• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cold Weather Policy - DND Ceremonial

Max the Axe? Are you familiar with that gentleman?

It wasn't him.
I see this thread has taken several tangents, from winter DEUs to pregnancy & dress and now to Max. :warstory:

OldSolduer said:
I see this thread has taken several tangents, from winter DEUs to pregnancy & dress and now to Max. :warstory:

Time for a split, a lock or a move to Radio Chatter.  ;)

Err... why ???
we've wavered a little bit but, all in all, have kept true to discussing unit activities during cold weather.

Still a lot of cold weather stories out there waiting to get out....

ArmyVern said:
Wes,

They can be employed. I meant "parade" in the truest "parade" (with marching/forming up et al) sense of the word. On A Class, they may show up on night - they may not. Why pay out the expense to kit them out in maternity uniforms (they get more than one) when they may/may not show up to 'work'? After finding out they're pregnant - perhaps around 8 weeks - that leaves approx 32 nights of wearing it for 2-3 hours (if they show every single night).

Is it worth the expense when most women are much more comfortable wearing honest-to-goodness maternity clothing anyway? They aren't supposed to be working any weekends etc as their chits read "regular work, meals, sleeping hours".

Believe you me --- most of them were very thankful of that rule.

Seen.

At least there is CADPAT preggo outfits  ;D

Cheers,

Wes

Waiting for someone to slip on the ice and seriously hurt themselves.  Fell twice on an easy tac/flak vest march.

.... still recovering from knee injury I got in Nov 2007 !!!

Lousy WWBs - even the "new" soles aren't worth a piece of $hit !

geo said:
.... still recovering from knee injury I got in Nov 2007 !!!

Lousy WWBs - even the "new" soles aren't worth a piece of $hit !

From Tease Clothe the Soldier:

How is CTS addressing the slipperiness of the WWB sole?

Clothe the Soldier (CTS) discussed cold weather wear problems associated with the Wet Weather Boot (WWB) VIBRAM® Sierra 1276M sole in The Maple Leaf, Vol. 5 No. 45 (4 December 2002). CF personnel had reported that the WWB's "high wear" material sole did not provide adequate grip on ice and snow below -10°C.

Despite repeated bulletins issued by CTS staff advising that the WWB was not intended to be worn in extreme cold temperatures, soldiers continued to do so. Naturally, personnel continued to report that the WWB lacked "grip" on some surfaces in temperatures below freezing. In March 2003, the CTS Project Team and the WWB technical authority began looking for an alternative sole which would provide an increased "coefficient of friction," thereby providing better traction on slippery surfaces and extend the performance range of the boot.

In consultation with private industry and support from the Quality Engineering Test Establishment, a "compound" sole developed by VIBRAM® designated Traction Compound (TC) 1 was selected as a possible product improvement for the WWB. Based on industrial laboratory tests and research material, CTS expects that the TC 1 sole will provide a reduction in hardness in sustained cold and will increase the coefficient of friction. In addition, abrasion, i.e., durability, should compare favourably to the existing sole.

As part of an ongoing initiative to identify the best solution and a phased approach to mitigate "slip and fall" incidents, CTS has ordered 6,500 pairs of WWBs fitted with the VIBRAM® TC 1 sole. These boots are scheduled for delivery in early 2004 and will filter into the supply system as they come off the production line. While CTS anticipates that the VIBRAM® TC 1 sole will be an improvement, it may not be the "best" possible solution. CTS, in conjunction with representatives from the footwear industry, is continuing the search for technically improved composites. Plans to conduct local trials and cold chamber tests on two or three other alternatives are being finalized and will be implemented shortly.

Until such time as CTS can determine and implement the best possible solution, personnel are once again reminded that the WWB was never designed for wear below -10°C; - it is not a "Cold" Wet Weather Boot. Although the boot has exceeded performance expectations with respect to warmth and comfort below -10°C, the WWB is not ideal for wear in extreme cold temperatures. In conditions below -10°C, soldiers must consider switching to the mukluk as the preferred option.

and

Resoling

Wet Weather Boot Resoling

This is a “Safety” issue. It is a “High Priority” item. It is a Product Improvement. The new soles have been hollowed to increase flexibility and minimize weight.

WWB Sole Selection

Vibram® “Dri-Ice” Anti-Slip Sole designed specifically for DND. Soles were trialed and accepted by soldiers as the “ultimate” anti-slip solution. Sole is being adopted by major boot suppliers, oil companies, the US Marine Corp and Allies.
WWB Resoling Plan Summary

Objective: Resole up to 200,000 pairs (8,000 per month). Funding:  Funded by the CTS project. Team: CTS PMO working with Unit personnel, Supply System and Chain of Command to ensure success. Schedule: To be completed by the end of 2009. Contracting:  One contract to control quality & price. Procedures: To be included in the PIP. Database: To be maintained by PMO CTS but accessible by units for tracking purposes. Base Responsibilities: Collect, Inspect,Tag and Ship all boots to contractor

Heh... wear mucklucks to the office & Area HQ ? Yeah - right !

Does that mean I get to wear tent slippers inside the HQ bldg when I pop into the area commander's office with documents he has to sign ?

Now if only there were mukluks in the system... but they're a restricted piece of kit, which makes conducting winter training somewhat problematic, when soldiers aren't issued the kit they need.

dapaterson said:
Now if only there were mukluks in the system... but they're a restricted piece of kit, which makes conducting winter training somewhat problematic, when soldiers aren't issued the kit they need.

You have got to be shitting me dapaterson.

dapaterson said:
Out of curiosity who or what are mukluks restricted to? I could not imagine trying to train soldiers out here in Wainwright without them having mukluks.

Sapper... I have it on good authority that DAP would never kid a sapper (at least not on such a subject)  :salute:

geo said:
Sapper... I have it on good authority that DAP would never kid a sapper (at least not on such a subject)  :salute:

I know geo but still seems a tad bit strange

There are at last count 93 different items restricted due to shortages in the system.  Mukluks among them.  And I've given up hoping that someday men's large underwear will be available...

HA!!
Went thru Longue Pointe QM this morning.... They have Large !!!
So I've got fresh underwear for the next little while :)

Good news.

What was the reason for the six to eight months without there being any in the Supply System?

Back