• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineer Question

JToyts

Inactive
Reaction score
I just had a question about the process to speciality training as a Combat Engineer. I am in the process of getting into the Canadian Forces as a Combat Engineer and I was wondering normally how long it takes to advance to speciality training as I want to do Explosive Ordinance Disposal. With that being said do you think my interest and want to be in that field that they would look at me as a better candidate since a lot of people tend to shy away from jobs like that?

Thanks

It is them but also Combat Engineers. I guess I'd have to ask the recruiter which one deals more with EOD

AFAIK, you have to finish BMQ, BMQ-L (SQ), and DP1 and have 1-2 years of on job experience before you can advance to any specialty training course in any trade.

However, to correct you on the "a lot of people tend to shy away from jobs like EOD" is totally the opposite of truth, EOD is one of the most desired specialty training in Combat Engineering, pretty much like Sniper course for Infantry. at least in my unit thats what i seem to gather, almost everyone would like to catch a chance at it.

p.s. i'm in Reserve, not Reg

Jtoyts, what regiment are you thinking? If EOD is what you want then you must show to your staff at the regiment that 1: You want it (so come your DP1 pay attention to the Mines Mod, Demolitions, CMD and search mods). Then #2 you will have to prove to your chain that you do not just want it but rather have 'earned' it or deserved it. EOD & Diver are highly sought after at the CER regiments. 4ESR seems to be doing more of the EOD and IED however so food for thought....

Sent from my LG-V522 using Tapatalk

Great, thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it!

Everyone wants to do EOD. Training is done in Lauvina Woods in Gagetown's training area. Aircraft Weapons Techs and Combat Engineers are eligible for the EOD course, Ammo Techs do IEDD. Like others have said, you need to finish your BMQ, SQ (BMQ-L now?) and DP1 before you're considered for a course slot. There is no definite time period you need to be in Field troop before you can get loaded on an EOD course but showing interest and being good at those particular mods during your course will help.

Good luck.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Everyone wants to do EOD. Training is done in Lauvina Woods in Gagetown's training area. Aircraft Weapons Techs and Combat Engineers are eligible for the EOD course, Ammo Techs do IEDD. Like others have said, you need to finish your BMQ, SQ (BMQ-L now?) and DP1 before you're considered for a course slot. There is no definite time period you need to be in Field troop before you can get loaded on an EOD course but showing interest and being good at those particular mods during your course will help.

Good luck.

Ammo Techs do 3 months of EOD as part of our QL3 along with the majority of our 5's. Ammo getting on the IEDD is also pretty rare as most spots are taken by the Engineers and Clearance Divers. I'm told some spots could open up for Ammo in the future. I came from the Crewman trade and choose Ammo Tech when I got back in so I could get into EOD work. Ammo Techs do the majority of EOD in Canada but not all, it does depend on base. I know in Halifax it's handled by the Clearance Divers, and I'm not sure if the Engineers handle calls in Gagetown or if it's Ammo.

From my experience most guys that went to the C-IED squadron with hopes of getting their EOD courses already had their QL5 (DP2) with a few exceptions of course due to manning or luck. They stayed in the troop as EROC drivers (for buffalos and huskies) and maybe did some high risk search stuff. It seemed like a few good guys (or maybe whoever the sgt picks) might get sent on their #2s. I havent been at 4ESR for 2 years though, and they recently went through a re-org.

It would take a couple years after training to get your QL5 and it would depend on your luck after that. I would say minimum 5 years after joining to get more then CMD.

On a side note about the divers, they were having trouble getting people to volunteer for the dive prelim. Lots of young guys these days get a look at how intense it is and don't bother!

Back