT have the authority to deny your benefits. FWIW

Do you have a ref for that or link to the grievance case?  When I did this, BGRS wouldn't move fwd until I had the blessing of DCBA.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch2.page#sec-02-06

2.6.02 Authority

CF members who wish to reside outside the established geographical boundaries of the new place of duty require the approval of the gaining unit Commanding Officer (CO).

The CO should consider the following:

the reasonable daily distance that can be traveled to and from the CF member's primary residence to the new place of duty; andCF member's ability to travel within established time limitations to the new place of duty when recalled.

Subsequent approval of DCBA is required to relocate the (D) HG&E.

2.6.03 Expenses

Expenses associated with the shipment of HG&E will be limited to costs associated with relocating within the established geographical boundaries of the place of duty.

Eye In The Sky said:
Expenses associated with the shipment of HG&E will be limited to costs associated with relocating within the established geographical boundaries of the place of duty.

How I read this is: if it costs $5000 to move your HG&E to someplace within the gerographical boundaries, and it would cost $6000 to move the HG&E to your residence which is outside the geographical boundaries, then the military will pay you $5000, and you're stuck witht he bill for the extra $1000.

CorrecT?

Lumber said:
How I read this is: if it costs $5000 to move your HG&E to someplace within the gerographical boundaries, and it would cost $6000 to move the HG&E to your residence which is outside the geographical boundaries, then the military will pay you $5000, and you're stuck witht he bill for the extra $1000.

CorrecT?

Exactly!

Lumber said:

CorrecT?

Well, not exactly. If you don't get the approval beforehand from DCBA, they may look at the policy and say, you didn't get approval first, you aren't entitled. There was a case here two years ago where the CO, who on poor advice from someone, approved a member to live 2 hours outside the geographical boundary. The member purchased a home, and then went in to book his move of HG&E. Brookfield said they needed DCBA approval before continuing, DCBA denied the request, justifying their response that 2 hours outside the geographical area was not a reasonable distance, and the CO erred in his decision.

In that case, the mbr jumped the gun on the purchase.  It's very important to take the time to read and understand the IRP policy.

Back