• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat engineer closed?

You "just" missed it too my friend.

My kid brother was told there was 128 positions for it back in ... July. I dropped him off at Borden September 12th to start.

Keep on truckin

well my first choice was infantry, they never told me Inf. was closed or not. They called and offered me Combat engineer amd i accpeted i didnt know that it was almost closed :eek:

FDO said:
"Closed" is a term we use to describe whether there are any opening. It doesn't matter, Officer or NCM. Combat Engineer (NCM) is closed, Construction Engineer (Officer) is still open.

Every Recruiting Centre has access to the numbers of openings in ALL trades. It is a realtime number. I can tell you exactly at any given time (from my office) how many openings there are in any trade in the CF.

Why they didin't tell you it was close to closing could be for any number of reasons. We do, on occasion get runs on trades. We may have several of the same trade get selected on the same day. Toronto has 4 Dets that cover over 7 million people. It's not uncommon to select 4 or 5 of one trade at a time. Now consider there are 10 other Centres with several Dets each. When you started the process there could have been 8 or 10 positions. After two weeks that goes down to 4 then next day 0. 

It happens. Make the call, wait or take another trade. Makes no difference to us except that your file is gathering dust. Alas bear in mind, summer in Bootcamp isn't all that much fun either!

I'll take the heat and the rain over the cold and the snow any day  :p .

The only reason I said that thing about the heads up is that it would have been nice to know my odds you know? My interviewer told me there was "lots" of spots open, and then the trade closes two days later. That's the only reason I felt a bit frustrated, because I know that the recruiters have access to some sort of database from asking questions when I was first starting the application process.

I've decided I'll wait it out. What trade I take may make no difference to you, but it makes a pretty big difference to me. I don't want to commit to something long term when I'm iffy on whether or not it's something I want to do, you know? I can wait 6 months if it means I get to spend the next 4 years doing what I want with absolutely no regrets.

Thanks for the response FDO.

Sometimes it's funny how the trades fill. Last year we didn't think we were going to get enough Infantry and Combat Engineers. This year they both closed in the summer. I never thought we'd fill either of those trades never mind as fast as we did. We were looking for 285 Combat engineers this year. Must be a good job.

Keep on your Recruiting Centre. Call them up once a month and just ask if there have been any changes. When you call follow Otis' advice. Speak clearly and slowly so we understand who we are talking to and have your service number handy so we can find you in our system. Be polilte. We deal with a lot of people everyday so make sure you make it as easy for us as possible to get you the info you need.

FDO said:
We were looking for 285 Combat engineers this year. Must be a good job.
I'll take the heat and the rain over the cold and the snow any day  :p
Maybe word's gotten out that Combat Engineers don't have to work in the cold or snow  ;)

Journeyman said:
Maybe word's gotten out that Combat Engineers don't have to work in the cold or snow  ;)

I never did, how positively bourgois.

If you were looking for 285 Combat Engineers, how many Infantry were you looking for ??

:)

665 total across all three regiments. PPCLI, RCR, 22nd

Hello, I'm wondering if I have been given false information by recruiter, I had my interview sept 29 , 09 . I also applied for combat engineer , the recruiter told me there were still around 30 openings , should I call back this week and see if there was a mistake?

Bob1987 said:
Hello, I'm wondering if I have been given false information by recruiter, I had my interview sept 29 , 09 . I also applied for combat engineer , the recruiter told me there were still around 30 openings , should I call back this week and see if there was a mistake?

You know Bob; that may be a good idea.  The guys here would never post false information now would they?

The advice of waiting it out and competing against a much larger number of prospects in the future, or selecting a Trade that interests you and is open , is here to get you thinking.  Some will opt out and wait.  Others may find that there is some other Trade that they will like to try.  In some cases, those who are opting for the wait, will find that the Trade they waited for, for so long, really isn't what they thought and may land up wanting out of it later. 

We can't live your life for you.  We can give you advice.  It is up to you whether you listen to it or not.

My interviews and medical info has already been sent away for review , after thinking about it for a day I figured I don't want to wait 6 months min to get into the trade I am most interested in . Considering above info , how do I go about contacting who is in charge of my file and letting them know I'm open to othe trades? Also ... If I change my application to a job that is in high demand will that speed up the process of enrollment ?

Not an issue. Just call your file manager at the RC and let them know. Yes, you will process quicker if you choose a high priority trade. You will have to redo part of your interview that deals with the occupation you choose. the rest of your processing  is still good so the medical won't have to be redone. I would act soon if you want Artilleryman as it is filling fast. Good Luck.

George Wallace said:
You know Bob; that may be a good idea.  The guys here would never post false information now would they?

The advice of waiting it out and competing against a much larger number of prospects in the future, or selecting a Trade that interests you and is open , is here to get you thinking.  Some will opt out and wait.  Others may find that there is some other Trade that they will like to try.  In some cases, those who are opting for the wait, will find that the Trade they waited for, for so long, really isn't what they thought and may land up wanting out of it later. 

We can't live your life for you.  We can give you advice.  It is up to you whether you listen to it or not.

Amen to that.

Thanks a lot for all the advice you guys have given us new guys who can't seem to tell their ass from their elbows. Even when some of the members on this board seemed condescending, I'd look over my post and realised I didn't need to ask that question. Good job guys.

Back