• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cold Weather Policy - DND Ceremonial

Don't use the runway very often anymore, but still crosswind across highway by the open field and walkway across from MP gate/shack

As  an ex QM of the Guards, those greatcoats are heavy and presumeably warm. However have you ever heard a band, especially brass , play in cold weather? Not pleasant.

Having stood outside on the Parade Square at RMC a number of mornings when it was well into the -20Cs still air temp ( and the wind always blows in Kingston it seems), let me state it was damn cold, even with a greatcoat, and shetland lamb hats and gloves. I guess these are kindler gentler days, less that nasty old war in Afghanistan, for the CF as a whole.

Maybe global warming really is occuring.  Here we are complaining about - 20 being cold, when it used to be the average winter temperature.  Jackets and gloves would come off when it warmed up to -15.  It wasn't really cold until it dipped into the -40 range.

I still remember being a guard commander of a group of service battalion tradespeople who were sent to the Legion in Pet 11 Nov 84. The Guard WO was a POS whiny Air Force electronics  whiz kid. Forecast was +2c andlight snow flurries so I told the troops to wear their long undies as we likely would NOT be wearing raincoats on top of CF Greens, which looked stupid with bloused SSF boots. Besides all those old vets (and there were a lot from WW2) wear standin out in their legion jackets, medals etc, not a coat to be seen. It was not cold, and the snow was light big fluffy flakes. Next morning the RSM ( a miserable SOB who couldn't udder two words without one of them being **** or ****) was on my case as to why I went without raincoats as WO C ( I still remember his name 26 yrs later) had complained. What a bunch of whimps, 80 year old men standing out there and a bunch of twenty something supposed SSF soldiers could not do the same thing.

Perhaps they could strike a brand new medal for service in uncomfortable weather.

csl1840l.jpg

a78jumper said:
As  an ex QM of the Guards, those greatcoats are heavy and presumeably warm. However have you ever heard a band, especially brass , play in cold weather? Not pleasant.

Having stood outside on the Parade Square at RMC a number of mornings when it was well into the -20Cs still air temp ( and the wind always blows in Kingston it seems), let me state it was damn cold, even with a greatcoat, and shetland lamb hats and gloves. I guess these are kindler gentler days, less that nasty old war in Afghanistan, for the CF as a whole.

Even worse, bagpipes. I remember one Nov 11th (when the weather was around 5 degrees or so and raining) and after not being played for roughly 15 minutes the sound they made (assuming they made any sound at all) when we started playing was, quite literally, like cats screaming. Although it was toasty warm under kilts and the wool piper's tunics.

I stand by my thoughts, bannerman's sarcasm aside, few people are going to go out to watch a ceremony in minus 20 degree weather. Why bother sending a bunch of troops out too? We get lots of crowds out to watch the CG in the summer, I doubt we'd get 10 people willing to stand out and watch the same ceremony during an Ottawa winter. 

Isn't the band thing a bit of a red herring? Does inspecting the guard of honour require a band or pipes? Seems to me it has more to do with a slacker GG and a lazy DND.

bannerman said:
Isn't the band thing a bit of a red herring? Does inspecting the guard of honour require a band or pipes? Seems to me it has more to do with a slacker GG and a lazy DND.

::)

and your background in this subject?

bannerman said:

All that being just your opinion of course.

One which, by the way, I don't happen to be in agreement with you on.

If you wear a thermal top underneath your greatcoat, you can be quite comfortable. As I have done a few ceremonial taskings at Rideau Hall out in the cold/wind etc.  a thermal top under a greatcoat works.

bannerman said:

Actually, military music plays a major role in many ceremonial activities. Look at the size of the bloody CG band during the summer, as an example. Very often you'll have a band (brass and reed or pipes and drums) or a lone piper for an honour guard inspection, repat, etc.

Come to mention it, what IS your background in all this? I haven't met many troops (outside of the band geeks like I used to be) that enjoy parading around, and even then, standing at attention for what seems like forever to wait for some dignitary to give you a passing glance is about as fun as a hernia. As much as I can recall, being tasked to an honour guard is a task sought after as much as a swift kick in the nuts.

November 11/ 1985 my Pipe Band was playing at the local cenotaph. -23 with 50km winds. Me in a kilt, glengarry, and no gloves (obviously).
So cold, in fact, that we had to replace 2 leather bags due to freezing and cracking.
Why did we stand out there playing in that weather? So that 24 years later, I'd have a great cold weather story!

ffhammer said:
November 11/ 1985 my Pipe Band was playing at the local cenotaph. -23 with 50km winds. Me in a kilt, glengarry, and no gloves (obviously).
So cold, in fact, that we had to replace 2 leather bags due to freezing and cracking.
Why did we stand out there playing in that weather? So that 24 years later, I'd have a great cold weather story!

Think over your post again.

ArmyVern said:
All that being just your opinion of course.

One which, by the way, I don't happen to be in agreement with you on.

Don't feed the troll Vern.

ffhammer said:

Were you playing continuously or were the pipes not played for any period of time? Because I can tell you that after even a few minutes in the cold the reeds would freeze up from the moisture and would sound like the pipes from hell, if they made any noise at all.

And where on earth were you when it was -23 in November? Baffin Island?

troll? oh, I geddit. If I disagree with DND policy, I am not entitled to an opinion. 
firing_squad_2.jpg

bannerman said:
troll? oh, I geddit. If I disagree with DND policy, I am not entitled to an opinion. 

Just out of curiosity, are you at all familiar with DND policy?  Do you actually understand how these decisions are made, when they are made, and how they are carried out?

bannerman,
You can dissagree with DND policy all you want.  A lot of here do not agree with official policy.  This forum is not DND and we often vent our spleen

If you put out a well thought out post, there won't be a problem and you won't be considered a troll...

Obviously, some have had issues with the nature & direction of your posts.

Piper said:
Were you playing continuously or were the pipes not played for any period of time? Because I can tell you that after even a few minutes in the cold the reeds would freeze up from the moisture and would sound like the pipes from hell, if they made any noise at all.

And where on earth were you when it was -23 in November? Baffin Island?
We played to the Cenotaph and then stood. When it was time to leave, we marched with pipes down, since, as you asid, nothing was working. Younger members rode back to the Legion in cars, while we die hards marched.
And it was in Sudbury. Just one of those early winter cold snaps that come along once in a while.

Back